Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Firefox 2.0 released! Includes Spellchecking!

Has been released!

Of special interest to WaccoBB.net users: it includes SPELLCHECKING!!

To upgrade go here:
    https://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

To use the spell checking feature you'll need to right-click and select "Spell check this field".

You'll also notice that the right click menu also includes the paste option now.

I'll post other observations and tips relevant to WaccoBB.net as I come across them. You can too!

Barry

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Juggledude

Re: Firefox 2.0 released! Includes Spellchecking!

Thanks for the tip Barry, I'm upgrading as we speak...

But no fair using the spellchecking abilities of this browser as an excuse to slack off on the implementation of the new Wacco Beta !

(just keeping you on point)

Royce

p.s. I upgraded to Mozilla Thunderbird for my email yesterday, a refreshing take on an email program.

3. TopTop #3
    Juggledude

Hey, just a quick note on how cool the spellchecker works in Firefox 2...

You don't even have to do the whole right click, run spellchecker thing... it underlines words that are misspelled as you type!

Eat that IE 7 !

Royce

4. TopTop #4
    alanora

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Juggledude:
    Hey, just a quick note on how cool the spellchecker works in Firefox 2...

You don't even have to do the whole right click, run spellchecker thing... it underlines words that are misspelled as you type!

Eat that IE 7 !

Royce
    Boy am I glad...I was hesitant to mention that my mac mouse has only one centralclicker....mindy

5. TopTop #5
    sheryl

Hello Barry,
    I have downloaded the file but my computer refuses to open this -- says the file is corrupt. Do I need to download again with the firewall turned off? Seems like I have done something like this before.

Is anyone else having this problem?
    I could really use the spellcheck.

Thanks , Sheryl

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry:

Has been released!

To upgrade go here:

To use the spell checking feature you'll need to right-click and select "Spell check this field".

You'll also notice that the right click menu also includes the paste option now.

I'll post other observations and tips relevant to WaccoBB.net as I come across them. You can too!

Barry

Last edited by Barry; 11-04-2006 at 01:10 PM.

6. TopTop #6
    Juggledude

Sheryl,

yes, that sounds like a problem with the download, I would suggest trying again.

Royce

7. TopTop #7
    sharingwisdom

I had Mozilla Firefox downloaded by a friend. I looked at the site and cannot figure out, with all the possiblities offered both through thunderbird and firefox, what most of them even mean and whether they would be of use to me.

For right now, I'd like to know how to make my browser look like my ole Internet Explorer for email, having the option to choice bold, italic, underlined, fonts, size, position etc. I'd also like to be able to open attachments with photos and copy them to my camera site w/o having them land up on my desktop. There are also some other gliches around opening up attachments--I'd like to be able to just copy and put them in my Word program without going through a lineup of decisions (separate box to remove and more options) Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is really confusing for me. Thanks

8. TopTop #8
    psaltz

Re: Firefox problems

I had a similar experience: After a three-hour download (I have only a dialup connection), I tried to open Firefox, and an Explorer window opened with a bunch of garbledygook code. Apparently my computer doesn't recognize this as an app. . . I have a Mac with System 10.3.6 and Classic System 9.2.2. How disappointing, because I am REALLY tired of Explorer (the only app that EVER crashes on my computer), and Safari stopped working altogether, and Netscape has become a piece of crap . . .

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sheryl munger:
    Hello Barry,
    I have downloaded the file but my computer refuses to open this -- says the file is corrupt. Do I need to download again with the firewall turned off? Seems like I have done something like this before.

Is anyone else having this problem?
    I could really use the spellcheck.

Thanks , Sheryl

9. TopTop #9
    Juggledude

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wisedragonlady:
    I had Mozilla Firefox downloaded by a friend. I looked at the site and cannot figure out, with all the possiblities offered both through thunderbird and firefox, what most of them even mean and whether they would be of use to me.

For right now, I'd like to know how to make my browser look like my ole Internet Explorer for email, having the option to choice bold, italic, underlined, fonts, size, position etc. I'd also like to be able to open attachments with photos and copy them to my camera site w/o having them land up on my desktop. There are also some other gliches around opening up attachments--I'd like to be able to just copy and put them in my Word program without going through a lineup of decisions (separate box to remove and more options) Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is really confusing for me. Thanks
    Wisedragonlady,

Love the name! Though I don't know the particulars of your situation, operating system, etc, (I notice psaltz has a mac, sorry, I'm clueless there), I've found that many of the "extra steps" that firefox is asking me to look at are actualy for the security and benefit of the user. Stuff that IE would just do automatically now requires me to answer a check box or make a choice. Very confusing and frustrating if one is not quite sure what is being asked, but ultimately, there to protect and to serve.

As with any new experience in life, there is a learning curve involved with a new application, and this can be uncomfortable, at first. My personal experience is that when I have hunkered down and slogged through the difficult process, I have enjoyed the benefits greatly.

Spend some time with the extensive help system, and do a google on mozilla forums to explore further, I bet there's scads of peeps out there with a similar experience to yours.

Royce

10. TopTop #10
    sharingwisdom

Thanks for your suggestions. I don't have the time or inclination to search out blog groups. I'm going to ask my computer guy to help me. I just thought the community might know.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Juggledude:
    Wisedragonlady,

Love the name! Though I don't know the particulars of your situation, operating system, etc, (I notice psaltz has a mac, sorry, I'm clueless there), I've found that many of the "extra steps" that firefox is asking me to look at are actualy for the security and benefit of the user. Stuff that IE would just do automatically now requires me to answer a check box or make a choice. Very confusing and frustrating if one is not quite sure what is being asked, but ultimately, there to protect and to serve.

As with any new experience in life, there is a learning curve involved with a new application, and this can be uncomfortable, at first. My personal experience is that when I have hunkered down and slogged through the difficult process, I have enjoyed the benefits greatly.

Spend some time with the extensive help system, and do a google on mozilla forums to explore further, I bet there's scads of peeps out there with a similar experience to yours.

Royce

11. TopTop #11
    gailjane

Has been released!

To upgrade go here:

Barry

If you need a spell check for your e-mail and don't have one you can download one at: www.spellcheck.net
    I was using it before I switched to Thunderbird and found it very helpful and no problems...
    Good spelling to all, gailjane

12. TopTop #12
    sharingwisdom

I wasn't sure where to jump in on this thread to ask another question about what I initially posted. I guess this will work. My handyman found that what I wanted was the toolbar around my email. On email features, through Internet explorer on my juno account, it has a place to check (click on) "write messages w/rich text using differnet colors, fonts and images." Foxfire has the same check list for my email, but w/o this particular line available to click. We looked online to see how we might get it, even in the foxfire additions, but we saw nothing. Anyone have info? Thanks

13. TopTop #13
    Juggledude

I wasn't sure where to jump in on this thread to ask another question about what I initially posted. I guess this will work. My handyman found that what I wanted was the toolbar around my email. On email features, through Internet explorer on my juno account, it has a place to check (click on) "write messages w/rich text using differnet colors, fonts and images." Foxfire has the same check list for my email, but w/o this particular line available to click. We looked online to see how we might get it, even in the foxfire additions, but we saw nothing. Anyone have info? Thanks
    Juno has many levels of service, what level are you utilizing? from what I read on their website, a juno free user can only access email via a web browser, which sounds like what you are doing...

It might be worth a call to juno's promised 24/7 tech support to get the definitive answer, but it is very possible that the active x controls they have developed for accessing and enhancing their "email on the web" service will only provide full functionality with Internet Explorer.

- Royce

14. TopTop #14
    shadow dancer

Barry,

I just downloaded firefox and it has been helping with showing me what is mispelled. However, I don't know what to right click to spellcheck the field. Could you be more specific? I can not find the spellchecker.

Thanks,

Adam

Has been released!

To upgrade go here:

Barry

15. TopTop #15
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by shadow dancer:
    Barry,

I just downloaded firefox and it has been helping with showing me what is mispelled. However, I don't know what to right click to spellcheck the field. Could you be more specific? I can not find the spellchecker.

Thanks,

Adam
    When posting a new topic or a reply on WaccoBB.net you are presented with a text entry box. Right click anywhere in box (in Windows or whatever the equivalent for you one-button Mac people) and you'll get a popup. Select "Spell check this field" from the menu. See the screen shot below: