"...no one has any clue where all those hundreds of billions go..."
It's my opinion that the American public's complacent and fearful refusal to hold their elected leaders financially accountable and letting the lawmakers break every law with impunity is well on it's way to being the demise of the constitution. I agree with every word in this article, and as implied, it's just a fraction of the runaway corruption bucket.
Alex

The Shocking Horror Of Free Community College

By Mark Morford on January 12, 2015 9:19 AM

Do you know the estimated cost to the federal government for Obama’s unexpected, sort of amazing, not even all that radical plan to send any qualified American (read: lower-income and the underprivileged, because that’s who this program would benefit most, unquestionably) to two years of community college, for free?

It’s about $60 billion, spread over 10 years, with a bit more coming from participating states. That’s a paltry $6 billion a year, or about what the Pentagon spends every five seconds on toothpicks, on liquor stores, on shoelaces, on about 10,000 other bulls–--t programs, weapons, operations, experiments, failed wars, nuclear submarines, toilet paper and beef jerky and the poisonous nuclear byproduct that Dick Cheney calls “blood.”

In other words, it’s a relative pittance, for an unquestionable social good. So why are Republicans already sneering at it, threatening to derail is, calling it too expensive and suggesting that the federal government can’t afford it? Because the program is a poor idea? No. Because they’re hateful, obstructionist cretins? Well, yes.

Do you think that’s too harsh? That is not at all too harsh. Do you think I’m exaggerating? I am not at all exaggerating. Here’s a fun factoid: The Department of Defense is, by far, the most shamelessly wasteful government agency on earth, defending America from almost nothing and squandering a staggering 20 percent of our GDP to do it. To be fair, it’s sort of difficult to know exactly how wasteful; the General Accounting Office has long called the DoD’s laughable chaos of a megabudget “inauditable,” due to roaring mismanagement. America!

Shocked to learn that some Republicans resist the idea of free college? Don’t be. They dread anything that makes Americans smarter

Translation: no one has any clue where all those hundreds of billions go. They only know they don’t dare stop the runaway gravy train, much less redirect a sliver of its gargantuan waste toward something as useful, as beneficent as making tens of thousands of Americans slightly smarter, happier and more employable. The horror!

I know what you’re thinking: “It doesn’t work like that.” And, rather tragically, you’re correct. Funding something as easy and gracious as Obama’s free college plan isn’t a matter of simply redirecting a modest amount of funds from one grotesquely bloated region of government toward another, far more reasonable one.

You’ve got to go to committee. You’ve got to get budgets approved, votes rallied, lawyers fellated, earn support from all kinds of sniveling white male congressmen like Lamar Alexander, who, by Southern GOP law, has to openly trash the president any chance he gets (he’s black, you know), despite how Obama’s plan is a mirror of Tennessee’s own, despite how TN is a ravenous welfare state, the 5th most dependent in the country on federal funds for its whimpering survival.

By the way, ...
Continues here.