Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #31
    Dustyg

Re: Jonathan Greenberg as a team player

I don't believe I am misinterpreting Helen's order of considerations. Perhaps I am more old fashioned than you, but my education taught me that when you make a list, you put the list in the order of importance related to the subject at hand. Old fashioned, but not uninformed nor misinterpreting.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    And so has it been ruled...
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #32
    Dixon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dustyg: View Post
    ...my education taught me that when you make a list, you put the list in the order of importance related to the subject at hand....
    That may be the way you do it, but for most of us, lists are in random order, each item written down in the order it occurs to us, or maybe chronological order, or alphabetical order, and yes, occasionally in order of importance (and usually prefaced with "in order of importance"). If you look around at the lists you encounter in daily life--shopping lists, to-do lists, guest lists, lists of points in a discussion--they often (usually?) are not in any particular order. There's no problem with thinking Helen may have meant her list to reflect order of importance, but assuming that's the case and refusing to be corrected when she tells you it isn't is not a constructive or fair way of arguing. How would you like it if someone misconstrued your intended meaning and then simply refused to accept your clarification? Misrepresenting someone's position so you can attack it is the logical fallacy known as Attacking a Straw Man (or, in gender nonspecific lingo, which I prefer, Attacking a Straw Figure). There's enough real disagreement without having to distort the other's position to make it seem even more disagreeable. That violates the Critical Thinking tenet known as Intellectual Fairness.

3. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

4. TopTop #33
    Dustyg

I believe it was implied, and don't think I've distorted Helen's argument, or misinterpreted it. As I've already written, this is the way I was educated and it probably is, in this contemporary world of social media and all, old fashioned. No apologies. I'm glad for my education (public schools) and I feel I have fairly brought up a point. If you disagree fine, no problem, I'm certainly not going to attack you for it. I do discuss in good faith.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    Dusty, in that sentence, Helen listed four things she felt should come before a decision. There is no implication whatsoever that her list is in order of importance. If you're inferring that it is, you're simply inferring something that wasn't implied (a problem that crops up a lot in these heated Wacco discussions). Distorting the other discussant's argument with such misinterpretations accidentally can happen to any of us, but when someone attempts to clarify what they meant and you cleave to your misinterpretation, you're not arguing in good faith.

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

6. TopTop #34
    ahimsa

I have had the pleasure of working with Jonathan on numerous occaisions, and he is always open to suggestions on how to do the job better. He also often comes up with smart and efficient ways we can work together better.

It is a sad situation when people accuse Jonathan of saying bad things about other people, and then turn around and do it to him, when all he did was point out the facts that some people would prefer not be known.

I believe Jonathan, if elected, would at the very least make sure that erroneous reports are not accepeted as fact, but will dig into the details to make sure the council has the information it needs to make smart choices. He will also help the council find creative ways to help support the hospitalto reopen and be able to continue to serve our community.

7. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

8. TopTop #35
    tree14

THANKS TO BARRY for Wacco and for the chance to discuss the future of the town we love, Sebastopol.!!!

I cannot vote for Greenberg, but I would if I still lived in beautiful Sebastopol. He would bring a fresh perspective and an extremely sharp mind, insights, good people skills, and the benefit of many years of financial reporting to the City Council. With membership will come a somewhat greater degree of influence. Not as much as he would like, probably, but some. Lets be honest: the City Council has done a decent job dealing with the one problem that really was or is insurmountable: CVS's determination and deep pockets to have its way. Honestly, I do not know anyone who could have done any better than the council's members, and Helen Shane, did. My son tells me there may NOT be much new traffic as a result of the new store's existence after all due to the no left turns.

The only thing I can say, for sure, is that CVS will not, EVER, see my face again in ANY of its stores! Finally, I would like to thank the Pellini family, all of its members past and present, for all it did to help Sebastopol over the many years the dealership was on the corner of Petaluma and Bodega. Whenever there was a civic cause or worthy need, the Pellinis ALWAYS came through AND IN TIME.... Thanks, and I am very sorry to see you go!

While some probably think I should not say anything since I do not live in Sebastopol, I have good friends there who I care deeply for. I drive there, on average, to meet someone, to do or buy something, or for a meeting, about twice a week.

Finally, the election is tomorrow. Whoever you like, please get to the polls and vote, if you haven't already. Voting has NEVER been more important than it is now. So, please, take a second and do it. Thanks!

9. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: