Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Star Man

Men avoid eco-consciousness because it makes them less masculine

Insecure men refuse to adopt eco-conscious habits because it makes them seem ‘less manly’: study

Noor Al-Sibai
    Downloaded December 26, 2017 from https://www.rawstory.com/2017/12/ins...s-manly-study/

Research shows that men are much less likely to engage in environmentally-friendly behavior than women — and it may be because they’re afraid it’ll make them appear less masculine.

Scientific American
    ‘s research suggests not that men don’t care about the environment, but that they may be worried that most “tend to want to feel macho, and they worry that eco-friendly behaviors might brand them as feminine.”The study involved over 2,000 American and Chinese participants, and showed that both men and women “judged eco-friendly products, behaviors, and consumers as more feminine than their non-green counterparts.”“In one experiment, participants of both sexes described an individual who brought a reusable canvas bag to the grocery store as more feminine than someone who used a plastic bag—regardless of whether the shopper was a male or female,” the report notes. “In another experiment, participants perceived themselves to be more feminine after recalling a time when they did something good versus bad for the environment.”In yet another experiment, researchers “threatened the masculinity of male participants” by showing them a pink, floral gift card and asking them to envision purchasing three items with it. Compared to men shown a “standard gift card,” the men who were “threatened” most often chose the non-environmentally friendly version of the items.“The idea that emasculated men try to reassert their masculinity through non-environmentally-friendly choices,” the report notes, “suggests that in addition to littering, wasting water, or using too much electricity, one could harm the environment merely by making men feel feminine.”The report also notes that “ironically, although men are often considered to be less sensitive than women, they seem to be particularly sensitive when it comes to perceptions of their gender identity.”
    Men's extremely fragile sense of their masculinity is the cause of many problems today. Men cannot allow themselves to consider recycling, avoiding pesticides and herbicides, driving electric cars, getting rid of automatic weapons, acknowledging global warming, or attending to women's needs. They vote against their own self interest because it would be unmanly not to elect Trump. Star Man
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Hot Compost

Re: Men avoid eco-consciousness because it makes them less masculine

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Star Man: View Post
    Scientific American‘s research suggests not that men don’t care about the environment, but that they may be worried that most “tend to want to feel macho, and they worry that eco-friendly behaviors might brand them as feminine.”The study involved over 2,000 American and Chinese participants, and showed that both men and women “judged eco-friendly products, behaviors, and consumers as more feminine than their non-green counterparts.”
    You know, I keep writing answers to this post.

I could mention, this post has inspired me to take a cardboard box with me next time I go grocery shopping.

I could mention, one widespread consumption behavior that I see is the "pedal to the metal" driving behavior.
    When people step on the gas, 50 or 100 yards from a stop sign or red light. Often in a big truck. I think most of those drivers are men.

But, while we are having this discussion about the nuances of gender, and attitudes towards consumption that affect the environment ...

the US government is murdering civilians around the world, in the name of a "Terror War".

Israel is murdering civilians too, concentrating their cruelty on the Palestinians, the Syrians, and Iran.

Now, Saudi Arabia is murdering civilians, concentrating their cruelty on the Yemenese.

The US, Israel, and Saudi Arabia are all quite chummy. Their behavior, the Terror War they have inflicted on the world the last 16 years, the millions of civilians killed, is not a coincidence. It is obviously coordinated between the 3 nations, with assistance from England and Qatar.

At the same time, the current Scary Muslim Group, "ISIS", is given weapons by the US, and financing from Saudi Arabia and Qatar. And they attack all of Israel's enemies. Strangely convenient, and also, terribly murderous.

It looks like our countries are engaged in a land-clearing program. Not unlike that which American settlers engaged in. Except America gave huge tracts of land to the Indians.

The plan for the Muslim refugees seems to be to send them around the world, where it's not working out too well. Just ask the women they are raping in Sweden.

Speaking of gender.

50 years ago, the US murdered about 4.5 million civilians in Southeast Asia.

There was an enormous outcry.

Now, that same pattern repeats. Yet there is no outcry.

Why do environmental things matter, as long as the US, Israel, and Saudi Arabia are engaged in their murderous rampage ?

It is the elephant in the room that no one talks about.

I cared very much when the Deepwater Horizon massacre occurred in April 2010. The environmental massacre of the Gulf of Mexico. First the oil, then the attempt to sweep it under the rug, with the terrible poison named Corexit. It made the oil dissipate, and poisoned the Gulf, and the American citizens living near the Gulf, far worse than if the oil had been allowed to just sit and kill thousands of sea-birds.

Now we have another huge environmental problem, related to plastics, and the destruction of the Pacific, which was not helped at all by the Fukushima incident, which is itself ongoing.

Meanwhile, we have a pResident, who has just rescinded the regulations put in place to help guard against another Deepwater Horizon disaster.

Meanwhile, that same pResident, is stirring up more sh-t in the MidEast, thereby scoring political points with the Israel supporter contingents.

Why are these fine points of the environment important, when the US government is so obviously one of the Bad Guys ?

It's like watching the movie Titanic, and DiCaprio or whoever starts a game of Backgammon 15 minutes before the ship sinks.

Does it matter who wins the Backgammon game, when there are so obviously bigger things that are worthy of concern ?

I'm not saying the environment is unimportant, quite the contrary.

It just hurts to see people call themselves Progressive. I see nothing Progressive here, AND I'm glad there are people who are concerned about the environment.

That is in no way an attack on the original post, or the person posting.

It's just that I've written 2 decent responses to the original post. And they seem so very un-important.

One of the families I met the last few years was an Iraqi family. They fled Iraq shortly after the US attacked Iraq again, in 2003.

One son, a doctor, went to Australia, because they recognized his degree. One daughter, went to Finland, and studied Chef school, and became a pastry chef. The mother and father ended up on welfare in New York state, with another son. One other daughter ended up in Chicago as a hair-dresser.

Since their lives were torn asunder, they haven't really had a chance to participate in conversations about the environment.

That a few dozen privileged people in Sonoma County care about the connection between gender and consumption, viz a viz the environment ... yes that's interesting.

But there are hundreds of millions of lives that have torn apart, and they don't have the privilege of caring about the connection between Gender and Environment.

If we really want to help the Environment, we have to reach a point where those hundreds of millions of Muslims in the Mid-East have the freedom to worry about the environment.

Instead they're so focussed on survival, they don't think much about the environment.

If we want to help the environment, we have to make sure that our fellow human beings are not concerned about their very survival.

Imagine if a billion inhabitants of the Mid-East had survival issues handled enough, that they could be concerned about plastic bags vs. cloth bags vs. cardboard boxes for carrying things home from the market. That is what Progress would look like, environment wise.

As long as the US, Israel, Saudi Arabia, and their Colleagues in Terror are Raising Hell around the world, our small group conversation is guaranteed to have no material effect.

And the environmental Armageddon I mentioned in the midst of expressing my concern for the victims of America's Terror War, will continue un-abated.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-30-2017 at 09:01 AM.

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    Star Man

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Hot Compost: View Post
    You know, I keep writing answers to this post.

And the environmental Armageddon I mentioned in the midst of expressing my concern for the victims of America's Terror War, will continue un-abated.
    Hot Compost, I hear you saying you keep writing answers to this post. I hear you saying that you believe the people of the Middle East must be free of the repression and murder that the U.S. and Saudi are wreaking on them and that until that happens we should not be discussing gender issues and American politics. I have shortened your comments considerably. Forgive me for what I have left out. I hope you feel heard.

The wars, the repression, the killing that America and its allies do are an expression of the "gender issues" I write about.

Star Man

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #4
    Hot Compost

I think the statistics of Gender and attitude towards the environment depends a lot on Geography.

In San Diego I had a woman co-worker who perhaps could be characterized as a Round-up "Fan-Boy" ("Fan Boy" is a computer culture term that might have started in the 00's as part of the AMD gaming community.)

I also have a brother who is a big believer in Monsanto. And Monsanto is a stock that he made a lot of money on.

I notice that people's environmental attitudes are affected by their financial situation.

As far as my longer post about bringing (a lot) more (currently dis-advantaged) people into the "caring about the environment" fold, I suggest engaging with the t-Rump supporter community, for example on the Emperor Wannabe's Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/DonaldTrump/

So-called "Conservatives" use the term "liberal snowflake" quite, well, liberally. It is part of their sort-of psy-ops program to attempt to discredit conventional liberal concerns such as concern about the environment.

t-Rump seems to "play" to the greed oriented community, for example by recently using the current cold & snow-storms to challenge the fact of man-made climate change. Quoth the Moron in Chief, "We could use a little Global Warming".

It would be great to see more Earth-huggers on the Trump Facebook page.

Wannabe Emperors lose power when it becomes obvious that their claim to power is a Farce.

t-Rump has already had many such moments, including his choice to bicker with the mayor of San Juan Puerto Rico after the hurricane, and his own Secretary of State's referral to t-Rump as a Moron.

I suggest letting the Moron in Chief know publicly how you feel about the Environment. t-Rump is too isolated to read your post, but he definitely hears about the sh.t-storms and problems he is so busy sweeping under the rug.

8. TopTop #5
    newclay

I have been pondering this alot this week...have always felt it, but this week it has been more blatently abundant... It is the core to so musch of this war mentality... Bless the Post, Sad only three likes so far...

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Star Man: View Post
    Insecure men refuse to adopt eco-conscious habits because it makes them seem ‘less manly’: study

Noor Al-Sibai
    Downloaded December 26, 2017 from https://www.rawstory.com/2017/12/ins...s-manly-study/

Research shows that men are much less likely to engage in environmentally-friendly behavior than women — and it may be because they’re afraid it’ll make them appear less masculine.

Scientific American
    ‘s research suggests not that men don’t care about the environment, but that they may be worried that most “tend to want to feel macho, and they worry that eco-friendly behaviors might brand them as feminine.”The study involved over 2,000 American and Chinese participants, and showed that both men and women “judged eco-friendly products, behaviors, and consumers as more feminine than their non-green counterparts.”“In one experiment, participants of both sexes described an individual who brought a reusable canvas bag to the grocery store as more feminine than someone who used a plastic bag—regardless of whether the shopper was a male or female,” the report notes. “In another experiment, participants perceived themselves to be more feminine after recalling a time when they did something good versus bad for the environment.”In yet another experiment, researchers “threatened the masculinity of male participants” by showing them a pink, floral gift card and asking them to envision purchasing three items with it. Compared to men shown a “standard gift card,” the men who were “threatened” most often chose the non-environmentally friendly version of the items.“The idea that emasculated men try to reassert their masculinity through non-environmentally-friendly choices,” the report notes, “suggests that in addition to littering, wasting water, or using too much electricity, one could harm the environment merely by making men feel feminine.”The report also notes that “ironically, although men are often considered to be less sensitive than women, they seem to be particularly sensitive when it comes to perceptions of their gender identity.”
    Men's extremely fragile sense of their masculinity is the cause of many problems today. Men cannot allow themselves to consider recycling, avoiding pesticides and herbicides, driving electric cars, getting rid of automatic weapons, acknowledging global warming, or attending to women's needs. They vote against their own self interest because it would be unmanly not to elect Trump. Star Man