Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    bloospirit

looking for window cat door???

Hi....I'm looking for a cat door to fit in my window or sliding glass door....I've found a few but I live out in the country and need one that is magnetized so it'll keep out the racoons and other animals....any ideas on where i can find one of these magnetized doors to fit in a window? Thanks so much~Angela
    *I'm renting and so installing a pet door into a door or wall isn't really an option so I'm exploring other options....
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Vet-To-Pet

Re: looking for window cat door???

Hi~

I've had all sorts of pet doors over the years, and I can usually find what I'm looking for through (catalog or online) "Drs Foster & Smith", a pet supply company. They definitely carry the sliding door style, altho I'm not sure about whether or not it can be made "raccoon proof". The ones that will only allow your own cats to go in & out usually require a special collar/device that your cat wears that activates the door, and other animals can't open the door by sheer pushing. They're usually more expensive than the more common pet doors, and if you have multiple pets/cats using the door, you might have to pay extra for additional collar devices. I've never had that kind myself, & I wonder about what would happen if your cat lost their collar/device & couldn't get back inside...?

Sometimes you can adapt one of the traditional pet doors to prevent wildlife from using them by setting the solid panel that comes with those doors (in order to close/lock the door rather than have it in the "in/out" situation). Depending on the size of the cat/pet using the door, you can insert the solid panel to allow just enough room (up & down) for your cat to slip thru, but stabilize the solid door with something (?) that won't permit larger animals to enter, even with a struggle. It would have to be a pretty strong stabilizer!

Anyway, I hope this helps. Once you search for pet supplies online, you'll probably find several other web sites that have similar products & perhaps one that is "just right" for your situation & budget. Good luck~
    Smiles,
    Paula
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by bloospirit:
    Hi....I'm looking for a cat door to fit in my window or sliding glass door....I've found a few but I live out in the country and need one that is magnetized so it'll keep out the racoons and other animals....any ideas on where i can find one of these magnetized doors to fit in a window? Thanks so much~Angela
    *I'm renting and so installing a pet door into a door or wall isn't really an option so I'm exploring other options....
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email