Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Rue

5th District Supervisor Race

We are urged to think globally and act locally. National politics are enthralling, but local county and city governance is what most affects our daily lives.

The race for Supervisor for the Fifth District is critical this year. There are tough decisions to be made about our water resources; about vineyards – and wetlands; about coastal protection – and access to the coast; affordable housing, economic development, civil rights, county fire services, the development of Roseland, aging infrastructure, resource protection and many other issues that will affect our lives for generations to come.

We need a supervisor experienced not only in addressing a wide variety of complex issues, but someone who can work well with colleagues on the board, with staff, and with us. I’ve watched and interacted with Sonoma County’s Board of Supervisors for decades, through a spectrum of styles and goals. Each board has its own character, its own set of priorities and processes. Our current Board of Supervisors is relatively new to governance. Three of the five had never before held public office.

As a result, they’ve unintentionally developed practices that separate them, rather than encouraging collaboration and developing expertise. Since they are relatively new, they naturally rely on staff for guidance. We elect supervisors to represent our interests, but the interests that helped get them elected can heavily influence inexperienced supervisors.

Thinking globally, acting locally, I look at a candidate’s past actions and/or votes cast. I want to see a history of dedication, determination, and shared values. Raised voices, good intentions, fervent promises are not a sure indicator of commitment or the ability to achieve change.

“Experience” is a much-abused word these days, but given the nature of our world and our local pressures, I have to think it counts. We do not have months or years for our representatives to come up to speed on the full range of issues we face. Thinking locally, only Noreen Evans has a proven track record of leadership, commitment and strong values. We already know where she stands and that she can get things done. I urge you to vote for Noreen Evans for Fifth District Supervisor.

Rue Furch
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Shepherd

Re: 5th District Supervisor Race

Rue makes some excellent points in this letter, parts of which were published in Sonoma West. Her experience as a Sonoma County planning commissioner provides good background to address these issues. As she points out, 3 of the current 5 supervisors "had never before held public office." Governing experience helps, before one jumps into the most important elected positions.
    Last edited by Barry; 08-22-2016 at 10:12 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email