Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: kitten
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    ecoclean
    Good housekeeping

kitten

Looking for a kitten or young cat for indoor to love and raise.
    707-836-6744
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    gypsey

Re: kitten

Wonderful! May I suggest the humane society, (shelters) and rescue organizations? Unfortunately some people do not spay or neuter their cats and kittens are the result. If you adopt from a shelter or organization, you'll be giving a wonderful kitten a loving home. If you adopt from a "kittens free" ad, you may be unwittingly lulling people into thinking being careless about spay/neuter isn't important b/c there are lots of "homes" available.

Just my two cents...wondering what others on Wacco think?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ecoclean: View Post
    Looking for a kitten or young cat for indoor to love and raise.
    707-836-6744

3. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

4. TopTop #3
    Shandi

Absolutely, you will find a sweet kitten to rescue and love. If you haven't had kittens before, please educate yourself because it's a lot like having a baby, and they can have some crazy energy, and sometimes may destroy things, just like puppies. Learn to clip the nails, or take the kitty to a groomer for that. Please Please don't "de-claw". It's a barbaric practice that takes off not just the nails, but the first joint of their claw, like the first joint of your fingers. It's painful, traumatic, and can cause many litter box problems because it becomes difficult to scratch litter, with wounded paws. Any vet who continues to do this is "inhumane". It has been outlawed in many countries, and some cities in California, but not Sonoma County, unfortunately.

Also, may I suggest that you begin feeding high quality food, and some raw meats to avoid health issues. Whatever you feed, please stay clear of "prescription foods", they are among the worst pet foods available. Educate yourself about ingredients. See
    www.PetFoodRatings.org/nutrition/ingredient-Analysis-of-Dr-lisa-newman. Other useful sites:www.CatInfo.organd www.TruthAboutPetFood.com

There are also many wonderful books on raising cats that I can share with you if you contact me. I've posted many times in the "pets and other critters" category. I am a Cat Advocate, and am happy to answer any questions you may have, or direct you to someone who knows the answers.

I envy you in a way because I've had many cats in my lifetime, and I never knew what I know now. I rescued a kitty from the Rohnert Park shelter, who was considered "unadoptable" because she'd been a feral, and was very shy and scared. When they called me to let me know she was to be euthanized the next day, I brought her home. She's bonded with me beautifully, and is no longer afraid of other people who come into the house.

She's had a siege of health issues that spanned a period of 3 months, and I thought I'd have to put her down, but through diligent research, and surviving serious drug reactions from 2 different vets, she's back to her normal healthy self. I'm attaching pictures of Mitzy, my 7 toed polydachtal kitty. I trim her nails myself with a standard nail clipper, and it works just fine. Kittens have very sharp nails, so it's good to get them used to having them trimmed, or you [ATTACH=CONFIG]31196[/ATTACH]can get scratched up pretty badly.

Wishing you and your new kitten many loving times of fun and adventure!
    Last edited by thedaughter; 05-14-2015 at 12:17 PM.

5. Gratitude expressed by:

6. TopTop #4
    bill shearer

I have done really well getting companion animals for my family using petfinders.com. Just about all of the rescue organizations list here.I suggest contacting listings that are close to you and describe what will a good fit in your home. Then you can meet the animals that are the best candidates for you with their foster people. And places like petco have adoption events on weekends.
    Good luck to you, Dodie

7. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

8. TopTop #5
    Kate Fenton

You'll have better luck at petfinder.com (no 's'). As Bill says, it's a great site; I found my last Siamese rescue there and have sent lots of people. Search by zip code, breed, age, gender, etc.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by bill shearer: View Post
    I have done really well getting companion animals for my family using petfinders.com. Just about all of the rescue organizations list here.I suggest contacting listings that are close to you and describe what will a good fit in your home. Then you can meet the animals that are the best candidates for you with their foster people. And places like petco have adoption events on weekends.
    Good luck to you, Dodie

9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

10. TopTop #6
    wisewomn

In the spirit of "shop local," why not try our local rescue orgs first: Animal Shelters, Humane Society, Forgotten Felines? Charity begins at home, and I'm sure they all have wonderful cats/kittens in need of homes, one of whom is just waiting for you.

11. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: