Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shepherd

Article: Big Wine Fails to Dry Farm During California’s Drought

Big Wine Fails to Dry Farm
    During California’s Drought

By Shepherd Bliss
    WaccoBB.net

Gov. Jerry Brown at Iron Horse Vineyards on Earth Day 2015
    California Governor Jerry Brown spent this year’s Earth Day at the elite Iron Horse Winery in the Sebastopol countryside. I operate a small berry and apple farm nearby and teach sustainable agriculture, mainly to college students. It was a great photo opportunity and promotion for the winery, known for donations to former President Bill Clinton and other politicians, from which it receives benefits.

“Hope Amid Drought” headlined the April 20 pro-wine industry daily Press Democrat’s (PD) report on this winery event of some 200 people. “Brown says innovation, efficiency will get state through water shortage,” the article notes. Iron Horse Vineyards CEO Joy Sterling “said the 300-acre winery…epitomized the environmental stewardship honored on Earth Day.” She spoke about their “love of the land.”

Laurence G. Sterling is
    Operations Manager of
    Iron Horse Ranch & Vineyards
    But wait. What about water usage, the theme of Gov. Brown’s talk? The previous day the PD published the commentary “Why We Don’t Dry Farm Grapes.” Its author? Iron Horse’s Laurence Sterling.

It’s hypocritical for Gov. Brown to mandate that the rest of us reduce water use by 25%, except for his friends in Big Ag and Big Wine. It’s called “green washing.” Or as we used to say, bluntly, on our Iowa family farms when we went out to clean the cute piglets, “hogwash.”

Five days later the PD published a letter to the editor that nailed both Gov. Brown and Mr. Sterling for this contradiction. Under the headline “Time for Sustainable Ag,” it was written by Sebastopol neighbor Donna Diehl. She reports that “four of our neighbors have had to drill new wells since the first of the year.” Nearby wells can go dry when Big Wine drills as deep as 1000 feet into the ground. Excessive pumping from shallow wells can also lead to neighbor’s wells pumping air, reports a Lake County wine maker.

“Let’s not wait until our groundwater is depleted to address the issue of the impact of viticulture on its depletion,” Ms. Diehl concludes.

“Mainly we are not judged by our farming method or our water usage. We are judged on how our wines taste,” alleges Mr. Sterling. He seems to operate not on the basis of ethics but only economics--what is most profitable--regardless of environmental damage.

Actually, this food farmer does judge Iron Horse, Gov. Brown, Big Ag, and Big Wine for extensive water usage by a few, at the expense of the rest of us and the environment. Most Californians cannot afford expensive $300 wine bottles by wine barons such as “bad apple” Paul Hobbs, whereas all humans, mammals, and most life forms on Earth depend on water for survival.

“The fierce drought that is gripping the West — and the imminent prospect of rationing and steep water price increases in California — is sharpening the deep economic divide in this state,” says the April 27 New York Times article “Drought Widens Economic Divide for Californians.’” It illustrates “parallel worlds in which wealthy communities guzzle water as poorer neighbors conserve by necessity.” That article focuses on Southern California. Sound familiar.

Big Wine is not a good neighbor willing to share common resources, like water, land, and air. Instead, they hoard them and get away with it, given substantial donations to politicians.

Ethical alternative to Iron Horse and other water guzzlers exist. For example, Emeritus Vineyards is near Iron Horse and dry farms, according to the PD’s April 26 “Debate Over Dry Farming” article.

Most of the wine production in Sonoma County is done by large corporations owned by investors who live outside the region. Their wine is sold mainly outside the region, including to the expanding market in China. So the water, wine, and profits tend to leave the region.

WINE COLUMNISTS & GRAPE GROWERS FOR DRY FARMING

One of the PD’s wine columnists, Dan Berger, fortunately wrote a tribute to dry farming in early April titled “Weaning Wine Off Water.” He quotes Frog’s Leap Winery owner John Williams, “We (in Napa) are drawing 1.2 billion gallons of water and putting it on vines that don’t really need it…The entire valley was dry-farmed for 100 years until 1976, when the first drip irrigation systems were installed.” All the Napa wines that won the historic 1976 Paris tastings, which put North Coast wines on the map, were dry farmed.

“Since we started using Biodynamic agriculture techniques, we have practically stopped irrigating,” reports Patricia Damery of Harms Vineyards and Lavender Fields in Napa County. “In the last four years of drought, we have irrigated grapes at most twice each year, and our yield has not decreased. Compost drastically increases the soil’s moisture-holding capacity. When growers push production and forget the environment, they start irrigating vines. It is time to stop. If grapes can’t grow in non-irrigated areas, they shouldn’t be planted there.”

“Wine Banter” columnist John Haggard of Sophies Cellars in the April Sonoma County Gazette notes that now “is an opportunity to re-assess the viability of dry farming.” Haggard reports that “dry farms tend to yield less fruit per acre,” but “the struggle to reach the water table creates character and quality.”

“Dry farming techniques can improve grape and wine quality,” according to the Community Alliance with Family Farmers website (www.caff.org.) “Many growers trade quantity for quality when dry farming.” CAFF provides a list of farms and vineyards that dry farm and engage in other environmentally helpful organic and sustainable practices.

Wine writers for the San Francisco Chronicle, Jon Bonne and Alice Feiring, also have written positively about dry farming. Part of the solution would be to label dry-farmed wines in order to support true water sustainability. It is illegal in some European countries to irrigate vineyards, which preserves quality.

Rules regulating the growing number of winery events in California’s North Coast are weak and seldom enforced. Regulators complain that they do not have the staff to enforce them, especially on weekends. Many European governments do a better job of regulating vineyards and wineries, according to a Lake County winery owner.

FARMING FOOD CROPS

I have owned a small berry and apple farm in Sebastopol since l992. With the drought’s arrival, I stopped irrigating. My berries are not as big as they used to be, so I make less money, but my regular customers report that they taste better.

During the last two-dozen years I have amended the soil by loading tons of mulch and compost on the berry berms and employed various permaculture and organic techniques. This helps keep the water in the ground and the weeds out. As my berries have grown, their roots dig deeper into the enriched soil and reach the water table. I only need to turn on hoses when it gets too hot and would fry the berries.

“Monocrop, regimented, industrial vineyards are a desert and environmental disaster for bees,” my beekeeper reports. “Grapes do not need bees for pollination. Most vineyards use lots of pesticides and herbicides, to which bees become addicted,” he added.

The beekeeper was referring to a study by Swedish scientists. “Bees are not repelled by pesticides and in fact may even prefer pesticide-coated crops,” an Associated Press article published in the April 23 San Francisco Chronicle and elsewhere reports. So much for the pesticide-using Sterlings assertion that they epitomize “environmental stewardship.”

An increasing number of North Coast residents are calling for a moratorium on new vineyards and wineries and expansions of existing vineyards and wineries, especially as event centers. It is unfair to mandate people to conserve water and allow Big Ag and Big Wine to consume as much as they want, for free. A four-county group has met in Lake and Sonoma Counties and will meet again in May in Napa County to discuss dealing with the excesses of the wine industry.

“I noted in my research that down in Paso Robles the premium wine growing area is running dry and the county supervisors in that region are putting a moratorium on all new wells while they ponder their next move,” writes one long-term researcher of the wine industry. Perhaps North Coast supervisors should consider a moratorium on the non-essential wells of Big Wine.

“Bigger battles are ahead,” predicts the PD’s April 26 dry farming article. We are at the beginning of intensified water wars in California. Big Wine is part of the problem by hording water and should be reigned in.

(Dr. Shepherd Bliss {[email protected]} teaches college, farms, has contributed to 24 books, and works with the Apple Roots Group, which challenges Big Wine.)
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

3. TopTop #2
    dominus

Re: Article: Big Wine Fails to Dry Farm During California’s Drought

Agriculture in California consumes approximately 80% of our water. Growers produce approximately 80% of fruits and vegetables which supplies the US. So the question bodes, exactly what can happen to food supply and prices should agriculture be forced to cut back on production given the drought? It struck me as unrealistic when Jerry Brown spoke about how we'll all get through this one way or another. We may not. From what I surmised, it doesn't sound like there is a plan in place. Desalinisation is a massive and extremely expensive undertaking. Not to mention, an idea which is a little late coming to the table. Weather patterns are changing and it would take several back-to-back El Nino's to recover what's now gone. We can live without wine. We can't live without food and water. Grape growers are right to be terribly concerned, as we all should be.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Deborah Thayer

Re: Article: Big Wine Fails to Dry Farm During California’s Drought

I've been "Amtraking" from north to south and see the rain bird irrigation in the heat of the day each and every trip thru the agri-businesses and here in San Bernardino Co the huge rain birds in the heat of the day watering cemetaries, golf courses, all kinds of wet cement. I even caught the water dept draining a fire hydrant into the street to shut down a water main he explained! I called his boss and talked with the water agency people. We should be launching a public outcry for this tremendous waste of our crucial resource.

Evaporation isn't helping the agriculture business, our sensibilities, or vital resources.!
    Electronic timers can be programmed. Drip irrigation saves water and is really a (duh) no brainer!

It's time the gray water gorillas emerge to reuse the rinse water from our washers and sinks. Choosing safer detergents are a huge piece of the equation, too. We need smart public service announcements to educate
    the wasters.

Jobs can come out of having humans being and helping to be CONSERVATIVE by watering after 6pm and before 6am.

6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

7. TopTop #4
    hanford
    Supporting Member
    Excellent article concise exacting ,the greedy truth behind.
    grape greed,corporate rape of water,land ,ecology .for
    bottom line mega proffit ,hmmm and all this in this forward thinking
    evolved, intelectoartisticgenius lib california ,why.

8. Gratitude expressed by: