Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    caromia333

California MD making an argument against stay at home

Bill Maher's interview with Yale MD with similair view point
    Last edited by caromia333; 04-29-2020 at 01:11 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

3. TopTop #2
    gypsey

Re: California MD making an argument against stay at home

You know, I was impressed with the Yale Md talking with Bill Maher. But I've also noticed that in dense populations such as inner cities, nursing homes, and meat packing plants, where people are unable to social distance and take precautions, the number of infected and dead are soaring--immunity isn't happening or, perhaps, not enough.. How do we strike a balance? In my opinion, we know very little about this new virus (sorry, Bakersfield owner/MD) and how to build immunity, SAFELY. until we know more I am going to be cautious. But thanks, this was good info.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-28-2020 at 02:21 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

5. TopTop #3
    gypsey

BTW, how did Doctor Dan Erickson get his hands on "thousands" of COVID 19 tests? I thought there was a shortage.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-28-2020 at 02:21 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #4
    caromia333

thank YOU - YES I agree. Nothing is simple.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gypsey: View Post
    You know, I was impressed with the Yale Md talking with Bill Maher. But I've also noticed that in dense populations such as inner cities, nursing homes, and meat packing plants, where people are unable to social distance and take precautions, the number of infected and dead are soaring--immunity isn't happening or, perhaps, not enough.. How do we strike a balance? In my opinion, we know very little about this new virus (sorry, Bakersfield owner/MD) and how to build immunity, SAFELY. until we know more I am going to be cautious. But thanks, this was good info.

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #5
    forestvaros

The Bakersfield doctors are the worst kind of opportunists, spreading dangerous information. It is despicable. They are firm supporters of a leader who has advocated for lethal "treatments" of this disease including injecting disinfectant into the human body. Any medical professional aligning themselves with our executive in this crisis demonstrates the degree of their allegiance to science and evidence: none.

Here's a good article from KQED providing contextualization.
    Though Widely Discredited, Bakersfield Doctors' COVID-19 Test Conclusions Spread Like Wildfire

Some salient points:

"In a rare statement late Monday, the American College of Emergency Physicians and the American Academy of Emergency Medicine declared they “emphatically condemn the recent opinions released by Dr. Daniel Erickson and Dr. Artin Messihi. These reckless and untested musings do not speak for medical societies and are inconsistent with current science and epidemiology regarding COVID-19. As owners of local urgent care clinics, it appears these two individuals are releasing biased, non-peer reviewed data to advance their personal financial interests without regard for the public’s health.”"

Also:
    "The doctors should never have assumed that the patients they tested — who came for walk-in COVID-19 tests or who sought urgent care for symptoms they experienced in the middle of a pandemic — are representative of the general population, said Dr. Carl Bergstrom, a University of Washington biologist who specializes in infectious disease modeling. He likened their extrapolations to “estimating the average height of Americans from the players on an NBA court.” And most credible studies of COVID-19 death rates are far higher than the ones the doctors presented.

“They’ve used methods that are ludicrous to get results that are completely implausible,” Bergstrom said."
    Last edited by Barry; 04-30-2020 at 10:53 AM.

10. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

11. TopTop #6
    caromia333

Thank YOU so much for sharing this critical information. I deleted the post of the Bakerfield doctors and apologize for not doing more research before posting it.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by forestvaros: View Post

The Bakersfield doctors are the worst kind of opportunists, spreading dangerous information. It is despicable. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 04-30-2020 at 10:54 AM.

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #7
    forestvaros

Hey, you're very welcome. It's a time with SO much information circulating that it can be hard to sift through what is actually valid. One of the worst things is seeing both our key leaders and many well educated persons spreading garbage parading as information. As a PhD in social sciences, I have my areas of expertise and those areas where I have absolutely no specialized knowledge or expertise. One thing that is crucially important for experts to do is to STAY IN OUR LANES. I can speak very well to inequalities and social factors as they relate to this disease. I have absolutely no business trying my hand at epidemiology. And neither do these dudes running an urgent care out of Bakersfield.

We have capitalists running hospitals, medical doctors playing epidemiologists, and 45 parading as an expert in ... everything. Everything about this situation is ludicrous. And tragic.

Anyway, thanks for revising the post. I haven't watched the other video yet.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by caromia333: View Post
    Thank YOU so much for sharing this critical information. I deleted the post of the Bakerfield doctors and apologize for not doing more research before posting it.