Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Mita Moni

success with feline hyperthyrodism?

My 18 y.o. female cat was diagnosed with hyper thyroidism last March or Feb. Because of her age she isn't a candidate for radiation therapy or surgery, so she has been on a dose of methimazole, 1/2 tablet twice a day. Now she has been diagosed with severe anemia that the vet thinks may have been caused by the medicine. Have you had any good experiences treating elderly cats with this syndrome? Can you recommend a vet? I work part time, I have CFIDS, and don't have the $ to spend $400 on blood tests every few months. Yet I want a conscientious vet who will do the necessary tests. Maybe the vet I have is fine, but I want to hear what other cat people have experienced. Barrie
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    helenscott08

Re: success with feline hyperthyrodism?

I am SO GLAD I SAW YOUR NOTE. YES, I HAVE A CAT WITH SAME PROBLEM.

SILKY, my cat's name, has had this condition for at least 5 years. She is now about 19 to 21. She is doing well and I do have advice for you to save money and keep your cat happy and reasonably healthy.

ONE, I was told to GIVE MY cat the same dosage of medicine you have yours on. When I tried that I found that her appetite disappeared. She would still be hungry but no matter what I put down she would refuse it. And, she had always had a healthy pink nose and mouth. While on the dosage of meds, her nose immediately turned almost white. After doing following I find that by not giving her the meds as prescribed, her nose and mouth went back to normal coloring. Her nose does lighten a bit when you give her l/2 a pill on whatever day you do it but then it gets right back to healthy pink.

So what I did about 4 years ago was to stop giving the medication. I experiemented by doing it once a day. Then down to once every other day, until now I only do it when I see her breathing heavy while asleep or that she is staying awake too long. I guess sometimes she goes several days without half a pill. Sometimes I have gone as long as a couple of weeks.

Yes, she lost a lot of weight. She went from about 18 lbs to 5 lbs. Now she is about 8 lbs. I ALSO GIVE HER a FISH OIL OMEGA 3 pill. I was tossing it down her throat but then discovered she liked it if I just broke the capsule and spread the fluid on the food. She has done really well with this regime and I highly recommend it.

INCIDENTALLY, I have not had my cat to the vet for about 2-l/2 years. I have also given her vitamin E and Vitamin C. I think these vitamins are essential because with the thyroid problem she looses a lot of fluid. After eating she uses the box and many times in between. Food does not stay with her very long so the need for extra vitamins. I had 2 or 3 vets recommend and approve the vitamin C and E. I never asked about the fish oil but it is working. My cat is very happy and does quite well. She has outlived 2 or 3 other pets since I have known her. I inherited her from her owner who died.

I hope this helps you. I don't see why it wouldn't.

helen s

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Mita Moni:
    My 18 y.o. female cat was diagnosed with hyper thyroidism last March or Feb. Because of her age she isn't a candidate for radiation therapy or surgery, so she has been on a dose of methimazole, 1/2 tablet twice a day. Now she has been diagosed with severe anemia that the vet thinks may have been caused by the medicine. Have you had any good experiences treating elderly cats with this syndrome? Can you recommend a vet? I work part time, I have CFIDS, and don't have the $ to spend $400 on blood tests every few months. Yet I want a conscientious vet who will do the necessary tests. Maybe the vet I have is fine, but I want to hear what other cat people have experienced. Barrie

3. TopTop #3
    Kate Fenton

My 17-year-old male was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism 4 years ago and also became anemic on the medication. I switched him to the raw turkey-brown rice-supplements diet in Pitcairn and Frazier books. He's been on potassium too for kidneys. He is thin but pretty healthy. My vet calls him a poster child for treating hyperthy. without drugs. I do bloodwork but only every 3 months and it is about $75. My wonderful vet is Richard Camp at Analy Vet Hospital, 823-7614.

4. TopTop #4
    Kelly kelly

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Mita Moni: View Post
    Barrie,
    I also have an older kitty recently dianosed with the same. She is on a ointment of Methimazole that I put on her ear once a day. She has had great results and has gained a pound back in about a month. I don't know who your current vet is, but I would ask about this treatment and see if they know about it or has had positive experience. The radiation therapy, as I understand, is based on general health not necessarily age. When my girl's tumor gets large enough to feel, I will have it removed...meanwhile she is doing well on the ointment. I don't know if there is any difference. I suggest going online and researching.
    Kelly

5. TopTop #5
    Teri

My kitty had the same ( I had her the last two years of her life) and I found relief for her with a homeopathic vet, eventually my kitty died, but her quality of life was very good when I had her (she died in my arms), I put her on a raw foods diet shortly after I got her. The homeopathic vet that I had is not practicing any more, but try Lisa Pesch at the Veterinary Arts Healing Clinic in Sebastopol, I have found her wonderul with my current kitties. I have found Lisa to be a wonderful vet, attentive and caring.

6. TopTop #6
    caretaker

Each Cat is very unique in there own way what works, for me I had to use both western medicine, and Homeopathic means, my beloved Scruffy which my daughter begged to keep at the age of 5 with all the promises our children make, I will feed and clean the litter box, covered with oil as a small furbaby we took her home.. although daughter didnt follow through much with the promises, scruffy slept with her every nite of her life. and then when she moved out for college then with me, she hated and attacked every cat and dog her whole life to protect my daughter. but in the end she meet the furman of her dreams at a very late age, it was medicine form both worlds when she developed thyroid disorder that kept her alive until she was 24 years old, she hated every day taking the meds. Combination of both gave her a very long life.
    In memory of my dear scruffy, they can have long happy lives.

Mary:panther:
    AllAboard Animal Search and Rescue[

quote=Teri;49240]My kitty had the same ( I had her the last two years of her life) and I found relief for her with a homeopathic vet, eventually my kitty died, but her quality of life was very good when I had her (she died in my arms), I put her on a raw foods diet shortly after I got her. The homeopathic vet that I had is not practicing any more, but try Lisa Pesch at the Veterinary Arts Healing Clinic in Sebastopol, I have found her wonderul with my current kitties. I have found Lisa to be a wonderful vet, attentive and caring.[/quote]