Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: stepping stones
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Juggledude

stepping stones

Trusting in the universe, she raises stepping stones under our feet, allowing us to cross the abyss of our lives with sure footing. The appearance of these stones speaks to me of acceptance and support, of following a path of love. It reassures me that my actions are in alignment with my purpose, and reminds me of my faith.

Just yesterday, I placed a call to an old friend, one I had not seen in many months. I called and left a message on a generic voice mail recording, to the number I last had for this friend. Not knowing that the phone number no longer was valid, not knowing that I had no technological way to connect with this friend, I put my intention into words, words which will undoubtedly be a bit confusing to whomever now owns this phone number. The universe heard my intention, and not 30 minutes later, I "just happened" to run into this old friend in the grocery store!

I firmly believe that that which is called coincidence from one paradigm is called magick from another, and can be influenced by our intent.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Willie Lumplump

Re: stepping stones

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Juggledude: View Post
    I firmly believe that that which is called coincidence from one paradigm is called magick from another, and can be influenced by our intent.
    The human mind is notoriously inept at estimating probabilities accurately. During our six million year-long history, our brain evolved a strong tendency to see connections between events and circumstances. And, on the average, we were more likely to survive by seeing connections that weren't there than by not seeing connections that were there. When we connected a shaking bush with a tiger that wasn't there, the penalty was insignificant. When we didn't connect a shaking bush with a tiger that was there, the penalty was death, and the genes that let us down fell out of the gene pool.

You remember an improbable coincidence, but how many opportunities for coincidence have there been that were never realized? When there are enough opportunities for coincidences to happen, eventually something that seems improbable will happen, as it did in the case of your phone call and your accidental meeting.

We all would like to believe that we are tuned into a higher power, and something more elevated than we is paying attention to how we live our lives. Such beliefs help give us meaning and purpose. I believe that this way of finding meaning also had survival value, since an ancestor who was depressed over the knowledge of his own mortality might not perform well and therefore might not become anybody's ancestor.

I like the Way of Zen. Everything is pretty much what it seems to be on the surface. There are no hidden agendas and nobody--and no entity--behind the scenes pulling the strings of the world. Meaning is to be found in the simple, ordinary things of life because that's what life is mainly composed of--simple, ordinary things.

3. TopTop #3
    Juggledude

Re: stepping stones

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Willie Lumplump: View Post
    I like the Way of Zen. Everything is pretty much what it seems to be on the surface. There are no hidden agendas and nobody--and no entity--behind the scenes pulling the strings of the world. Meaning is to be found in the simple, ordinary things of life because that's what life is mainly composed of--simple, ordinary things.
    The Way of Zen seems to hold some good concepts, though I must admit to being only peripherally familiar with them. From my personal viewpoint, I agree that there is no entity pulling the strings of the world, although my focus is on the verb rather than the nouns in that statement. Meaning IS to be found in the simple ordinary things of life, such as coincidences!

I believe we agree, fundamentally. That belief brings me comfort, and will probably allow me to avoid the tiger and thus get laid. Thanks for humoring me.

Royce