Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    ronliskey

A new low for the Nobel Committee

The following alert was sent by a friend in Norway:

Friends,

In an obscene development, a Monsanto executive is winning this year’s 'Nobel Prize of agriculture' -- the prestigious World Food Prize -- for creating GMOs. Receiving it legitimizes the sort of rampant genetic modification Monsanto pioneered, and helps validate a ruthless business model that impoverishes farmers and monopolizes our food. If that wasn't baffling enough, the founder of Syngenta, the same biotech giant joining Bayer in suing Europe to keep selling bee-killing pesticides, will also win the prize. The ceremony is in less than two weeks, so we need to act now.

Please join me in tell the World Food Prize Foundation not to reward Monsanto and bee-killer Syngenta’s outrageous practices. https://action.sumofus.org/a/world-food-prize-monsanto-syngenta/?sub=mtlm

E
    dit: A further twist on this story is that is seems this particular prize, like the one in Economics, is not a real Nobel prize awarded by the committee. It's an industry sponsored prize that pays big (tax deductible) bucks to the Nobel committee for the right to put the Nobel name on their green washing program.

Of course given the Nobel committee's consistent foolishness with real Nobel Prizes (a peace prize to Kissinger!!?), maybe it doesn't matter who bribes the committee--or why.

Ah well. Let's forget that and watch some mindless entertainment at the nearest (Insert Large Corporate Name) Coliseum, that was built with public funds.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2

4. TopTop #3

Re: A new low for the Nobel Committee

Am I missing something? I see no reference whatvever to the Nobel Prize on their web page other than the fact that the founder of this prize was a Nobel Prize winner himself. As far as I can see there is no other connection. This was probably some lazy minded reporter who described it that way (I once heard someone seriously describe the Cadillac as "the Rolls Royce of motor cars"!)

I think you owe the Nobel Prize Committee an apology, at least for this particular slur. And maybe a change in the title of the thread would be in order. (Unless perhaps I did miss something, in which case please point it out to me.)

Patrick Brinton

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ronliskey: View Post
    The following alert was sent by a friend in Norway:

Friends,

In an obscene development, a Monsanto executive is winning this year’s 'Nobel Prize of agriculture' -- the prestigious World Food Prize -- for creating GMOs. Receiving it legitimizes the sort of rampant genetic modification Monsanto pioneered, and helps validate a ruthless business model that impoverishes farmers and monopolizes our food. If that wasn't baffling enough, the founder of Syngenta, the same biotech giant joining Bayer in suing Europe to keep selling bee-killing pesticides, will also win the prize. The ceremony is in less than two weeks, so we need to act now.

Please join me in tell the World Food Prize Foundation not to reward Monsanto and bee-killer Syngenta’s outrageous practices. https://action.sumofus.org/a/world-food-prize-monsanto-syngenta/?sub=mtlm

E
    dit: A further twist on this story is that is seems this particular prize, like the one in Economics, is not a real Nobel prize awarded by the committee. It's an industry sponsored prize that pays big (tax deductible) bucks to the Nobel committee for the right to put the Nobel name on their green washing program.

Of course given the Nobel committee's consistent foolishness with real Nobel Prizes (a peace prize to Kissinger!!?), maybe it doesn't matter who bribes the committee--or why.

Ah well. Let's forget that and watch some mindless entertainment at the nearest (Insert Large Corporate Name) Coliseum, that was built with public funds.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email