Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shandi

TEXTING continues it's KILLING SPREE!

A "comment" posted in Rohnert Park Patch regarding the fatal crash that took two lives while the driver was texting: (There are two places where this accident was posted. One has 7 comments, but the post I responded to didn't have any. My response follows the comment)

Doug Strickland March 18, 2014 at 10:35 AM
    Its interesting. Here in Austin TX its legal to talk and text on the phone anywhere but right around a school. In the time I've been here there have been no accidents resulting from texting or talking on a mobile phone. I think that using a mobile device is similar to using a gun in the commission of a crime. IF you are found to have been texting/talking AND you commit an infraction, or worse, injure someone else, THEN it becomes an issue, resulting in higher fines, etc. then should apply. Otherwise, why penalize the majority of people for the failings of a few others?!

Sandy Murphey March 18, 2014 at 11:15 AM
    So you think texting while driivng is no problem, even though it means taking your eyes off the road to read, and respond? Would you also drive blindfolded, until you hit someone? It's hard to believe that there haven't been any accidents in Austin,Tx from texting while driving. Can you site the statistical evidence on this? And BTW, driving blindfolded may not be illegal, but it's still pretty risky!
    Last edited by Barry; 03-18-2014 at 02:49 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Svea

Re: TEXTING continues it's KILLING SPREE!

It sounds from reports like the driver was possibly high, plus he was using his cell phone. Without passing judgement, I would call it distracted driving compounded by a stretch of highway that was to continue on its way over Spring Lake Park to Sonoma, and not have traffic come to an abrupt stop immediately after it veered to the right. That intersection was really going to be the off ramp, so as it stands today, it is very poorly designed. I use that intersection a lot and always look in my rear view mirror. I've had a couple of cars screech their brakes up behind me. No one has hit me yet. I may start using Bennett Valley Road more, because I think about what happened now when I drive through there.

Be safe out there.

Svea
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: