Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    gypsey

Parks Commission Meeting November 18th re: Ragle Ranch Dog Park

On October 7th, Sonoma County Regional Parks expanded small dog hours at Ragle Ranch Dog Park so that these hours are now, 7 days a week, from 11am-noon and 3pm-4pm. This was done without consulting other dog park users. The Regional Parks Advisory Commission will now meet on November 18th to discuss the potential for making this change permanent, and have asked for advance feedback re the issue via email.

Some of the issues that I am concerned about as the owner of a medium sized dog are as follows:

• ALL dog sizes are welcome during all of the other dog park hours and many small dogs attend.
    • There are no hours reserved for the exclusive use of larger dogs--just small dogs, who now, after many years of one hour of exclusive use, have two.
    • The hours selected for exclusive use by small dogs include from 3-4 pm when many families collect their children from school and with their dogs (of all sizes) in tow, frequent the park for after-school play. This is now denied them.
    • The additional hour selected for exclusive weekend small dog use is from 11-12, when many families who work during the week frequent the park with their kids and dogs (of all sizes) in tow to play, perhaps picnic at lunchtime near by, and spend extended time at the dog park. This is now denied them.
    If you share my concerns or simply wish to express opinions of your own, then I urge you to contact the commission via email or attend the meeting from 5-7 pm, Nov 18th, at 2300 County Center Drive, Suite A312, in Santa Rosa. The email address is: parks@sonoma-county-org. The subject line should read: "Ragle Ranch small dog hours."
    Thanks!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    nyn8088

Re: Parks Commission Meeting November 18tre: Ragle Ranch Dog Park

The park is big enough, why not just fence off a small area at the back by the trees, {Like the Rohnert Park dog park}That area is not used a whole, whole lot. It doesnt have to cost a lot I may be able to come up with some type of fencing. I can certainly volunteer installing it. I dont know why little dogs need there own space, they usually have small dog syndrome and can hold there own.
    Last edited by Barry; 11-18-2019 at 01:40 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    Dustyg

Small dog syndrome? Big dog syndrome? Don'/t think so. Larger dogs can and do attack smaller ones, just like human beings do! Let's be fair, give small dog owners access to a safe off leash space during more than one hour a day? Why should big dogs get more? Yes, the little ones can mix with big ones, but it's not necessarily safe. There's one dog park I go to where they do mix, but it's because the dog owners are very careful about which dogs they bring to the park, and there's never been a problem there. Here, in Sebastopol, there have been attitudes on the side of the bigger dogs against smaller ones...I know, I used to go when the dog park was new here....but stopped for those reasons....

Quote Posted in reply to the post by nyn8088: View Post
    The park is big enough, why not just fence off a small area at the back by the trees, {Like the Rohnert Park dog park}That area is not used a whole, whole lot. It doesnt have to cost a lot I may be able to come up with some type of fencing. I can certainly volunteer installing it. I dont know why little dogs need there own space, they usually have small dog syndrome and can hold there own.

6. TopTop #4
    Dustyg

Yes, I did read that. It seemed, again, to favor the 'big' dogs.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dustyg: View Post
    Small dog syndrome? Big dog syndrome? Don'/t think so. Larger dogs can and do attack smaller ones, just like human beings do! Let's be fair, give small dog owners access to a safe off leash space during more than one hour a day? Why should big dogs get more? Yes, the little ones can mix with big ones, but it's not necessarily safe. There's one dog park I go to where they do mix, but it's because the dog owners are very careful about which dogs they bring to the park, and there's never been a problem there. Here, in Sebastopol, there have been attitudes on the side of the bigger dogs against smaller ones...I know, I used to go when the dog park was new here....but stopped for those reasons....