Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shepherd

Climate accord reached in Paris--NY Times

Following are links to today's New York Times article on the climate accord in Paris. What do you think of this agreement? What questions might you have about it? I ask because I am preparing for my Dec. 21, Mon., 5-6 p.m. radio interview on this issue. You can hear it at www.kows.fm.

Nations Approve Landmark Climate Accord in Paris
    By CORAL DAVENPORT

The deal, which required unanimous approval by delegates from around the world, will for the first time commit nearly every country to lowering greenhouse gas emissions....
    Last edited by Barry; 12-13-2015 at 12:03 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #2
    theindependenteye

Re: Climate accord reached in Paris--NY Times

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    ...What do you think of this agreement? What questions might you have about it? I ask because I am preparing for my Dec. 21, Mon., 5-6 p.m. radio interview on this issue. You can hear it at www.kows.fm.

My personal opinion on the Paris agreement.

The critiques from those who damn it are basically accurate. It sets lower goals than needed. It has few mandatory requirements. And yet I’m dubious about the Left’s usual tactic of claiming vociferous defeat.

Tactically, that’s a terrible mistake. But besides tagging ourselves once again as losers, it negates what has been accomplished and the potential benefits. To get 196 nations to agree on the price of eggs would be a miracle; to get them to put their signatures to a document that not only agrees that climate change is in fact an issue but spells out a range of commitments toward addressing it is absolutely historic.

As the NY Times article suggests, enforcement functions are lacking; but such provisions would unquestionably require, in the United States at least, approval as a treaty by the Senate — where it would be dead on arrival. A regular review of commitments is no guarantee of compliance, but at the very least it’s a spotlight to illuminate dark corners. And it’s the first time, to my knowledge, that we’ve had a mechanism, agreed upon by the world’s governments, to monitor this challenge.

It’s also been pointed out that this acknowledgement of the reality and threat of climate change can have a profound effect on investment in the fossil-fuel and renewable energy industries and in the rhetoric relating to issues like the XL pipeline.

I believe we need to (a) join in the celebration of this agreement and (b) maintain every bit of the pressure to strengthen it and carry it through, on both the local and international levels. But for godsake, whatever its shortcomings, let’s claim it as a victory.

—Conrad
    Last edited by Barry; 12-14-2015 at 01:52 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Shepherd

Thanks, Conrad and Elizabeth, for these thoughts. I just listened to Amy Goodman's Democracy Now program. She just returned from Paris. She presented solid evidence related so some of the things you say below, devoting most of the show to the Paris gathering. I think it may be heard again this afternoon on KRCB, perhaps at 3 p.m., as well as online. We have work to do.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by theindependenteye: View Post
    [What do you think of this agreement? What questions might you have about it?...

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #4
    EmeraldMatra

8. TopTop #5
    Valley Oak

Here are the Democracy Now! links to those reports available on their website:

Friday, December 11

Monday, December 14

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    Thanks, Conrad and Elizabeth, for these thoughts. I just listened to Amy Goodman's Democracy Now program...

9. Gratitude expressed by:

10. TopTop #6
    Shepherd

Re: Democracy Now Coverage of COP21

Amy Goodman of Democracy Now was in Paris for the event. Her daily coverage is by far the best and most authentic, no holds barred.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by EmeraldMatra: View Post
    Democracy Now Coverage of COP21...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 12-16-2015 at 12:24 PM.

11. Gratitude expressed by: