Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Suzeep57

Drunk and Belligerent Neighbor Problems

I've been dealing with a next door neighbor who approx. 4-5 times a month drinks all day at the local dive, then when he gets home, he goes inside of his rental unit and screams profanities for HOURS on end. This has been going on for years. It has now reached a critical stage with me and my partner, and we are emotionally drained by this. We can't even have friends or family over for bbq's because it's so disgustingly heinous. The language is really filthy, and we live in a canyon, so it bounces back from the hillsides. Now the interesting thing is the homeowner lives on the same site in another dwelling. Does anyone know how much is the landlord responsible for this issue? We've called the Sheriff dept. several times, and they come out and he shuts up...until the next drunken event. If anyone can offer good advice I'd appreciate it. I have talked to the landlord, and they just tell me to call the SO. I'm astounded that they let this go on. I work full time, and I'm beginning to really get stressed out and can't function normally.. very unhappy. Thanks for your help in advance...
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    gabriela

Re: Drunk and Belligerent Neighbor Problems

Ah yes renters are such a pain. Count your blessings they aren't owners because then you would really have no recourses. (!!!!!!)
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Suzeep57: View Post
    I've been dealing with a next door neighbor who approx. 4-5 times a month drinks all day at the local dive, then when he gets home, he goes inside of his rental unit and screams profanities for HOURS on end. ....

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    Shandi

Usually people who drink a lot and carry on in the evening, are hung over the next morning....or if not, at least want to sleep it off.....peacefully.

Any chance you can record this, and play it back in the morning, on HIGH VOLUME? I've done this a couple of times in my life, and it worked to curtail the disturbances down a few decibels the next time. But if you fear retaliation, then it might not be a solution for you.

I've been dealing with a next door neighbor who approx. 4-5 times a month drinks all day at the local dive, then ...
    Last edited by Barry; 07-14-2017 at 10:47 AM.

5. TopTop #4
    rossmen

I have dealt with similar situations, where tenants do things like yell and curse outside in front of small children to the parent they live with, to being accused of drunk and belligerent myself because of the difficult message i delivered. The point is turn up the radio. You have great power about your reaction to this situation. The landowner has little power over someone screaming and cursing inside their house, other than giving them 60 day notice. Is this what you want?

I've been dealing with a next door neighbor..

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #5
    MartyaFirefly

I have a situation which is similar, to a degree, in that it pertains to what jurisdiction and legal responsibilities a renter, a neighbor, and the home owner have over the behavior of one another. I own a rental property with a next door neighbor who is in a feud with my tenant. My tenant has said that the guy seems to be off his rocker, and has accused the tenant of things that make no sense. The police have been called out many times, by both sides. At the end of the day the police say that there is nothing they can do, there is no criminal matter, and only possibly civil matters, in that one of the accusations pertains to a damaged boundary fence in the front between the two houses.

Now the neighbor has telephoned me at my house, and has found my post office mailing address, and has sent me a letter threatening to sue me if I don't evict my tenant in 45 days. I can't fathom why the neighbor would have any standing to sue me. A friend has advised me to pay an attorney hundreds of dollars for a consultation about this. I am on the fence about whether I need to do anything about this threat. I know my tenant very well, and don't believe he has done any of the things the neighbor accuses him of (like threatening the man's wife, for example).

The only thing I found when I looked this up myself is that the homeowner is responsible for providing a safe living situation for their tenant. I told my tenants that I don't know how I can keep them safe from a wacky/paranoid next door neighbor. Perhaps that is what the homeowner's position is regards to their profanity-spewing tenant? And it sounds like the police or Sheriff have nothing they can do to effect or change the situation (in my case and in the case described above), as no physical or bodily harm have occurred? (I guess loss of sleep from noise and worry may not count?)

Does anyone have any other perspectives to add? Is it important to spend the money to get a lawyer's advice?
    Last edited by Barry; 07-14-2017 at 10:51 AM.

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #6
    AJL

Thanks for sharing. My neighbors are all great.

So some sort of Sebastopol suggestions...
    Two activities that may help.
    Meditate in the morning and meditate in the evening.

What can we do to alleviate mental illness or anger in others?

Have you tried checking out and using Ho O Pono Pono?

Love always!

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #7
    rossmen

If the neighbor sues the burden of proof is on them. If your tenant sues the burden is on you. Take my word lightly, I'm not a lawyer and i have lots of experience renting homes. I have been sued and more often threatened. Direct settlement the best option. Small claims works well. Superior is hell.

Last words of free advice, don't trust your insurance company. They will pretend to be on your side and then twist you around and hit you hard.

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #8
    tommy

Assuming you want to continue owning the property, and renting to your tenant...I'd tell your tenant to chill as much as possible, not have any contact with neighbor, not to call the police. Try to let it die down.

I doubt a lawyer will tell you anything other than common sense, and the legal aspects... which it sounds like you already know.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-16-2017 at 01:07 PM.

14. Gratitude expressed by:

15. TopTop #9
    Carina

Put out a camera with audio visual, and a sign indicating surveillance cameras are monitoring....them create a YouTube channel with all the videos. Post a big sign on your property saying...." hey y'all, check out this guy next door! :o " and list the YouTube page. Yeah, then he'd go berserk on ya...so, ok, instead consider, an B: take the videos to a lawyer and ask if it reaches the threshold of civil action. If so, sue.