Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    occihoff

WACCO picnic introductory circle

As usual, Barry admonished us at the beginning to keep our introductory statements down to ten words, so that everyone would have equal time and attention. And as usual, many of us did cut it down very short. But, also as usual, a number of other people had no problem expatiating at great length, some even gracing us with little performances. Only a few of these speeches were finally curtailed by Barry.

This left me wondering. Am I just being a sap? Am I just an obedient Mama's boy, falling for the same trick year after year like a fool? I know that the kind of Reichian-inspired bodywork/talk-integrated emotional healing work that I do is very unfamiliar to most people, even to many who consider themselves practitioners of somatic psychotherapy. And I know that those few words that I allow myself to utter in the circle just blend vaguely into the general cloud, conveying very little real idea about my practice. Even allowing myself thirty or forty words would at least constitute some clarification. But somehow I never do. Maybe next year I won't be such a good boy. Or maybe Papa Barry will relax the rule a little, but be a little stricter about enforcement.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: WACCO picnic introductory circle

Quote Posted in reply to the post by occihoff: View Post
    ... Or maybe Papa Barry will relax the rule a little, but be a little stricter about enforcement.
    That's precisely the plan!

I actually like the idea of distilling what you want to share down to 10 words. If it's done right it could be quite effective. After all, the purpose, IMO, is to just introduce yourself, connecting your face (and the rest of your physical/energetic incarnation) with your name/username and provide some bit of information that may inspire further conversation.

However it seems like that is hard to get everybody to do ( though we did have a successful large circle on that basis at one the Bad Boys of Dance socials a few years ago). So rather than insisting on the 10 word limit, I allowed people more as long as it was very brief. But "very brief", isn't an objective measure, and I tried to step in when it seems like someone had gone on long enough and wasn't likely about to finish. I can see how it might be considered unfair.

So my plan for next year to limit everybody to something like 15 seconds, perhaps with a 5 second grace period after which we will summarily move on to the next person. Evalena Rose, a consummate group leader, generously offered to be the timer and bell ringer! I think that will be easier for everybody, aside from Evalena!

Sound good?

Also, how did you think the circle went?

Did you connect with somebody afterwards because of what they said?

4. TopTop #3
    meherc
    Supporting member

I wish the rule had been enforced more strictly too. Barry knows, that given free reign, I would go on and on. I didn't because those who did, I found a tad boring, and I thought it was a reasonable request to keep it short. There are other places to talk at length but the picnic wasn't it. I was being a good girl, a lot of the reason being that I like Barry and it seemed respectful to him to keep it short. If he was someone I wasn't so hot on, (That's a NY phrase, I'm not being sexual, though of course you are cute,Barry) I would ignore the restriction and get aggressive about having to shut up.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by occihoff: View Post
    As usual, Barry admonished us at the beginning to keep our introductory statements down to ten words, so that everyone would have equal time and attention. And as usual, many of us did cut it down very short. But, also as usual, a number of other people had no problem expatiating at great length, some even gracing us with little performances. Only a few of these speeches were finally curtailed by Barry. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 10-11-2014 at 10:43 AM.
    Marilyn Meshak Herczog, EA

5. TopTop #4
    meherc
    Supporting member

15 seconds is a little too short. 3 minutes, enforced, seems reasonable. I could hardly get my name out in 15 seconds.
    Yes, I did enjoy the circle though I was late, as usual, and did connect with quite a few people afterwards. Thanks.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    ...So my plan for next year to limit everybody to something like 15 seconds, perhaps with a 5 second grace period after which we will summarily move on to the next person. Evalena Rose, a consummate group leader, generously offered to be the timer and bell ringer! I think that will be easier for everybody, aside from Evalena! ...
    Last edited by Barry; 10-11-2014 at 10:45 AM.

6. TopTop #5
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Oh, BTW, I've heard about 3 couples that have come together thanks to the picnics of the last few years!

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #6
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Oh, BTW, I've heard about 3 couples that have come together thanks to the picnics of the last few years!
    And I just heard about another couple that has come together from this years picnic!

9. Gratitude expressed by:

10. TopTop #7
    meherc
    Supporting member

Well. it sure wasn't me.

And I just heard about another couple that has come together from this years picnic!