Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    flygal

Does A Local Internet Provider Exist?

Hi there, We are fed up with these huge corporations that provide internet and phone services and are seeking an alternative if one exists.

Do you know of any local companies that provide high speed internet access that would not require us to use AT&T or Comcast services? Thanks
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    "Mad" Miles

Re: Does A Local Internet Provider Exist?

Well... Sonic.net is local, but you need a landline, which means using AT&T for that. I have sonic.net DSL on my AT&T phone connection.

As for other DSL or T1 access, sorry, can't help you. Anybody else?

"M"M

P.S. As for high speed connection, anyone not at The Lemon Limelights and Stiff Dead Cat's CD release at the Mystic tonight, missed it!

:phone1:

3. TopTop #3
    glenclem

I have used Pacific Online for 8 years, they are in Santa Rosa. They offer a dsl package and have good rates. They also offer free web sites for non-profits. If you mention my name (glen clements) I can get points off my costs.
    thanx & good luck. There are ways around the big corporations.
    Glen

Quote Posted in reply to the post by flygal: View Post
    Hi there, We are fed up with these huge corporations that provide internet and phone services and are seeking an alternative if one exists.

Do you know of any local companies that provide high speed internet access that would not require us to use AT&T or Comcast services? Thanks

4. TopTop #4
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

I switched awhile back from AT&T to Working Assets for my landline service; they donate a percentage of all revenue to a variety of progressive causes, AND when you join, you get coupons for a free pint of Ben & Jerry's every month for a year, as well as 6 months' worth of free long-distance calls! Good service, too; when Verizon "mistakenly" didn't change my local long-distance to Working Assets and sent me a bill, the Working Assets person put me on a conference call with them, and cleared it right up.

For Internet service I use MCN (Mendocino Coast Network) which is a non-profit company owned by the school district. I've had no cause for complaints there, either. It's not high-speed here, though; there aren't any cables, so it's a satellite dish or slow-speed.

Sara S

Last edited by Sara S; 06-18-2007 at 05:29 AM.

5. TopTop #5
    helenscott08

SONIC.net is REALLY a SUPERIOR ISP. When you need the advice or help of a tech, all you have to do is dial direct to the tech support and a tech person answers. They are very capable and courteous tech people and you NEVER have to PUNCH THIS OR THAT to get to such and such a person or department.

The downsize is that YES, you have to use AT&T to get the Sonic because they SUB CONTRACT with them in order to be able to offer the internet service.

Again, the Sonic company is really working to help everyone in best possible manner. And, you can several free email addresses with Sonic.

helen scott
    [email protected]

6. TopTop #6
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

I also recommend Sonic.net! They are a local company that offers excellent service and support! That's why I chose Sonic.net to host WaccoBB.net.

If you switch to Sonic.net, please consider putting down my email address ([email protected]) as the person who referred you. It's a free and easy way of supporting WaccoBB.net! Thanks!

Barry

7. TopTop #7
    spam1

Try POGOWAVE

I've been using them for 3 years, and after a bit of a shaky start, they've really become a good provider. And you don't need to use ANY of the existing infrastructure. They come out to your house and put up a small antenna (like a dish TV antenna) and you're on the air. This is a great option for those of us out in the west county where you don't get cable, or DSL. Better than satellite, and cheaper too.

8. TopTop #8
    Indiwren

We just moved here and I needed a high-speed connection to work remotely. We have Earthlink. We had to buy bundled digital phone with DSL to get the speed I needed. The catch, you have to be located near a distribution center and it's hard to find out where one is. When you call to ask about service, you have to give them your current phone number and address so they can see if you are in a good location. They go in on the same lines that ATT uses.
    Fortunately, we're within 2000 ft. of a center. I spent several hours last week talking to support people in Manilla and India trying to get a stable connection. Yesterday I had an almost perfect connection. Crossing my fingers, I don't want to support those monsters that are trying to control Internet access.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-19-2007 at 08:35 AM.

9. TopTop #9
    Tars

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    I also recommend Sonic.net! They are a local company that offers excellent service and support! That's why I chose Sonic.net to host WaccoBB.net.
    I'm glad to see they're working for you as a website host. I was a sonic.net client for close to 10 years. Heh...when started my account there, I think they they still had one server, which was in a room at Dane's mom's house! I echo everyone's compliments about their excellent level of customer service. There also was an excellent little "in-ISP" community on "sonic.general" their local newsgroup.

With regret I left sonic.net, because they had an unfortunately expensive policy for hosting websites - they charged both a yearly and an extra monthly fee that was unjustified in my opinion. Hopefully they've changed that pricing policy for their current web-hosting users. Also, and more importantly, they didn't offer DSL or higher where I live, in a semi-rural area. They charged about twice what many other basic internet providers charge for basic dial-up access, but at the time it was a small price to pay for their increased service.

If you don't mind paying the little bit extra for sonic, and you feel you need the customer assistance that larger ISP's may not provide, and you don't live in a rural area where you still desire above dial-up access speeds, sonic.net is a good way to go.

10. TopTop #10
    gailjane

I don't believe you can connect to any provider without first using AT&T for your land line connection.
    I would highly recommend Sonic.net as an internet provider. They have excellent service.
    If I'm not correct please correct me, I'd like to not have to go through AT&T. Working Asset only provides long distance and toll calls, you still have to pay AT&T for a land line to your home.
    Don't forget to if you join sonic to tell them Barry sent you.
    Happiness,
    Gail