Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Kermit1941

Does it take two to start a fight?

I remember my mom angrily telling my siblings that it takes two to start a fight. I adopted this as an axiom.

My faith in this axiom was severely tested in my fifth grade of school.

I'm walking toward the school bus after school. I suddenly became accurately aware of another boy about my age, about a dozen feet away, talking to his older brother, saying "That's him", and pointing to me.

Immediately, his older brother strode over, and begin to pummel me. I did not want to fight. After being hit three or four times, I decided that I'd better start hitting back.

Fortunately for me, after getting only two or three hits back, we were separated by an adult teacher.

I still think that the axiom "It takes two to fight." has some validity. However, the meaning of the axiom needs to be carefully explained.

It takes great skill to avoid a fight with someone who is primed to fight.

Very few people have developed these skills.

We need to teach our kids these skills.

Kermit < [email protected] >
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    MsTerry

Re: Does it take two to start a fight?

Well, I guess I have to side with your mom on this one.
    having 2 kids of my own, I know it takes 2 to start a fight.
    but the the operative word here is siblings...............

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Kermit1941: View Post
    I remember my mom angrily telling my siblings that it takes two to start a fight. I adopted this as an axiom....
    Last edited by Barry; 02-05-2008 at 10:59 AM.

3. TopTop #3
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MsTerry: View Post
    having 2 kids of my own, I know it takes 2 to start a fight.
    And how old are these kids? And how old are you?

In another post you said you graduated high school two years ago. You must work quickly if these kids are already fighting.

-Jeff

4. TopTop #4
    MsTerry

Jeff,
    Maybe you should reread that post!
    After you wrote this
    Quote I hope you're at least high school age and that you actually do go or at least went to school for a while. That would help with understanding the author.
    I wrote this tongue in cheeck
    Quote I graduated from Analy 2 years ago, no need for you to put me down.
    Did you go to Anally High?
    maybe I should have spelled it Anal-ly High, and you would have gotten it right away since you are such a sharp guy, and you also have accused me of having a perverse way of playing with names.

Jeff, I have nothing against you, but it appears that you have been using me as your personal punchingbag. Several of your posts were direct attacks aimed at me. When you start to portray someone as stupid and or ignorant you are either rude (when it is true) or trying to get a reaction (when it isn't true).
    I now know that you have experienced a great personal loss in your life, and that you possibly are directing some of your anger and powerlessness about this event towards me. Which is sad since you know that I too have lost some one recently, but from your anger I surmise that your loss was more than a year ago.
    I don't know if you are aware of this, but grief counseling is available free of charge through hospice programs.

I wish you all the best and strength you need to see and get to the end of the tunnel.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    And how old are these kids? And how old are you?

In another post you said you graduated high school two years ago. You must work quickly if these kids are already fighting.

-Jeff

5. TopTop #5
    Lenny

It has been my experience that MORE OFTEN it takes three to be at cause for a fight between two. After realizing this I started watching the dynamics of a fight and it turned out to be true!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Kermit1941: View Post
    I remember my mom angrily telling my siblings that it takes two to start a fight. I adopted this as an axiom.

My faith in this axiom was severely tested in my fifth grade of school.

I'm walking toward the school bus after school. I suddenly became accurately aware of another boy about my age, about a dozen feet away, talking to his older brother, saying "That's him", and pointing to me.

Immediately, his older brother strode over, and begin to pummel me. I did not want to fight. After being hit three or four times, I decided that I'd better start hitting back.

Fortunately for me, after getting only two or three hits back, we were separated by an adult teacher.

I still think that the axiom "It takes two to fight." has some validity. However, the meaning of the axiom needs to be carefully explained.

It takes great skill to avoid a fight with someone who is primed to fight.

Very few people have developed these skills.

We need to teach our kids these skills.

Kermit < [email protected] >