Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Valley Oak

Is the Noah's Ark story true?

I am wondering if there is any historical validity to the story of Noah's Ark. Is this a true story? Is any part of it true? Is there any evidence to support it? How old did Noah live to be? 75 years old? Younger? Older?

Please share your thoughts.

Thank you.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Geoff Johnson

Re: Is the Noah's Ark story true?

Why not start your research with Google?

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    Valley Oak

"Speak to the hand?" (your ID image).

The purpose of the post is to start a discussion, not for me to do research. The idea here is for people to participate in such a discussion and to contribute their thoughts and feelings and what they have been taught. Indeed, doing research would almost defeat the purpose entirely.

I did look up Noah's age and according to the bible, Noah was supposedly more than 900 years old when he died. Do you believe that any human being could have ever lived that long?

What do you think?

I noticed that you subscribed to the Wacco list today! Did my post inspire you to create an account? Perhaps I should get kickbacks from the list owner.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Geoff Johnson: View Post
    Why not start your research with Google?

5. TopTop #4
    Conly

"Is Noah's Ark a True Story?" : No its a teaching story. period. what you "learn" from it or any other parable is up to you. period. Ultimately "Omnivores eat vegetarians and other thing too!" or as the monk said to the student "this is it. Nothing comes next."

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Edward Mendoza: View Post

The purpose of the post is to start a discussion, not for me to do research. The idea here is for people to participate in such a discussion and to contribute their thoughts and feelings and what they have been taught. Indeed, doing research would almost defeat the purpose entirely.

I did look up Noah's age and according to the bible, Noah was supposedly more than 900 years old when he died. Do you believe that any human being could have ever lived that long?

What do you think?

I noticed that you subscribed to the Wacco list today! Did my post inspire you to create an account? Perhaps I should get kickbacks from the list owner.

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #5
    Geoff Johnson

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Edward Mendoza: View Post

Edward, thanks for explaining that you want to discuss the Noah's Ark story with others, rather than learn for yourself whatever is currently known. I noticed that many of the threads I browsed yesterday were more social than educational.

I personally can't see any point in discussing something with others who know no more about it than I do: the sharing of mutual ignorance, and second-hand knowledge. If I really want to know something, I look it up for myself, and the first place to look is Google.

I could understand your wanting to speculate with others about the ancient questions that have no clear answers, many of which are theological. But much is known about the history, pseudo-history, and folklore of the Bible, such as Noah's Ark, and you could look it up.

Now that I understand your purpose, I won't comment again on your discussion topics.

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #6
    Valley Oak

Wow, Geoff! So folks like me who want to have a discussion are engaging in "sharing mutual ignorance, and second-hand knowledge." Why are you so disrespectful of others? Did you feel threatened by my post?

My guess is that you yourself believe the Noah's Ark story and felt a need to attack me and my thread. (And if I wanted to know the "truth" then all I need to do is read your bible, despite the fact that there is no evidence for anything written in the book of christian mythology.)

Yes, I agree, Geoff. If you can only insult people who have a different opinion than you or, worse, don't believe in your god then, please, do not "participate."

You should read the Wacco guidelines regarding respect for others.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Geoff Johnson: View Post
    "...the sharing of mutual ignorance, and second-hand knowledge..."

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #7
    Deborah

Hmmm, Has anyone studied the bible? You couldn't make this stuff up, seriously...
    Try attending Calvary Chapel Petaluma to listen to the 33 year old pastor just once, and I think you might be pleasantly surprised that the stories in the bible are true.
    Sincerely,
    Deborah

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #8
    Thad

The evidence is all around that the earth was once a molten blob of magma. As the earth cooled down, at one point in time a planetary dew-point arrived and some of the gasses suspended in the atmosphere slowed down enough to become molecules gained mass becoming subject to gravity and it rained and rained and rained

The dew point is the temperature at which the water vapor in air at constant barometric pressure condenses into liquid water at the same rate at which it evaporates. At temperatures below the dew point, water will leave the air.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dew_point

As far as the biblical reasoning behind the story of Noah it was to rid the earth of the children of the Nephilim
    These were the same angels who were cast into hell and became the demons of nightmares

But I don't think it worked

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephilim

The term "Nephilim" occurs just twice in the Hebrew Bible, both in the Torah. The first is Genesis 6:1–4 NAS, immediately before the story of Noah's ark:

Now it came about, when men began to multiply on the face of the land, and daughters were born to them, that the sons of God (Angels) saw that the daughters of men were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves, whomever they chose.

14. Gratitude expressed by: