Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    ElJefe

Whole Food may be selling Food grown with Sewage Sludge

https://www.alternet.org/food/under-...-sewage-sludge

It turns out that Whole Foods has been (and currently continues) to purchase food from suppliers who *possibly* grow their crops with composted sewage sludge. With nonorganic produce, it appears there has been a "don't ask, don't tell" policy, so we can't know. There are plenty other articles out there that corroborate this use of sewage sludge. For example, right here in the Bay Area:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-sludge/31024/

If Whole Foods could buy this shit, just think about Safeway, Pacific Market, Fircrest...

Happy Eating!
    Jeff
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Dorothy Friberg

Re: Whole Food may be selling Food grown with Sewage Sludge

There are plenty of whole foods and more reliable at our local Farmer's Markets. And the food lasts longer because it is fresh picked. Since I have started buying @ farmers markets I feel better, am healthier and have lost 30 pounds. Hurray!!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ElJefe: View Post
    https://www.alternet.org/food/under-...-sewage-sludge

It turns out that Whole Foods has been (and currently continues) to purchase food from suppliers who *possibly* grow their crops with composted sewage sludge. With nonorganic produce, it appears there has been a "don't ask, don't tell" policy, so we can't know. There are plenty other articles out there that corroborate this use of sewage sludge. For example, right here in the Bay Area:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-sludge/31024/

4. TopTop #3
    Gene

Just another slam at Whole Foods. It seems they are taking appropriate action to protect their customers unlike anyone else. I love Community Market although their prices are high. Is this just another half truth meant to get people to shop at the Barlow? Whole Foods provides jobs to the community and a lower priced alternative to those of us who are on a tight budget and still want to eat as healthy as possible. I often see negative remarks about Whole Foods here. They have provided choice to many communities and have been influential at making organic much more mainstream. I for one appreciate the opportunity to shop there. If I had more change in my pocket I would be a loyal shopper at Community Market, they are the Best, a true old style organic store with great people but I really appreciate having Whole Foods in Sebastopol. Choice is good.

5. Gratitude expressed by:

6. TopTop #4
    Shandi

I agree that "choice is good", and I also think that access to information comes before beneficial "choices" can actually be made.

Any company doing business with the public is susceptible to scrutiny, and it would be dangerous for many of us if they weren't. I, for one, am thankful for "whistleblowers" who provide us with information we wouldn't otherwise have. But we always have a "choice", not to read (or believe) anything that might be influential in changing our current routines or habits.

If Whole Foods had been doing the "right" thing for it's customers, it wouldn't need to now be "taking appropriate action" to protect it's customers, after exposure. It wouldn't have been part of their routine in the first place.

Many "negative" remarks come from experience and information, rather than a personal attack on poor Whole Foods.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Gene: View Post
    Just another slam at Whole Foods....

7. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: