Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: Toyota Prius
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    wohlii

Toyota Prius

Has anyone heard of a guy in Corte Madera who has installed additional batteries in his Toyota Prius and now gets 180 mi/gl. Does anyone know his name or any hint how to get in touch with him?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2

Re: Toyota Prius

I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about, but you can go to www.calcars.org and get info about making the Prius a plug-in hybrid. Way better mileage - dont remember just how much. Jane

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wohlii:
    Has anyone heard of a guy in Corte Madera who has installed additional batteries in his Toyota Prius and now gets 180 mi/gl. Does anyone know his name or any hint how to get in touch with him?

3. TopTop #3
    catraeus

Re: Toyota Prius

There is a news article about him, Ron Gremban, here:
    https://msnbc.msn.com/id/8930811/
    but be warned (I'm an engineer like Mr. Gremban) you don't get something for nothing, of course.

1. The installation means putting these very heavy batteries into the car reducing the efficiency of the whole package.

2. Your electric bill goes up.

3. The energy still comes from our lovely, highly efficient california power grid :eek:

4. The total cost of ownership is higher than the base-level Prius.

5. Nobody has (as far as I know) studied the total fuel burden to the planet including manufacturing the batteries and generating the power to compare against a hyper-efficient fuel-only car such as a Suzuki. (I'm on to research that one over the next few months.) Motorcycles are still the most efficient from a total energy burden point of view. But I don't like dying young, it can ruin your day .

Regards

Duncan

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wohlii:

4. TopTop #4
    mediatorguy

Re: 100 MPG Toyota Prius

There's a different group doing the same thing - they were part of the Fuels of the Future exhibit (produced by Harmony Fest) at the Sonoma County Fair this week. Look up: https://www.calcars.org/

Matt

Quote Posted in reply to the post by catraeus:
    There is a news article about him, Ron Gremban, here:
    https://msnbc.msn.com/id/8930811/
    but be warned (I'm an engineer like Mr. Gremban) you don't get something for nothing, of course.

1. The installation means putting these very heavy batteries into the car reducing the efficiency of the whole package.

2. Your electric bill goes up.

3. The energy still comes from our lovely, highly efficient california power grid :eek:

4. The total cost of ownership is higher than the base-level Prius.

5. Nobody has (as far as I know) studied the total fuel burden to the planet including manufacturing the batteries and generating the power to compare against a hyper-efficient fuel-only car such as a Suzuki. (I'm on to research that one over the next few months.) Motorcycles are still the most efficient from a total energy burden point of view. But I don't like dying young, it can ruin your day .

Regards

Duncan