Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    treehugger

what is the problem

I and others at times have at times had to search for new homes for our beloved pets and were were attacked by barbara on this site . in my case i offered to spay my show quality pit and chip her for free if desired but didnt insist the dog be sterilized. really i dont want a flame war but what is barbaras problem. not everything in the world needs sterilizing, except perhaps some of the police dept or politicians. OOPS this ought to get me banned off wacco for disagreeing. whatever. have a nice day all. really we who love animals need to do something about the no pet policies in california. or love it or leave it. see ya. im on my way someplace, probly acreage in the high sierras at least i can protect some trees.
    Last edited by treehugger; 07-26-2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: errpr
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    quirkypixie

Re: what is the problem

I think, what it boils down too, is that there are 2 schools of animal lovers.....the "live and let live" group, and the group who want animals to be spayed and neutered.

I agree that there is a small group of people who tend to "attack" at the mere mention of an unfixed animal.....however we need to remember why they do it.....out of a love and caring for the animals (not that people who disagree with their point don't care). Having seen puppies and kittens put to death because of irresponsible owners (not breeders) I understand this....

I get the whole "live and let live" people too........kinda of a "not my problem" thing.......

3. TopTop #3
    quirkypixie

roberta roberta said "my dog is registered and breeding stock quality making her exempt from legal issues of the hell of califonia nazi ism. she is so passive that she is not even a watchdog let alone a fighter. she sleeps with a kitten . you know u need to think before you speak and that goes for all the rest of busybodies."

What I said was respectful (I would expect the same in return).....I was attempting to explain 2 sides. I never said I was against pit bulls (please correct me if I am wrong). I am, however against irresponsible pet ownership (again, not pointing fingers......)

4. TopTop #4
    santarosie

Unwanted animals are the problem. Maybe a home will be found for this pit bull, maybe not. It's likely she'll wind up at a shelter at some point in her life, and the chance of finding a home for her before she is killed is not good. If she breeds, her offspring will probably suffer the same fate, possibly worse in the fighting circuit. I just don't know how people can ignore these gut-wrenching truths. For those us us who have worked in the shelters, in the trenches, loving and caring for these unwanted animals, only to see them destroyed, it is absolutely heartbreaking.

Pet Overpopulation Statistics from spcaLA Home Page - Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Los Angeles
    By Maureen Schooley 12/28/2008

• Number of cats and dogs entering shelters
    each year: 6-8 million (HSUS estimate)

• Number of cats and dogs euthanized
    by shelters each year: 3 - 4M (HSUS estimate)

• Number of cats and dogs adopted from
    shelters each year: 3 - 4M (HSUS estimate)

• Number of cats and dogs reclaimed by owners
    from shelters each year: Between 600 and 750k --
    30% of dogs and 2-5% of cats entering shelters
    (HSUS estimate)

• Number of animal shelters in the USA:
    Between 4k and 6k (HSUS estimate)

• Percentage of dogs in shelters
    who are purebred: 25% (HSUS estimate)

• Average number of litters a
    fertile cat can produce in one year: 3

• Average number of kittens
    in a feline litter: 4 - 6

• In 7 years, one female cat and her
    offspring can theoretically produce 420k cats.

fertile dog can produce in one year: 2

• Average number of pups per canine litter: 6-10

• In 6 years, one female dog and her
    offspring can theoretically produce 67k dogs.

It costs U.S. taxpayers an estimated $2 billion
    each year to round up, house, kill, and dispose
    of homeless animals. (USA Today)

Over 56% of dogs and puppies entering shelters
    are killed based on reports from over 1,055 facilities
    across America. (National Counsel on Pet Population Study)

An estimated 5M cats and dogs are killed in shelters each year.
    That means that one animal is euthanized every six and one half
    seconds. (HSUS)

Each day 10k humans are born in the USA, and each day
    70k pups and kittens are born. As long as these birth rates
    exist, there will never be enough homes for all the animals
    (Spay USA)

5. TopTop #5
    Dram

Hey, Personal names are for personal moments, out here is presumptious to make someones name confronted, you are wrong to do that, you should apologize to her publicly

Quote Posted in reply to the post by treehugger: View Post
    I and others at times have at times had to search for new homes for our beloved pets and were were attacked by barbara on this site . in my case i offered to spay my show quality pit and chip her for free if desired but didnt insist the dog be sterilized. really i dont want a flame war but what is barbaras problem. not everything in the world needs sterilizing, except perhaps some of the police dept or politicians. OOPS this ought to get me banned off wacco for disagreeing. whatever. have a nice day all. really we who love animals need to do something about the no pet policies in california. or love it or leave it. see ya. im on my way someplace, probly acreage in the high sierras at least i can protect some trees.

6. TopTop #6
    Hotspring 44

Number of offspring my 13 year old un-neutered male pit mix is responsible for: 0. just because some people don't do it your way it does not mean they can't do it!
    sometimes generalizations are ignorant of facts.
    by the way I live Mendocino County, so don't bother wasting your time trying to look me up and bust me because my sweet, friendly, excellent with cats, and children, dog has balls!
    however if I lived in Los Angeles I would probably have him neutered just to keep people from stealing him and trying to make him fight.
    All the cats, we have here were I am visiting at the moment have been spayed or neutered.
    I have no intentions of breeding my dog either.
    one of the three main reasons I do not live in Sonoma County is because of the breed discrimination neuter requirement. :policeman:
    Or did that change recently since I moved? or is it still pits, pit mixes, and Rottweilers, or does Sonoma County now also require you to neuter your border collie too?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by santarosie: View Post
    Unwanted animals are the problem. Maybe a home will be found for this pit bull, maybe not. It's likely she'll wind up at a shelter at some point in her life, and the chance of finding a home for her before she is killed is not good. If she breeds, her offspring will probably suffer the same fate, possibly worse in the fighting circuit. I just don't know how people can ignore these gut-wrenching truths. For those us us who have worked in the shelters, in the trenches, loving and caring for these unwanted animals, only to see them destroyed, it is absolutely heartbreaking.

Pet Overpopulation Statistics from spcaLA Home Page - Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Los Angeles
    By Maureen Schooley 12/28/2008

• Number of cats and dogs entering shelters
    each year: 6-8 million (HSUS estimate)

• Number of cats and dogs euthanized
    by shelters each year: 3 - 4M (HSUS estimate)

• Number of cats and dogs adopted from
    shelters each year: 3 - 4M (HSUS estimate)

• Number of cats and dogs reclaimed by owners
    from shelters each year: Between 600 and 750k --
    30% of dogs and 2-5% of cats entering shelters
    (HSUS estimate)

• Number of animal shelters in the USA:
    Between 4k and 6k (HSUS estimate)

• Percentage of dogs in shelters
    who are purebred: 25% (HSUS estimate)

fertile cat can produce in one year: 3

• Average number of kittens
    in a feline litter: 4 - 6

• In 7 years, one female cat and her
    offspring can theoretically produce 420k cats.

fertile dog can produce in one year: 2

• Average number of pups per canine litter: 6-10

• In 6 years, one female dog and her
    offspring can theoretically produce 67k dogs.

It costs U.S. taxpayers an estimated $2 billion
    each year to round up, house, kill, and dispose
    of homeless animals. (USA Today)

Over 56% of dogs and puppies entering shelters
    are killed based on reports from over 1,055 facilities
    across America. (National Counsel on Pet Population Study)

An estimated 5M cats and dogs are killed in shelters each year.
    That means that one animal is euthanized every six and one half
    seconds. (HSUS)

Each day 10k humans are born in the USA, and each day
    70k pups and kittens are born. As long as these birth rates
    exist, there will never be enough homes for all the animals
    (Spay USA)

7. TopTop #7
    treehugger

anyone who can put an animal to death should be boiled in oil alive

Quote Posted in reply to the post by quirkypixie: View Post
    I think, what it boils down too, is that there are 2 schools of animal lovers.....the "live and let live" group, and the group who want animals to be spayed and neutered.

I agree that there is a small group of people who tend to "attack" at the mere mention of an unfixed animal.....however we need to remember why they do it.....out of a love and caring for the animals (not that people who disagree with their point don't care). Having seen puppies and kittens put to death because of irresponsible owners (not breeders) I understand this....

I get the whole "live and let live" people too........kinda of a "not my problem" thing.......

8. TopTop #8
    Dram

Should people who eat meat be put to death? If you want to know the real nitty griddy, a life sentence in prison is worse than a death sentence...a life sentence of neglect or ill health or no chance for freedom or being an animal that is a danger to others is a life that is worse than death...if you have it in you to boil someone in oil, you should wonder about yourself...

9. TopTop #9
    Hotspring 44

We had a dog that had advanced cancer; she was almost 14 years old, she had a secondary condition from that which made her blood septic.
    She was suffering extremely.
    We took her to the vet to have her euthanized because it was obviously time. :crying2:
    She was going in and out of coma.
    She would howl in pain when she woke up from temporary coma, I think we probably waited a little too long.
    The time we got her to the veterinarian she was in coma, but still alive. The infection was so bad that she already smelled like she had been dead for days.
    It was around midnight Sunday morning. It was an (expensive) emergency veterinarian visit.
    I hope you don't think we should be “boiled in oil”.
    In other words: having an (beloved) animal euthanized in conditions such as that; were as they are suffering, and ultimately going to die sooner rather than later; is different, then putting them to do ‘death’.

Besides that literally boiling somebody in oil (or anything else) alive is not and never should be an option for any reason.

Hotspring 44.