Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Valley Oak

Your fav. massage style?

There are lots of styles of massage out there. I'm curious to know which ones are most preferred by the members of this conscious community.

I know that there are Shiatsu, Swedish, Thai, Chinese, Trigger point, Tui na, Watsu, and many others but we would like a little feedback about your experience and why you like your favorite massage styles.

Thanks, Edward
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    wisewomn

Re: Your fav. massage style?

Why do you ask, Edward, if I may be so bold?
    Last edited by Manna; 12-05-2016 at 06:56 AM.

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    Valley Oak

Because my wife and I enjoy giving each other massages.

Also, I don't want to find myself confused with a barrage of thousands of books of an infinite number of styles and buying all of them. I want feedback from people here who have favorite styles and why. We would like recommendations of what people like best in order to guide us and give us some ideas on different techniques and so on.

That's the big secret.

Edward

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wisewomn: View Post
    Why do you ask, Edward, if I may be so bold?

5. Gratitude expressed by:

6. TopTop #4
    wisewomn

In that case I'll recommend Swedish-Esalen. Not only is Swedish the oldest of Western modalities, it is extremely comprehensive in scope with well over 250 different strokes although only a portion of them is taught as the basis of everything else in massage schools today. Additionally, because although there are many different modalities around these days, nearly all of them have their roots in some aspect of Swedish that has been adapted and expanded on by each modality (eg, reflexology, deep tissue, Trager, etc.) Swedish focuses on specific parts of the body and is therapeutic in nature. Esalen on the other hand has long, integrative strokes that are more sensual. The combination of Swedish and Esalen covers it all, IMO.
    The bottom line, Edward, is that getting or receiving a massage is a subjective experience, and the trick is to find a style that works for you and a practitioner or teacher with whom you feel comfortable. I speak as someone who has been practicing therapeutic massage and bodywork since 1979.
    Have fun exploring.
    Last edited by Manna; 12-05-2016 at 06:56 AM.

7. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

8. TopTop #5
    Jude Iam

In that case I'll recommend Swedish-Esalen. ..
    Yes, and

You might consider 'getting a massage together' - one of you receiving, the other observing and learning while the masseuse /masseur works. Lovely way to learn, eh? Wisewomn might accommodate, as would I (also decades of S-E and a few moves incorporated from other modalities).

You could even have them come to your house to work on you 'in the comfort of your own home'... after a hot tub to loosen up muscles. Mmmmmmmm.

Nice to know you/couples are offering such wonderful healing caring for each other.
    May we all give and get TLC in all forms.
    Jude
    Last edited by Barry; 12-06-2016 at 09:50 AM.

9. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

10. TopTop #6
    Shandi

In that case I'll recommend Swedish-Esalen. ....
    I have to agree about Swedish- Esalen, especially if the therapist is tall, which allows for a longer stroke, especially on the back area. A wacco member named Diane also does a massage style which incorporates her walking on your back. She's tiny, and her studio is set up for this, with hand holders suspended from the ceiling. Highly recommend her, but can't recall her last name or business name.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-11-2016 at 01:01 PM.

11. Gratitude expressed by:

12. TopTop #7
    wisewomn

I don't know Diane, Shandi, but the massage you describe is called ashiatsu.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-11-2016 at 01:01 PM.

13. Gratitude expressed by:

14. TopTop #8
    IreneS

I have had a few delightful massages from Diane -- although it's actually Diana, Diana Timberman. However, my understanding is that she has retired/moved away. I believe she trained a protege, though unfortunately I don't have any information about that... I'd be interested if anyone else knows of the protege.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    I have to agree about Swedish- Esalen, especially if the therapist is tall, which allows for a longer stroke, especially on the back area. A wacco member named Diane also does a massage style which incorporates her walking on your back. She's tiny, and her studio is set up for this, with hand holders suspended from the ceiling. Highly recommend her, but can't recall her last name or business name.

15. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: