Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Lynley

Older pets need homes - family moving overseas

11 year old yellow Lab and 14 year old Calico cat - both females.

Due to the high cost of transportation ($13,000 for both), we are having to find homes for our dear pets. Belle (dog) and Nikki (cat) have been in a family with children, adults, grandparents and other dogs.

Nikki is a typical calico - friendly when she wants to be and independant otherwise. Is good with kids and dogs. She's an indoor/outdoor cat.

Belle was rescued from the Rohnert Park shelter 10 years ago and had a history of abuse and abandonment. She is a sweet dog but still tends to be a bit timid around people she doesn't know and in unfamiliar places. Belle was very helpful to Grandpa when he had Parkinsons disease - she would sit beside him and clean up everytime he shook when he handled food so she is generously sized now. She has always had skin problems but they are easily treated with an antibacterial or anti-itch cream. They have become more frequent as she has aged. She does get spring allergies and needs a benadryl type product then. Belle gets along well with other dogs and cats but she does NOT know how to fight. She has a big bark but is very gentle. She is an indoor/outdoor dog and loves to be around people. She loves to ride in the car but does need help getting in now. She has arthritis in her back hips so our walks are down to 15 minutes a day around Finley Park but she does love to get out.

If you can help with either of our pets we would love to hear from you. Sorry the attached photo is a family one - can't find the cord to my digital camera - I know it's in a box somewhere. We have already adopted out our Shih Tzu to friends.

Answering another member's questions:
    Reasons for moving: 1) aging parents need help now and 2) my husband got a job so now we can help my parents

Employer to pay expenses? Unfortunately no. My husband is a teacher and the school can barely afford his small salary. Moving costs are out of the question for them. Other countries just don't have the same economy as in the US so we are paying for all of this ourselves.

Putting Belle down? Obviously a possibility. It would be easier to do if she was suffering but since it's mainly old age but she is still vibrant and loving, it's harder to do. May be our only option - we leave Mid November so may have no choice.

Thanks in advance,
    Steve, Lynley, Kristy & Katie
    707-578-8912
    [email protected]
    Last edited by Lynley; 10-30-2006 at 01:03 PM. Reason: adding info.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    gypsey

Re: Older pets need homes - family moving overseas

It is apparent that you are caring owners, so I hope you won't be offended if I ask some obvious questions that may occurr to other Wacco BB readers. First is, usually when you move overseas, the employer pays to move the pets. WHy is this not happening in this situation?
    Next, both of your pets are reaching the end of their lives, your dog, especially. If the move overseas is not for employment reasons I have to ask, why now rather than 2-3 years from now when this family member will have passed on. Your dog is at a life stage where any adjustment will be a challenge and she is likely to grieve and suffer severely. Cats adapt differently; but I am not an expert so I hope you check out the life span for labs and cats and the differences in reactions to re-homing.

Again, your posting shows deep caring and consideration for your pets so I cannot imagine the circumstances that are leading to this choice. What I am seeking in my reply is to help you to illuminate your situation in a way that will bring a solution through your posting rather than possible judgement from your readers.

I assume you have contacted lab rescue and other outlets, as well.
    Good luck,
    Gypsey

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lynley:
    11 year old yellow Lab and 14 year old Calico cat - both females.

Due to the high cost of transportation ($13,000 for both), we are having to find homes for our dear pets. Belle (dog) and Nikki (cat) have been in a family with children, adults, grandparents and other dogs.

Nikki is a typical calico - friendly when she wants to be and independant otherwise. Is good with kids and dogs. She's an indoor/outdoor cat.

Belle was rescued from the Rohnert Park shelter 10 years ago and had a history of abuse and abandonment. She is a sweet dog but still tends to be a bit timid around people she doesn't know and in unfamiliar places. Belle was very helpful to Grandpa when he had Parkinsons disease - she would sit beside him and clean up everytime he shook when he handled food so she is generously sized now. She has always had skin problems but they are easily treated with an antibacterial or anti-itch cream. They have become more frequent as she has aged. She does get spring allergies and needs a benadryl type product then. Belle gets along well with other dogs and cats but she does NOT know how to fight. She has a big bark but is very gentle. She is an indoor/outdoor dog and loves to be around people. She loves to ride in the car but does need help getting in now. She has arthritis in her back hips so our walks are down to 15 minutes a day around Finley Park but she does love to get out.

If you can help with either of our pets we would love to hear from you. Sorry the attached photo is a family one - can't find the cord to my digital camera - I know it's in a box somewhere. We have already adopted out our Shih Tzu to friends.

Thanks in advance,
    Steve, Lynley, Kristy & Katie
    707-578-8912
    [email protected]
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email