Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Katy

Sonoma County Environmental Resource Guide

Hello Everyone!
    The time is finally here: The Sonoma County Environmental Resource Guide has been given to every branch of the Sonoma County Regional Library System. Sebastopol Library already has its copies, and the others will be receiving theirs in the next week. Copperfield's Bookstore in Sebastopol also has also received copies.
    For those of you who haven't read my previous posts, this is a guide I wrote for my senior thesis, on current environmental issues occuring right here in our county. It also has a listing of local environmental organizations, and a section with tips, and other resourceful piece of information.
    I have also contacted REI and Whole Foods and they will both be carrying it shortly. To read an online version of the guide, please go to www.owlfoundation.net or simply Google "Sonoma County Environmental Resource Guide." It comes up as the first hit (!).
    Thank you very much,
    Katherina Haug
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    lynn

Re: Sonoma County Environmental Resource Guide

Sonoma County Environmental Resource Guide?...

I have one major 'environmental' request...For Sonoma County, Calif. and the whole Southwest...

"STOP OVERPOPULATING, and STOP BUILDING, there's not enough WATER...And all the other plants and creatures could use a breather!...

3. TopTop #3
    Dixon

Re: Sonoma County Environmental Resource Guide

Quote Posted in reply to the post by lynn: View Post
    STOP OVERPOPULATING...
    Right on! I'm astounded at how many people who are otherwise quite progressive don't seem to understand that it's NOT progressive to have as many kids as you want. Overpopulation is a main factor in most of the problems we face--pollution, resource depletion, war, physical and mental illness, mass extinction, global warming, traffic congestion, etc. ad nauseum. All you "earth mothers" and "earth fathers" who are so enamored of the miracle of birth, dig this--in a world which is dying from human overpopulation, it is morally wrong to have more children than the replacement rate (i.e., one child per parent). Those of you who feel compelled to have more kids than that, find some kids who are already here, just waiting to be adopted by loving parents.

I made the choice not to bring any more hungry mouths into the world and got my vasectomy in 1980, and have never regretted it. I urge all of you who know you don't want children, and those of you who have already produced one child (or more) per parent, to get clipped!

Here's a relevant poem I wrote recently, in which I attempt to counterbalance the popular "Motherhood is beautiful" dogma with another side of the issue. (For those who are interested in poetry, it's a relatively rare form, a 16-line sonnet):

Motherhood

In love or lust alike, she radiates
    her pheromonal philter through the air,
    insinuating serpent to ensnare,
    who, spitting venom, seals both their fates.

Invaded thusly by the hungry seeds,
    her belly is a garden without light,
    to nurture the blood-suckling parasite
    that stretches and distorts her as it feeds.

Infected by this growth, her youth expires,
    replaced by mother, born in clench and gore,
    as alien bursts through her battered door,
    to make the world a slave to its desires.

So Mother Earth gives birth to matricide
    by progeny like locusts on the land.
    This plague of children will not understand:
    We are the cross on which She’s crucified.