Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    pamelaL

TIME CHANGE! Let's "Save" daylight

How "coincidental" that daylight "savings" happens just before elections every year. When I worked in the ER, daylight savings times were one of the "short straws" to draw for work (along with holidays). Auto accidents noticeably increased. Additionally, people who were challenged with MDI became destabilized increasing the frequently of their visits; often suicidal in the fall and manic in the spring. These increases were predictable and noticeable for about 72 hours following the time change. Those of us who work under time agreements are forced to accommodate this change instead of letting our animal body be in synch with the Natural ebb and flow of light upon the earth. Now, if one uses a clock connected to the web, the report of time just automatically changes. This happens twice a year at times when Nature is unstable and changing season already. I dislike it myself as if feels like one more unnatural imposition on humanity. How does time change effect you?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

3. TopTop #2
    geomancer

Re: TIME CHANGE! Let's "Save" daylight

I'm semi-retired, so I get up when I want to. I would prefer to keep *summertime* year round. The daylight is most useful to me in the evening.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by pamelaL: View Post

4. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

5. TopTop #3
    wisewomn

Someone please remind/correct me, but I thought CA voted in favor recently to stay at DST instead of changing twice a year? TIA.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by geomancer: View Post

6. TopTop #4
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wisewomn: View Post
    I thought CA voted in favor recently to stay at DST
    I think it was trickier than that - I think it was to make it legal to switch, not to actually switch. I guess it was written as a law before, but now someone is authorized to actually decide to do it. Who that might be, I have no clue!

7. TopTop #5
    carpet crawler

In 2018 California voted to allow the legislature to set daylight savings time, as long as it conforms to federal law. Currently federal law does not allow for year-round daylight savings time anywhere. So even if people wanted 'permanent' DST, it is against federal law and cannot happen. The vote allows for the possibility of that happening should the feds allow it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_C..._Proposition_7
    https://vig.cdn.sos.ca.gov/2018/gene...mplete-vig.pdf (see page 44 of the PDF)

8. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

9. TopTop #6

I don't get why the daylight gets shorter in the winter. Seems backward. I mean, I think I remember they made these changes long ago when everyone was a farmer and they wanted to work the fields later in the spring and summer but now---? Weird ! Lilith
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by carpet crawler: View Post

10. TopTop #7
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lilith Rogers: View Post
    by now, we do it because we do it. People have made up reasons, I think they're cart-before-the-horse, reasons made up to explain after the fact. One easy one is - who wants kids going to school in the dark? but there are a bucket of pro and con reasons for either choice

11. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

12. TopTop #8
    pamelaL

The history of daylight savings goes something like this: Benjamin Franklin wrote an article on it to "save energy" because it had been enacted in England first, and then Germany around WWI. and soon after it was enacted in the USA where it has continued more or less. Later it was said it was "for the farmers" and still later "for the school children" (who can argue with children?). Meanwhile, dirty politics and wars were abundant. There has been research done demonstrating that electrical use actually rises during daylight "savings." - there are those who favor it, at least in the fall, and actually believe it gives them more daylight.

13. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

14. TopTop #9
    pamelaL

but really, why destabilize all of those who go by time agreements when the actual amount of light in the sky ebbs and flows in a rhythm that does not change just because we change the clock? We could choose a time 30 minutes between the two and leave it alone.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post

15. Gratitude expressed by:

16. TopTop #10
    spam1

Someone please ... correct me·
    oh good, I always like to correct people.

Ca voted to -allow- staying on DST if it comported with Federal law.

(p.s. notice the clever use of the ellipsis to subtly change meaning of the previous post, all while following proper journalistic practices)

17. Gratitude expressed by: