Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Damage

Bike Lane Marking, Really?

Okay I get it, YES bicycle safety IS important, I get it.

However who did the planning to paint bicycle route marking all over Sebastopol? Pleasant Hill Ave N has 9 markings in 1 block. Was the paint going bad? Going to expire?

And before anybody says “bicycle safety is important” (see my first sentence) and says I’m not sensitive, (I’m not). Just look at the “dedicated bicycle lane” on Laguna Pkwy, north side of the road between Flynn St and Johnson St. LOOK right in front of the Police Station. If you park there you are blocking the whole bike lane. It really is unsafe for bicycles to go from a bike lane into traffic because a car is “legally parked” on the side of the street. I will ceed that.

My point is, whomever planned this is a idiot. Just MY 2¢
    Last edited by Damage; 10-31-2017 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Grammar errror
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    ChefJayTay

Re: Bike Lane Marking, Really?

Pedestrians have the right of way with or without a crosswalk...but we still pay for paint and to light crosswalks.

If there's one serious complaint I have about CA... It's that our laws suck, there are too many of them, and they seem to be enforced at random..

4. TopTop #3
    Damage

Too many laws in CA that are dumb is a problem.

Walking “across” traffic is a bit different then being in it but I get your point. Mine is if bicycles have full access to the lane then if necessary they should use it. It is dangerous to dart in and out if traffic. Riding in a bicycle lane then getting into the lane of traffic to get by a car then back in the bicycle lane is darting in and out.

And if I’m parked and I look in my side view mirror and don’t see a bicycle I open my door and,,, oops, didn’t see you because by the time it took for me to reach down and open up you were not there. Time to sue me?

5. TopTop #4
    Cheingrand

Bicycles are defined as vehicles in the California Vehicle Code. They have the same rights as cars on public roads. Every public street in Sebastopol is already a "bicycle route" just the same as they are routes for all other legal vehicles. Putting up signs and painting the roadways adds to the visual clutter of too many signs already along our roads. I hope "Pedestrian Route" signs and stenciled feet along our sidewalks aren't next.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

ywv
  7. TopTop #5
    Scott McKeown

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Cheingrand: View Post
    Bicycles are defined as vehicles in the California Vehicle Code. They have the same rights as cars on public roads. Every public street in Sebastopol is already a "bicycle route" just the same as they are routes for all other legal vehicles. Putting up signs and painting the roadways adds to the visual clutter of too many signs already along our roads. I hope "Pedestrian Route" signs and stenciled feet along our sidewalks aren't next.
    You are right, and I think I get your point about claiming bicycle rights and not being relegated to only bike lanes. And yet, as a (non serious) bike rider I sure feel better riding where there are marked bike lanes. When riding the Joe Rodota trail the worst part used to be along Morris Street where there were no bike lane markings and where I felt the least safe. That is now changed.

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #6
    gypsey

Actually, as I recall from my traffic ticket class (!) bicycles must confine themselves close to the curb (designated bikeway) of the roadway except when turning left and within 200' of the right turn, cars have the right to enter that bikeway to execute their turn.

Since many bike riders and probably auto drivers ignore these rules, perhaps the painted bikeways will be helpful. I do wish our county bike riders were more respectful of the laws and road courtesy.

Once upon a time, CA spent money and effort to educate regular motorists but especially motorcycle riders, about road safety. I wish they would do the same for bike riders.

10. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

11. TopTop #7
    Cheingrand

Painted bike lanes are great on roads wide enough. On Sebastopol's more narrow roads that can't support a defined bike lane, the new "Bicycle Route" signs and stencils on the roads are more visual clutter without adding safety. Examples are Murphy Ave, Pleasant Hill Ave, Valentine Ave, and Washington Ave to name a few.
    Last edited by Barry; 11-05-2017 at 10:14 AM.

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #8
    Damage

So, no more parking on the north side of Laguna Pkwy. Drove by today and there is fresh red paint on the curb.