Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    creekfeet

Death at Pt Reyes a grim reminder: please heed warning signs at beaches.

I hope all our Wacco people are safe. I know there was a time in my life when I too might have skirted warning signs but having worked for parks, I know that the decision is not taken lightly, to bar public access to an area.

Whether in the surf or on cliff trails, our beautiful beaches can be deadly. The hiker killed the other day by a trail collapse at Pt Reyes was only one of many who ignored warning signs and fences across the trail, continuing out past a fissure.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Hiker-dies-another-injured-after-cliff-collapse-6151164.php

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Richard Nichols

Re: Death at Pt Reyes a grim reminder: please heed warning signs at beaches.

I've stood on that point many times, and the spot that collapsed is/was a sheer cliff of about 25 feet. Arch Rock, actually a small point, is very popular, being the terminus of the Bear Valley Trail, an easy 4 mile walk from the visitor center. Being out in the natural world has its hazards, from mosquitos to rock falls, and care is always advised. But you have a much bigger chance of injury or death every time you get on the freeway.

I say all this, because these kinds of accidents make the headlines, and at least some impressionable people can be put off by all kinds of fears (bears, cliffs, "Lions and tigers and bears, oh dear"), which is a form of what is now recognized as nature deficient disorder. However, I'm sure that that is a rarity among Wacco wacos.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by creekfeet: View Post
    I hope all our Wacco people are safe. I know there was a time in my life when I too might have skirted warning signs but having worked for parks, I know that the decision is not taken lightly, to bar public access to an area.

Whether in the surf or on cliff trails, our beautiful beaches can be deadly. The hiker killed the other day by a trail collapse at Pt Reyes was only one of many who ignored warning signs and fences across the trail, continuing out past a fissure.

Point Reyes cliff collapse kills 1 hiker, injures another

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    creekfeet

I'm not sure I get your point. This was not just taking your chances with mosquitoes. Nor was this just your usual stroll out on Arch Rock.

You might not have seen all the info here, Richard. There was a big fissure, newly cracking the cliff top (see photos in article linked in OP). Park employees put up large signs and bright fences across the trail, hoping to prevent such a death.

While I hope the existence of dangers won't increase some peoples' tendency to cut themselves off from nature, I hope they'll use reasonable caution when being in nature.

(The existence of dangers doesn't seem to encourage people to cut themselves off from urbanity ironically. I'd rather be out in a dark desert alone than be out on a dark city street alone.)

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Richard Nichols: View Post
    I've stood on that point many times, and the spot that collapsed is/was a sheer cliff of about 25 feet. Arch Rock, actually a small point, is very popular, being the terminus of the Bear Valley Trail, an easy 4 mile walk from the visitor center. Being out in the natural world has its hazards, from mosquitos to rock falls, and care is always advised. ...

6. TopTop #4
    Richard Nichols

Yes I know what happened, and it is an example of how people who should know better disobey warning signs and rules. I'm sorry about what happened, but a huge error a lack of knowledge, or in judgement, led to the accident.

It was mossys and rockfalls, and I think I was clear that going out in nature has its risks. What I didn't say is that the risks encountered in nature are tiny compared to the rewards. I guess the final thought is that being sensible, aware and sensitive out in nature only adds to the pleasure.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by creekfeet: View Post
    This was not just taking your chances with mosquitoes. Nor was this was not just your usual stroll out on Arch Rock.

You might not have seen all the info here, Richard. There was a big fissure, newly cracking the cliff top (see photos in article linked in OP). Park employees put up large signs and bright fences across the trail, hoping to prevent such a death.

7. TopTop #5
    creekfeet

Ah, yes, indeed, well said. Reasonable caution could have made that simply an interesting geological event -- a sudden dramatic change in the coastline, but just nature doing what nature does. But because of error it became a human tragedy. So sad. Sympathy to all friends and relations of the deceased.

ETA - let's all be careful out there...go carefully, but go.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Richard Nichols: View Post
    Yes I know what happened, and it is an example of how people who should know better disobey warning signs and rules. I'm sorry about what happened, but a huge error a lack of knowledge, or in judgement, led to the accident.

It was mossys and rockfalls, and I think I was clear that going out in nature has its risks. What I didn't say is that the risks encountered in nature are tiny compared to the rewards. I guess the final thought is that being sensible, aware and sensitive out in nature only adds to the pleasure.

8. TopTop #6
    creekfeet

Looks like the original link was broken --- SF Gate took down the story and put up a couple others. Here they are, and I will edit the original link to substitute these in for the missing story.

Many thanks to the person who messaged me to let me know about the broken link.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...se-6151164.php

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...ff-6151304.php

9. Gratitude expressed by: