Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    vdeva

Suzanne Swift Needs Your Support

Here is another heartbreaking update on Suzanne Swift from her mother. I just email contacted all Senate Armed Services Committee members with a request that they condemn the actions taken by the Army against Suzanne.
    Can you send messages to lists and these same Senators to take action on her behalf?

Vicki

Here are their names and party affiliation:
    FULL COMMITTEE MEMBERS OF SENATE ARMED SERVICES COMMITTEE

https://armed-services.senate.gov/members.htm This link will provide individual links to their web pages with email contacts.

DEMOCRATS

Carl Levin (Michigan)
    Chairman

Edward M. Kennedy (Massachusetts)
    Robert C. Byrd (West Virginia)
    Joseph I. Lieberman (Connecticut)
    Jack Reed (Rhode Island)
    Daniel K. Akaka (Hawaii)
    Bill Nelson (Florida)
    E. Benjamin Nelson (Nebraska)
    Evan Bayh (Indiana)
    Hillary Rodham Clinton (New York)
    Mark L. Pryor (Arkansas)
    Jim Webb (Virginia)
    Claire McCaskill (Missouri)

REPUBLICANS

John McCain (Arizona)
    Ranking Member

John W. Warner (Virginia)
    James M. Inhofe (Oklahoma)
    Jeff Sessions (Alabama)
    Susan M. Collins (Maine)
    John Ensign (Nevada)
    Saxby Chambliss (Georgia)
    Lindsey O. Graham (South Carolina)
    Elizabeth Dole (North Carolina)
    John Cornyn (Texas)
    John Thune (South Dakota)
    Mel Martinez (Florida)

------ Forwarded Message
    Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 20:10:06 +0100
    To:
    Subject: Good Order and Discipline

Good Order and Discipline
    >From Suzanne's case to the world at large

In thinking about this phrase "Good Order and Discipline" and its impact on my family, I have to come to the conclusion that the people defining "Good Order and Discipline" for Suzanne’s case are comparable to the Commander and Chief. They share his Ignorance and Arrogance and appear incapable of vision beyond the aggressive, authoritarian, paternalistic, moralistic, punitive attitude.

There were many opportunities for the Army to equitably enforce "Good Order and Discipline" in my daughter's case. The Equal Opportunity Officer could have honored her complaint about the Platoon Sgt. and investigated, rather than dismissing Suzanne, thereby making her feel abandoned and at the mercy of her abuser. I cannot believe that no one else knew what the MoLester was doing. Shame on the 66th MP company command for not protecting Suzanne. The Squad Leader MoLester should have been held accountable for his actions. Where is their sense of "Good Order and Discipline in a combat zone for a 19 year old private? Did they knowingly allow the MoLester to have easy access to her with nods and winks between battle buddies?

Suzanne returned from Iraq damaged and scared, but working hard to keep her "military bearing" and perform her duty as an MP. She was moved to another Unit where she was again sexually harassed with comments like: "What color are your panties, Swift?" "Report to my bed naked in the morning, Swift" She tolerated this at first, but finally reported him and was treated like a traitor or even a criminal. Is it Good Order and Discipline that the victims of sex abuse are interrogated, humiliated, and further abused by the system that is supposed to protect them?

Over the last year, hundreds of soldiers and veterans have contacted us about their experience with military sexual violence. In each of these reports the military appears to condone and perhaps even support sexual assault by male soldiers. How is this Good Order and Discipline? Again the knowing wink and nod: “Boys will be boys.” The devastation experienced by victims breaks my heart and I am consistently reminded that this archaic institution is not only demeaning the victims but it is creating a dynamic in the sexual predators that results in abuse beyond the parameters of war into mainstream American society. This type of moral ambiguity sets a dangerous president. Who will be the next victims to join Melissa, Jessica, Lawanda, Jason, and so many others.

The military justice system is by these ignorant and destructive policies corrupting the moral fabric of an institution established to serve and protect our Nation. The Military claims to be so honorable and disciplined, yet those in charge are allowing the soldiers in their commands to rape and abuse other soldiers without being held accountable. What are we as parents and families of loved ones supposed to do when we see the military treating our children as chattel and ruining their futures?

I for one will not ever stop fighting for my daughter’s deserved freedom. Suzanne was abused by individuals in the US Army and she continues to be abused by the military justice system, which has forced her to serve time in a military prison, not allowing her to have the medical discharge she needs. It is abominable that anyone would even consider sending a sex abuse victim to prison. When she was hospitalized in the psych unit on base three weeks ago, you can imagine my fear. She survived these trials, but today she called me crying because she is so devastated by the institution that allowed these men to hurt her. For those of you wondering about Suzanne, although she got through the court martial, things are certainly not resolved. She is still suffering and feels humiliated because she was stripped of her rank. It is difficult for her to get dressed in her uniform now. Every day she is reminded of being demoted, which adds to her depression and anxiety. How can it be a part of good order and discipline to degrade soldier who has returned from combat?

Do our young people have to be subjugated to maintain Good Order and Discipline? Is demanding sexual favors part of this? In the stories I have heard, person after person has told us what happened to them and how they were the ones punished for the crimes committed against them. WHO is responsible for making the decisions that create this moral vacuum? Who in the US Military going to step up and demand that this stop? These are not isolated incidents. Our sons and daughters are experiencing rape, harassment, threats, and intimidation. All the policies in place are not stopping the abuse. This blatant immorality is a plague ruining the lives of thousands of our soldiers.

Where are the civil rights of our soldiers? Who gives the military the authority to deprive our children of their human rights when they voluntarily become soldiers? Who is perpetuating this violence against them? Who can hold the military accountable? Do we all need to take on some responsibility for allowing this to happen? US Congress? US Senate? Your help is needed to stop this madness on every level.

Colonel Katherine Miller, what point are you trying to prove by refusing to allow Suzanne a discharge? Has being in the military stripped you of your compassion and humanity? We know it is you that is standing in the way of Suzanne's much deserved healing. I pray you or your daughter are never sexually abused, and if you are that you meet up with people that understand and are helpful. You are a disgrace to our gender and the role of mother's everywhere. When we had our conversation this summer you told me this would end badly. I did not realize that you were threatening me. You fit the stereotypical "female in military command" model and have turned into a "Yes woman." Who is pulling you strings?

Free my daughter Suzanne. That would be the highest level of Good Order and Discipline I could think of. Secondly, bring our troops home. Not one more life should be sacrificed. General Dubick, stop making an example out of Suzanne and Ehren. Their courage is the highest level of honor our military could hope to have.

On a personal note, I know that my daughter and I will continue to seek justice, but how does this happen in a system which appears to lack Good Order or Discipline?

Peace~

Sara Rich, M.S.W.
    proud parent of Suzanne, Sonja, Brandy and Jake
    https://suzanneswift.org
    Last edited by WESH; 02-12-2007 at 12:03 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email