Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Multiple Digests - Explanation & Apology!

Hi Everybody,

There have been some problems with this site over the last couple of days. On Tuesday I put in an upgraded digest (better formatting for gmail users, aligned category listings, etc.) however there was a bug that broke all the links to the website (Ooops!).

Yesterday (Wednesday) I tried to rerun Tuesday’s digest after fixing the problem. However, just at that time, unbeknownst to me, there was a problem at my server company that prevented the emails from going out for hours. It looked like my digest re-send wasn't working, so I tried a few more times (like 15! I really wanted you guys to get it!). :pullshair

Well eventually at least some of those emails got sent, which is why you got several copies of Tuesday’s digest with the big orange box at the top. You may still receive another copy or two that was sent last night while the system cleans out the queue (I can't stop them, sorry). It will stop eventually, I promise! (The last one has a third line in the orange box on top apologizing if you got several copies). Double Ooops! (B r e a t h e and delete…)

Then, for good measure, my server company freaked out when they saw all those emails queued for sending (15 times the usual amount (which is about 1,850 these days)). It brought their server to its knees and they suspected that the site was being hacked so they shut it down!

The site came up a few hours ago, but email, including private replies, is still way backed up (as of Thursday 3:30pm). If you reply privately, it should eventually get sent.

Anyway, I hope things settle down soon. It appears there still is some kind of problem at the server. I'm sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your patience!

Barry

P.S. I sent out an email to you guys about this - and even that had to be sent a couple of times to some of you due to some glitch!
    Can you spell R E T R O G R A D E?
    Last edited by Barry; 07-31-2006 at 07:26 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    rekarp

Re: Multiple Digests - Explanation & Apology!

They are still coming - 24 digests so far!

3. TopTop #3
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rekarp:
    They are still coming - 24 digests so far!
    Hmmmm...I didn't send that many. I have an of what else could have gone wrong. I'll fix that too just in case, but it may have spewed out a bunch more digests...:eek: I am working with my server company to try to kill all the pending emails. Please accept my apologies...and keep deleting!
    Last edited by Barry; 07-29-2006 at 02:47 PM.

4. TopTop #4
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

It's Over! All digests have been pulled from the queue so you shouldn't receive any more until the normal one tonight. Whew! What a day... Thanks to all of you for your patience and especially Helen S & rekarp who helped provide some data so I could figure out what was happening. Time to go drink & dance!

P.S. Any Reply Private email you may have sent should have gone through, albeit after a few hours. You might want to follow up just in case.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-29-2006 at 02:49 PM.

5. TopTop #5

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry:
    It's Over! All digests have been pulled from the queue so you shouldn't receive any more until the normal one tonight. Whew! What a day... Thanks to all of you for your patience and especially Helen S & rekarp who helped provide some data so I could figure out what was happening. Time to go drink & dance!

P.S. Any Reply Private email you may have sent should have gone through, albeit after a few hours. You might want to follow up just in case.
    HOOOORAY oh fearless leader the heat must of got to the webb....god job guy

Catstone
    Last edited by Barry; 07-29-2006 at 02:49 PM.

6. TopTop #6
    psaltz

22 here: 15 yesterday, 7 today! I sure hope that's all . . . because they're so loaded with graphics, they take a long time to d/l on a 56k dialup connection . . .

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry:
    Hmmmm...I didn't send that many. I have an of what else could have gone wrong. I'll fix that too just in case, but it may have spewed out a bunch more digests...:eek: I am working with my server company to try to kill all the pending emails. Please accept my apologies...and keep deleting!
    Last edited by Barry; 07-29-2006 at 02:46 PM.