Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shepherd

Celebrate Armistice Day--to honor peace & veterans, not war

Nov. 11 was originally called Armistice Day--to celebrate the end of World War I and hopefully war. I was briefly an officer in the Army, before resigning my commission to protest the American War on Vietnam.

It is a day that I remember those in the Veterans Writing Group (www.vowvop.org) that I have been a member of for two dozen years, which have passed on. Capt. Ray Gatchalian was a Green Beret medic, who became a firefighter. He died in Chile while making a film on street children. Paul Duffy would return to Vietnam, where he was welcome by the Vietnamese. Earlier this year his wife went to his writer's cabin, where she found him hanging from the ceiling, dead. More Iraq & Afghanistan vets die of suicide than die in combat. Many of us do not like the term PTSD; we prefer "moral injury."

Following is an excerpt from Rafael Jesus Gonzalez, from Berkeley, which Larry Robinson sent out this morning, in both Spanish and English.

Veterans Day

When the First World War officially ended June 28, 1919, the actual fighting had already stopped the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month the previous year. Armistice Day, as it was known, later became a national holiday, and in 1954 (the year I graduated from high school), the name was changed to Veterans Day to honor all U.S. veterans of all wars.

The only veteran of that war, "the war to end all wars", I ever knew was my father's step-father Benjamín Armijo, from New Mexico, an old man who seldom spoke and whom I would on occasion see wearing his cap of The American Legion. (He was also Republican.)

"The war to end all wars" was anything but that and when I was not much more than five, three of my uncles on my mother's side (Roberto, Armando, Enrique) went off to fight another war, the Second World War.

I missed my uncles and remembered them by their photos on my grandmother's home altar, very handsome in their uniforms; in the endless rosaries and litanies the women in the family regularly met to pray; and in the three blue stars that hanged in the window…After that war ended, they came home, tío Pana into a hospital, sick with malaria which affected him throughout the rest of his life; tío Kiki with a malady in the soul not so easily diagnosed, hidden in his quiet humor, gentle ways. All my uncles were gentle men, in all senses of the word. And Beto, Pana, Kiki spoke not at all about their experiences of war in spite of my curiosity and questions which they diverted with a little joke or change of subject. What they had seen, felt was apparently not to be spoken and the family sensed this and respected their reticence. Neither of them joined the Veterans of Foreign Wars that I ever knew of.

The Korean War "broke out", as they say, as if it were acne, not long after. But as for me, I have never fought in any war, though I joined the U. S. Navy upon graduating from El Paso High School to become a Hospital Corpsman and obtain the G.I. Bill with which to enter Pre-Med studies upon my discharge; two of four years in the Navy I spent in the Marine Corps with the rank of Staff Sergeant. The Korean War had already ended. And though I served closely enough to it to be given the Korea Defense Service Medal and am legally a veteran and eligible to join the VFW, I never did nor do I intend to.

If I consider myself veteran of any war, it would be of the Viet-Nam War, not because I fought in it, far from it, but because I struggled against it. (I counseled conscientious objectors, picketed recruiting offices, marched in the streets.) The war veterans I have most intimately known are from that war, many, if not most, wounded and ill in body (from bullets, shrapnel, agent-orange), wounded and ill in the soul (terror, guilt, shame, hatred putrefying their dreams, tainting their loves.)…

If you look to my window on this day, the flag you will see hanging there will be the rainbow flag of peace. It hangs there in honor of every veteran of any war of any time or place. Indoors, I will light a candle and burn sage, recommit myself to the struggle for justice and for peace. Such is the only way I know in which to honor the veterans of war, military or civilian.

© Rafael Jesús González 2015

Rafael Jesús González
    P.O. Box 5638
    Berkeley, CA 94705
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: