Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    parlyvous

The Fallacy/Frustration of Section 8 Voucher program.

We are led to believe if we fit the criteria for even getting on the Section 8 waiting list, if we are patient and manage to survive where we are living, eventually we will be notified and given a housing voucher to assist us with rent. That we will cease to live from day to day, month to month in trepidation of losing the roof over our head due to arbitrary rental practices or having the place sold out from under us, etc.

I joined the hopeful when I was reviewed and allowed to be on the waiting list in January 2007. In January 2008 I moved, as the home I was living in was foreclosed on. I managed to locate in an RV park and lived there for a year and a half. The noise, lack of privacy, and a arbitrary policy of having to have one's trailer moved to another part of the park every 6 to 9 months, added to the disarray of living there.

After living thus, for a year and a half, I moved again, to country property. Thinking I was very fortunate, I invested in having an electrician put in the proper connections for an RV, and paid someone to move the RV to the site, which was a postage stamp sized particle of land. I had to accept I had no septic system to connect to, but it seemed a better choice than the RV park. Alas, the choice country property turned out to be anything but. Let me just say ongoing drama, questionable activity on said property, a revolving door on tenants, that either stayed to contribute to aforementioned activity, bringing their own disharmony, & opening the place for 'strangers' to come and go, or were people who had mistakenly thought they were coming to a place of quietude, like myself and found different and left as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, my finances were such, I could not just pick up and leave, like more fortunate former tenants. Not that I didn't try. Craigslist, word of mouth, flyers were availed of. I endured, suffering stress of living under such conditions as the years continued to pass. Note: I only relate my experiences in regards to living conditions while awaiting a Section 8 voucher to let dear reader know the trials and tribulations, and conditions one many times, has to endure. I know I am not alone in this.

I was prompt when I moved each time to report the move to the Housing Authority and would call them occasionally, to make sure the information they held regarding my newest address and contact information was up to date and assure myself I was secure on the list. I began to question when others spoke of being contacted by H.A. and given housing vouchers, so I called H.A. again and was told they could not find me on the list! Days later, I was contacted and told "someone had put me on the non-active list" ! (By then, it had been 7 years of waiting and being increasingly traumatized by my living conditions. Things were such, that IHSS and Adult Protective Services attentions were called to the property and landowner. I was threatened with a huge rent increase, which I could not pay and it was only when A.P.S. was called in that the landowner backed down.)

I sought help in getting housing but was told "the housing situation in Sonoma County is very tight." I was left to my own devices, with the exception of being told I could move to a Shelter and give up all my belongings and cat. That was not an option, though I was eager to leave. I had sacrificed and given up much of my worldly goods, when the house foreclosed. As was mentioned after pursuing H.A. again, finding that I had been on the non-active list most probably for years, the issue was looked into and after another 3 months I had an intake appointment and then orientation meeting and handed a housing voucher and told I had 3 months to find a place. No mention of the faux pas, on their part.

Obtaining a housing voucher initially, seems is the goal to obtain. It is not until one finally gets it does one find that repeatedly, one either finds ads for housing which often state "No housing vouchers." or apartment managers turn you away upon finding out you hold a voucher. The stigma for voucher holders seems to be countrywide, as I have searched the internet for information and the story is the same from state to state. We, the voucher holders aren't wanted. Despite the fact I'm mature, have great local references, a background in Community Services and Nursing, do not smoke, drink, no one is interested when Section 8 comes up.

I searched for those 3 months to no avail and panicked, approached H.A. after reviewing the packet they give you at the initial orientation meeting, thinking I would have to be interviewed and possibly not given an extension on the time I needed to find a place. It seems though, that the situation is so bad, they stopped questioning those that asked for an extenstion and just handed out a letter stating an additional month was granted. I was told by an employee at H.A. that my case was not rare and that many "frantic people" had requested extensions. So another month ticks by, and the same thing, goes on. Ads/managers stating "no voucher holders." (we are told at the orientation, to seek an interview about an apartment or house without mentioning Section 8, to hopefully better our chances, little knowing at that time just how difficult the housing search would be, until we hold that piece of paper and start the quest.)

Many of us have put our lives on hold and endure, waiting for the 'voucher day' to come, only to find our chances of obtaining housing are small to nil. During my search I found one woman who was begging on Craigslist for a place for her and her 2 sons. Her initial housing voucher had expired and she had to wait 4 more years to be called again and had those impossibly short 3 months to try and find a place to live with 2 now, teenage boys.

I think it is a great disservice to people who hopefully wait for years, thinking getting that voucher will be the end of squatting on friends couches, living in cramped quarters with children, or like myself, enduring emotional abuse in surroundings one would not voluntarily chose to live in had one had a choice, to find we are repeatedly turned away simply due to the aforementioned stigmas seemingly attached to Voucher holders.

This issue needs to be addressed locally and nationwide. This is a chronic problem, not only for voucher holders, but those that just make enough to not be able to avail themselves of any assistance, but cannot afford the ever climbing rents. In purportedly the 'richest country' in the world there is an increasing number of people homeless, or near to becoming so. I am one of them.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-10-2016 at 02:42 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    ladyjoni

Re: The Fallacy/Frustration of Section 8 Voucher program.

I too was very hopeful after being on the HUD

3. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

4. TopTop #3
    wisewomn

Many years ago in another lifetime, I was a property manager in the East Bay for a man who rented almost exclusively to Sec. 8 tenants. His attitude was that although probably half the people he rented to would not be "good" tenants (ie, they would trash the properties, not pay their rent on time if at all, disturb their neighbors, etc.), he would still be assured of getting most of his rent every month on time from HUD. His properties were well-maintained (part of my job) and decent places to live even though they were in questionable neighborhoods. Some of the people I had to deal with were very difficult, and most of them ended up getting evicted for non-payment of rent, which is expensive and time-consuming for the owners. At that time (1980s) it was not unusual for someone to wait 2 years for a voucher.

Property owners are familiar with stories of these kinds of tenants and do not want to deal with them. Others don't want to have to keep up their properties--their only interest is in getting as much money out of the property as possible. Some don't want to hassle with the initial paperwork involved. And some owners do not want limits put on how much they can charge for rent. These are conditions that HUD places on owners who rent to people on Sec. 8.

I think that today, even though the housing market is much tighter and rents are obscenely high and wages have been stagnant for 40 years, many property owners still think/believe that Sec. 8 people are basically undesirable. They do not comprehend that there are now many decent people who simply cannot afford the going rates for rental properties.

There is also the cultural stigma attached to being poor in this country. People don't want to be reminded that but for good fortune, they could be in the same boat. Since the Reagan years, the predominant attitude has been "I got mine and to hell with everyone else."

I am a renter myself and certainly not an apologist for landlords. There is still truth in the old saying, "There is nothing blacker than a landlord's heart." But it is important to recognize all the factors in play here. Attitudes need to change, and if supposedly "low-income housing" is going to be built, there have to be guarantees that Sec. 8 tenants will be included.

Meanwhile, desperate people could consider moving to less-populated counties and applying for Sec. 8 there. There will be less competition for vouchers, hopefully. Once they get their voucher, they can move back to Sonoma County because the vouchers are transferable from county to county and even from state to state. However, barring major changes, I'm afraid they will still encounter the same difficulties and prejudice they are encountering now.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ladyjoni: View Post
    Last edited by Barry; 06-09-2016 at 11:42 AM.

5. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

6. TopTop #4
    snake

..."I am a renter myself and certainly not an apologist for landlords. There is still truth in the old saying, "There is nothing blacker than a landlord's heart"...

Geez, love the stereotyping there. Anyone that wants to throw that quote around needs to become a landlord, and see what it can be like on 'the other side'.

First requirement before becoming a landlord is to watch the movie, "Pacific Heights."

There are a lot of good and fair landlords out there, and plenty of landlords have been burned themselves.

I agree that landlords who just want the money and don't care about much else, are of course, terrible. One often end's up with crappy neighbors/renters who trash the property, and the landlords don't care, and the renters don't care. That makes a really lousy combo!

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #5
    wisewomn

Snake, I have worked for/represented both good and bad landlords and I hope to never be one. I just wanted to provide a broader picture for people who are frustrated by the Section 8 Program.

I notice that you don't object to the ongoing stereotypes of Section 8 renters...

You might want to watch "The Tree of the Wooden Clogs."

Quote Posted in reply to the post by snake: View Post
    ....Geez, love the stereotyping there. Anyone that wants to throw that quote around needs to become a landlord, and see what it can be like on 'the other side'. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 06-13-2016 at 09:00 AM.

9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

10. TopTop #6
    snake

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wisewomn: View Post
    You might want to watch "The Tree of the Wooden Clogs."
    Ah, one of my all time favorite movies!...I highly recommend it.

11. TopTop #7
    KatyO459

I too have a Section8 housing choice voucher,,,and have been issued a 90 day notice to move from my rental house of 11 years.
    Most rental ads I spend 30 to forty dollars applying to do not want Section8 vouchered tenants!
    I've wasted a lot on credit check/application fees only to be told the property doesn't allow Section8 tenants,,,I'm broke having to wait till my July SSRI disability check before going through more of the same,,,frustrating and mentally taxing and very costly ,
    Something HAS to be done about this!.
    I don't drink,,,smoke,,drug ..have great rental and personal references...and am a good person over 50,,,,
    What am I supposed to do? Tell me please!!!!
    A tent?...where?...family...nope!.....
    I'm below poverty level income...disabled...a senior...a good person and have until August....so????? Who is going to give ME a home?
    I'm not feeling good about the idea of living in a tent...or being homeless.
    People need to learn...to educate themselves as to our plight!!!!
    Fight for what is good..right!...
    I'm going broke looking for a rental before I lose my voucher....help !
    Kathy OConnell

12. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

13. TopTop #8
    KatyO459

Hey!!!!
    I'm a good,clean,respectful SECTION 8 tenant,,,,ask my prop mngr..
    I'm one of the good tenants...now find me a one bedrm home!
    Please!

14. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

15. TopTop #9
    Shandi

There's not much you can do to change the minds of landlords who refuse Section 8 tenants. That's a fact that you have to live with. You may need to change your goal of finding a one bedroom home, and instead try to rent a room.

Also, instead of paying for credit reports each time, it would seem that you could just present a copy of your recent credit report, as part of your rental "package". When I was looking for a rental, I had a packet of information for the prospective landlord, which included credit report, written references from past landlords/friends/employers, and personal resume which gave details about me as a person and what was important to me in a rental. I had several packets made up in advance, so I could take advantage of any current listings. I also recommend that you get a written reference from your past property manager.

Even though my credit rating has suffered, when I've been upfront about this, I've still been accepted as a tenant.
    It's very common that many people don't have good credit ratings because of life's circumstances.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by KatyO459: View Post
    Hey!!!!
    I'm a good,clean,respectful SECTION 8 tenant,,,,ask my prop mngr..
    I'm one of the good tenants...now find me a one bedrm home!
    Please!

16. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

17. TopTop #10
    KatyO459

SECTION8 housing choice vouchers help those persons wth incomes below poverty level...persons must have no felonies,not on RX maryjane, report income yearly and changes as to persons in home and adress and income status,,work?disabled? Student?
    Ive been on program longtime,,,like it,,,its the realtors,,and landowners im hurt by..who discriminate before even attempting to meet each person applying for a rental...Section8 tenants ALL get a Bad rap due to a few bad people ...some cheat the system,,lie,,,and rant, and complain .
    I myself am grateful for the program which allows persons to have a chance at housing as long as they are legit in need and trustworthy.

The problem is landlords,,,realtors are making big $$$$ off application fees and rent increases!
    Tenants need more law help to be on equal ground....
    Im looking for a new rental now and am finding no owners want me as their tenant after they realize im on the program...not caring WHY 8 need the help! dDscriminatory actions are hurtful...and have me losing out on prospective rentals....I feel like a leper!
    I've got good referances...pay rent on time,no vices,clean mature...it doesnt matter...im poor...so im an " undesirable. Tenant".....
    How do i find housing when this is the mibdset of those with what i need to aquire?
    I m trying to secure a home....i m. Asking for a chance....please. Thankyou...ko

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ladyjoni: View Post

18. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

19. TopTop #11
    podfish

...The problem is landlords,,,realtors are making big $$$$ off application fees and rent increases!....
    How do i find housing when this is the mibdset of those with what i need to aquire?
    I suggest not talking like that in front of prospective landlords.

20. Gratitude expressed by:

21. TopTop #12
    MissTrisBliss

*LEGAL LOOPHOLES*...& The Fallacy/Frustration of the Section 8 Voucher program....

I must confess, I too, am in the same boat. I do have ONE silver-lining bit of advice for you other folks like me out there, though:

*With a 'Request for Reasonable Accommodation' filled out by a certified medical professional with knowledge of your condition/s, your voucher time period can be extended up to ONE YEAR*- NOT just 30 days or 90 days!

I submitted mine on June 15th; it was already approved by June 22nd. (YAY! HUGE sigh of relief!) However, before I learned it could be extended up to one year (& they did say
    that is the "Maximum allowable extension", by the way), I was only told originally that it could be extended up to Six (6) Months (an additional 90-day extension, on top of the initial 90 days they give you) - so, I did have that time period granted to me. I do not remember the name of the form I had to fill out for that first 90-day extension, though - it may be the same form, or it may not be, you'll have to ask them.

There is another bit of legal loop-holing going on that many out there may not be aware of, though: In California, we have an additional, state law/provision regarding discrimination against 'source of income'; namely, one may not discriminate against a potential tenant due to their source of income, such as requiring that a tenant 'be employed' - allowing some *slight* protection for those with SSI/SSDI, retirement funds, self-employment, etc. - maybe even adding an extra layer of protection for seniors &/or disabled tenants (coupled with existing federal protection for age &/or disability).

One might suppose that being the case, that the same California law would offer the same *slight* protection for those with a Section 8 voucher, *however*, this is
    NOT the case - and this is why: Since Section 8 funds are paid *directly* to the landlord/property owner, rather than to the tenant, the rents/funds paid on the tenant's behalf are Not Considered 'Income', because they never pass through the tenant's hands. In layman's terms, this basically means landlords & property owners can refuse to accept Section 8 all day long, without violating the California state law regarding discrimination against source of income, since it's technically "not considered income".

Sadly, even though most websites (e.g., Craigslist) try to make these laws clear (especially to those *posting* available rentals) by offering warnings in red all-caps, along with links to the relevant federal & state housing discrimination laws, so people can look up the laws that apply to rentals in their city & state, most people tend to ignore the information offered without a second thought. I'm not aware of any rental statutes specific to our city or county.

This is what Craigslist posts for every person posting rentals to see (follow the link for more specific info): Discrimination by race/origin, age, family status ('no kids' 'ideal for one'), disability, creed, sexual orientation, or income source is illegal under fair housing law. Describe premises, not people.. (That last part about "income source" is NEW - there have historically only been SIX federally-protected categories; I don't know how recently that change in federal fair housing law was made...) The statement, "Describe premises, not people" is about the best general 'Rule of Thumb' a landlord or rental advertiser could follow to avoid violating fair housing law. Here is Craigslist's link for additional regulations in California: CA.

I've noted the lack of any of this information being presented to folks posting rentals on WaccoBB.net many times over the past *Six (6) Years* (directly & via flagging, edifying posters & moderator/s) - but even in this 'connected, conscious community', & even after all these years, it *still* hasn't been considered important enough to follow up on. Out of all the posts I see on Craigslist & WaccoBB.net, approximately 92% of all rental ads violate at least one federal &/or state anti-discrimination/fair housing law.... The sheer lack of informed citizens on this topic is astounding!

The most ironic part of the whole fair housing/anti-discrimination topic is that TECHNICALLY, *landlords can choose ANY tenant* (or NOT) for ANY reason (or NO reason), LEGALLY - and as long as they Keep their Reason/s to Themselves and never write, speak, or otherwise state them to anyone (other than tossing it around in the privacy of their own thoughts), It is Perfectly Legal, and there is NOTHING anybody can do about it one way or another. However, the Moment a landlord gives a tenant (or anyone else capable of repeating it) a Reason (IF it relates to a demographic protected by anti-discrimination law), they are taking away their 'right to choose' who lives there.

Here's an example (fictional): Suzie wants to rent out a room in her 3-bedroom house, where she also lives with her brother; they each have a room and she wants to rent out the third room. We'll say she's just a tad bigoted; she wants someone who speaks English fluently, is employed full-time, with no kids, no pets, no partner/spouse, etc., as well as wanting a female renter, for her own sense of personal safety. She hasn't actually said anything to her brother or anyone else yet about these preferences, though. She meets with a variety of different candidates over the next week, saying she'll get back to them all soon with her decision.

Finally, she chooses a single lady from Nebraska who's employed full-time, w/no pets, kids, partners, etc.; and she notifies the other applicants (a couple, a Caucasian man employed full-time, a young professional lady with a back injury & a small service dog, a mother & child, a retired female veteran, a Chinese exchange student, and a disabled woman receiving SSDI & SSI) that the room has been rented and is no longer available, and wishes them luck in their search. (She could also simply never contact the ones she decided not to rent to, which is also quite common - and although it's frustrating, it's not illegal.) At this point, Suzie is NOT considered to be in violation of anti-discrimination housing law, as she has not said a word about 'what' or 'who' SHE is 'looking' for.

However, the moment Suzie either 1) tells her brother of her preferences, 2) tells the person she chooses, 3) tells someone she didn't choose, or 4) posts an ad with those details, THEN She is IN Violation of anti-discrimination law and can legally be sued & who knows what other unpleasantness. This is true whether she says it before renting to someone, or waits until after renting to someone; before seeing applicants, or after turning them away - if at any point before or after, someone discovers her actual *reasons* for choosing whomever she chose, THEN she is opening herself up for potential trouble.

In Suzie's case, technically, she *could* legally request that the renter be female, as she herself is sharing common living spaces (especially if it's a shared bathroom) with the renter; also, in the case of 'seniors-only' housing, it is legal to have an age requirement, where it would otherwise not be legal in regular, all-ages housing. There are a few other specific types of exceptions where one can legally require certain characteristics typically considered to be discriminatory - but honestly, why go there at all?

The solution seems simple: It's obvious that one could rent to whomever one wants, as long as one never gives a reason (a discriminatory one, anyway) why they did or didn't choose a particular renter.

Craigslist even spells it out almost the same way I have, here:

Federal Fair Housing laws for roommates and shared housing have two components: advertising and decision-making.
    • Advertising: Federal Fair Housing laws prohibit discriminatory advertising in all housing, regardless of how large or small the property. However, as discussed below, advertising which expresses a preference based upon sex is allowed in shared living situations where tenants will share a bathroom, kitchen, or other common area.
    • Decision-making: Although the prohibition on discriminatory advertising applies to roommate and shared housing situations, federal Fair Housing laws do not cover the basis of decisions made by landowners who own less than four units, and live in one of the units. This means that in a situation in which a landlord owns less than four rental units, and lives in one of the units, it is legal for the owner to discriminate in the selection process based on the aforementioned categories, but it is illegal for that owner to advertise or otherwise make a statement expressing that discriminatory preference.

As far as legal changes go, I suggest using a platform such as ThePetitionSite.com (partners with Care2.com), Change.org, Neighborland.com, or similar websites in order to start one or multiple petitions aimed at CHANGING these laws & regulations that are allowing so many good, honest, hardworking people (even if they have health or other limitations) to be homeless. The seriousness of the situation, especially in our beloved Sonoma County, is extremely sobering, depressing, and dire. I heartily support & commend anyone working against this awful reality in our community.

~ People should not have to wait for years & years to finally receive 'help'... ~

~ Help US Now, so We Can Help OTHERS In Turn!!! ~

I'm giving voice to MY feelings here, but I suspect I'm not alone in feeling this way, so I'll say "We":

We don't WANT to be dependent on government assistance! We made WAY better money, were happier, fitter, & more productive (and able to fully enjoy the fun times) when we were able to truly *contribute* to society...but being stuck in a position of worrying constantly about the roof over our heads, we CAN'T focus on helping Others or on Contributing to our Community. Instead, we are the ones needing to BE helped, unable to make decent money, unhappy, unhealthy, comparatively unproductive by our previous standards, and unable to really enjoy anything Fun (because we're constantly feeling guilty about spending what little time, energy, &/or money on whatever 'fun' thing we're Trying to enjoy, & guilt just ruins the joy)...and IT SUCKS BIG-TIME.

We really are Real People. We aren't lepers, we aren't bums, our poverty isn't 'contagious', & we aren't doing anything wrong or illegal - we just want to Live & Let Live...Work, Study, Create, Play...and Love.

Thank you for reading. Be well & blessed be.

22. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

23. TopTop #13
    Jude Iam

Re: *LEGAL LOOPHOLES*...& The Fallacy/Frustration of the Section 8 Voucher program....

THANK YOU for this information.
    all this, especially the part about the advertising done HERE on this list, should be in the GENERAL COMMUNITY section, particularly given the current thread on AFFORDABLE housing.
    jude
    Last edited by Barry; 06-27-2016 at 01:46 PM.

24. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

25. TopTop #14
    Adrienne

This court victory can keep you from being evicted if you are a Section 8 Tenant. (It doesn't find housing, but it's important for those of us who have housing.) Please pass on. Contact the ACLU if you get an eviction notice and bring this information to your appointment. Adrienne

COURT PROVIDES HUGE VICTORY FOR LOW INCOME SECTION 8 TENANTS FACING EVICTION
    https://www.cesinaction.org/Announce...n8Tenants.aspx

April 12, 2012, the Appellate Division of the Superior Court of Los Angeles County ruled that Section 8 renters in the City of Los Angeles are protected by just cause eviction protections when landlords attempt to terminate their Section 8 voucher program (Housing Choice Voucher Program) contract. The court clarified that landlords may not terminate a Section 8 voucher contract in jurisdictions that have just cause eviction protections.

(continues here)
    Last edited by Barry; 06-27-2016 at 01:47 PM.

26. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

27. TopTop #15
    parlyvous

Re: *LEGAL LOOPHOLES*...& The Fallacy/Frustration of the Section 8 Voucher program....

This happened for me at the last moment also, but I received the information from the Disability Services and Legal Center on Mendocino Ave. in Santa Rosa. If you are in a tight housing spot, contact them for the next Housing Orientation Meeting and attend. You may have to sit through instructions on how to find housing that you have already attempted to do. (don't blame the DSLC people, they work hard and do the best they can with what info is given them) I stayed after the Orientation and let them know of my desperate plight (you can also access the lawyers there for housing issues). I was given the info that one can get a FULL YEAR to pursue housing. It was because of them I had my Primary Doctor and my caseworker at Community Services write letters of my health issues and abusive and criminal activity on the property I was living on. This stopped the clock on my Voucher becoming useless and gave me an additional 4 months. (not quite a year, short one month. IF I find a place I won't complain, though I will fight for that additional month if need be). You have to be VOCAL and seek out every avenue/agency that might be able to help you. Fair Housing does their best also, but landlords can work around the 'Fair' housing rules. You can get the 'feeling' you were turned down for a rental, but as said, if the landlord does not specifically state a preference, there is not much you can do and even then, can most of us take someone to court to do battle with them, when one is facing homelessness, dealing with health issues etc? If you are looking at the time running out on your Voucher do all you can to get it extended. Send letters, call S.W. at HUD who does the Housing Voucher Orientation and explain your plight. Use Doctors, Community Service workers, Social Workers, whomever you have access to. I wish you all heartfelt good luck in locating a place to live. It is a frightening situation to find yourself in. Again, use all resources available.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-28-2016 at 11:33 AM.

28. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

29. TopTop #16
    Adrienne

"You have to be VOCAL and seek out every avenue/agency that might be able to help you." This is so very true. Thank you parlyvous for the clarity and many suggestions.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by parlyvous: View Post
    This happened for me at the last moment also, but ...
    Last edited by Barry; 06-28-2016 at 11:34 AM.

30. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

31. TopTop #17
    wisewomn

The squeaking wheel gets the grease!

32. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

33. TopTop #18
    parlyvous

I definitely agree. Get a written reference from your present (or your last, if you've been already booted out) landlord. I had the whole gamut of credit references, character references, bank statements, Social Security verification of income and had a place all lined up for moving in (wow was I one happy camper, thinking life had finally given me a break!) and my landlady, for 3 days did not respond to the calls from the realtor. I'd left messages and had other tenants contact her to no avail and so my 'new home' was handed over to another person. So please, don't let a piece of paper, or lack of one keep you from getting a place. Have all your ducks in a row. Good luck to us all!
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    There's not much you can do to change the minds of landlords who refuse Section 8 tenants. That's a fact that you have to live with. You may need to change your goal of finding a one bedroom home, and instead try to rent a room. Also, instead of paying for credit reports each time, it would seem that you could just present a copy of your recent credit report, as part of your rental "package".....
    Last edited by Barry; 07-14-2016 at 09:57 AM.

34. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

35. TopTop #19
    parlyvous

I doubt she "talks like that" when dealing with landlords or realtors. We voucher holders approach with hat in hand (and fear in our hearts as we see the time ticking away on our Vouchers) resumes and credit reports and an earnest wish to be chosen, so we can prove what a respectful, thankful tenant we can ( and have in the past been) be. I believe we all are just worn ragged with the multiple fees and horrific rents we face each day in our desperate quest for a roof over our heads.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    I suggest not talking like that in front of prospective landlords.

36. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

37. TopTop #20
    KatyO459

I'm NOT GIVING UP!!!!!
    Last edited by Barry; 07-14-2016 at 09:58 AM.

38. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

39. TopTop #21
    KatyO459

I'm a supporter and client of the Section8 voucher program.
    I'm disabled...and running out of time/money!
    I'm alone in this doing all by myself..

So im losing the battle as I cannot be in two or 5 places at the same day....or afford to be

As for all those NOT in my situation...
    I only hope you've learned something through my strife.

Wish me well as I will be homeless as of August 1...
    As a neighbor told me
    You will be homeless...have to giveup your pets and go to the Mission shelter in Santa Rosa....he knows I've lost the batt!e.

40. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

41. TopTop #22
    Adrienne

I hope that this does not come to be true. I'm rooting for you.
    There can be a waiting list at Sam Jones Shelter in S.R. Most prefer it to the Gospel Mission.
    Call Catholic Charities and find out what the situation is. They may not be willing to put you on the waiting list until you are sleeping in your car. All these services are over-loaded and under-funded. 525-0226

I know, another call to make....

I wish you well. Adrienne

I'm alone in this doing all by myself..

So im losing the battle as I cannot be in two or 5 places at the same day....or afford to be....
    Last edited by Barry; 07-15-2016 at 09:56 AM.

42. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

43. TopTop #23
    Jude Iam

i haven't followed every bit of this thread, so don't know everything relevant (though i have been through the harrowing housing crunch myself recently),
    but we 13,000+ subscribers of this list have a precious opportunity to do good, right here, for katy.

katy, please offer (again?) a few lines of description of yourself and your pets,
    and what you are seeking and what you are offering by way of rent and other.

when one of our family is 'going down' it is incumbent upon us all to reach out and help.
    let's see what we can come up with. ok? especially
    those of us blessed with land and rentals - your spiritual work is RIGHT HERE AND NOW.

blessings, jude
    I'm alone in this doing all by myself.....
    Last edited by Barry; 07-15-2016 at 09:57 AM.

44. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

45. TopTop #24
    KatyO459

I'm losing my Section8 vouchered home at 7610 Lynch Road...I've been here 11 years. First owner lost it by mortgage auction to KB Properties. Then they put it under Adam Goldberg( good guy) as property mngr of Gravenstein Ventures,,,,,that's who I've paid all rent to.
    So May 1 I was served a 90 Day Notice,,...
    Mind you I am the ONLY disable percent my mentally/physically ,,and Section8 voucher holder on this property of 6 homes.
    Everyone works but moi...
    I have been served ...gone to Legal Aide ...they took one look..at my paperwork...and stated they could not help me...I he er even got to talk to anyone!!!....Then I called 5+ different eviction,,,rental,,,probono
    Attornies...who all told me they couldn't help me due to Conflict Of Interest knowing one or more of the parties own I g said properties.

Next,,,I talked to my Housing worker and went to a Now that you've been served notice meeting...good info...
    I also have had a talk as regarding the effect of this action on my mental/physical health.
    I was issued a reasonable Accommodation. ,,I gave it to my housing advocate....WRONG...somehow the prop mngr now knows...?????
    I need to give the RA paper to DLS attorney now..another day of paratransit scheduling and travel to SR.
    I'm also putting application for Burbank Housing properties out...and rental sites ha e cost me my savings in pre app fees!!!!
    So here I am nearing the end of my 90 days without a pot to piss in or window to through it out of,,,as my parents would say,,,,,
    I'm getting scared,,,stress has me sick...and I'm tired so much lately...
    I'm not asking for anything from anyone ,,,as I've heard from a neighbor...that this whole situation is my fault?????
    I m gonna ignore that.
    I am going to keep trying to find a home...
    But to give up ALL I own to start over at my age is hard ...I'm 57 for creeps sake !!!!....and have mental/physical health conditions...where am I to keep my Medications...who?le I'm homeless?...or what do I do when I wake up in middle of notes with PTSD complications.,,,or when I gotta pee?...huh?

OK,,I'm on lists to wait for places,,,I'm applying daily.
    Oh I do not own a vehicle!!!!!...gave it up to afford rent/food/pets.
    I also didn't use cableTV...or go out much or waste it...my money was to survive and most to pay my rent.
    Now its just business to My prop owners...that's normal...not their fault.
    Some neighbors say its mine for not doing better in my life...ok.
    So I'm applying tmrow to COTS //The Mary Isaac Center ,,
    ,,,,then to Other Burbank Properties...each one has to have a long paged PREAPP filled out...ok. I will do that.
    Also I'm on the PPS SHARE program...I completed and mailed the application ...haven't heard a word from them either...all apps sent from my home mailbox were never received at the mailing locations I mailed them out to...ok.
    Soooo.that's it in a nutshell
    Myself and my dog...Dorylynn,,,are homeless as of August 1,,,and I may give her away to a great home if I can find the BEST owner for her.
    As all people want me to ONLY have a Can one Companions bred dog as my assistant e dog....not my 1st choice.......but who gives a hoot what I feel,or think..right...I'm the problem.
    I have no regrets about my living at 7610 Lynch road...I did my heaL
    Ng after domestic violence assault after a shelter her...I've done well...even was able to give up cigarettes ,,,don't drink,..smoke,,or do any drugs.
    I'm active in my community...put up a lil blue lending library,,,,and Ben h for Seniors ...was a Sebastopol Grange member,,,I ran the kitchen each year during their CRAFT fair.,,,
    I'm going to do what I am humanly capable of doing with a below poverty level I come...good mind/heart/and no vehicle,
    So that's me in a nutshell....all I need is a 1 bedroom place for me and my dog up to 1100 month...I can go higher out of my own pocket,....maybe 1200. I'm on Section8...no criminal record as I was a licensed Security Officer,,,at one time. Kathy (Johnson) OConnell....707 867 5688.....enjoy your day...remember me with a kind blessing please
    Last edited by Barry; 07-15-2016 at 09:57 AM.

46. TopTop #25
    KatyO459

All Kathy needs is a 1 bedroom place for her and her dog Dorylynn ...anywhere...I can move anywhere....
    I've got a Section8 housing choice voucher,,,and 11 year at my current rental...good references ...and .am clean...sober..don't smoke.
    I can pay up To $1100.00 ,,,,I can pay a bit more out of my share too..I need space for my Dog to run...she is Basenjii/Shepard cross...not huge..
    Call my prop mngr as a reference...Adam 707 321 2111 tell him its about Kathy @ 7610 Lynch Road Sebastopol...get his opinion of me.
    He states no one has called for a reference on me yet ...

I'm just gonna apply with COTS and other shelters now so I won't be out in cold.
    Thank you all...GodBless....Kathy OConnell
    7610 Lynch Road
    Sebastopol,CA 95472
    707 867 5688

Remember...my property owner/mngr Adam is a good guy by me..its just business not personal.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Jude Iam: View Post
    i...but we 13,000+ subscribers of this list have a precious opportunity to do good, right here, for katy.....
    Last edited by Barry; 07-15-2016 at 09:58 AM.

47. TopTop #26
    Adrienne

Kathy, I think the owner has to have "just cause" to evict a section 8 tenant.
    I posted about this earlier in this thread. Please look it up and, if you haven't already talked to them about it, take this with you to DSL. My heart goes out to you.
    Adrienne
    I'm losing my Section8 vouchered home at 7610 Lynch Road......
    Last edited by Barry; 07-15-2016 at 10:03 AM.

48. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

49. TopTop #27
    parlyvous

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    There's not much you can do to change the minds of landlords who refuse Section 8 tenants. ...
    I agree. I know money can be tight for those of us searching, but you need to have bank statements, character references, rental references, income verification (if that applies to you) paperwork. I went and bought folders to keep multiple copies of each form so they would be 'at the ready' if someone requested them. Wal Mart and many times Office Max has folders for a cheap price. I don't have a printer of my own, but have found if you are getting a reply from a land lord or owner via email and they attach an application, that local copy businesses will gladly let you email them the letter and open and copy the application out for you and then fax it, after you fill the application out. Then tuck that finished and faxed application in a folder for future reference. I've been lugging a bag from place to place during my searches. Even if I'm out and about doing something other than searching for housing, that bag of forms and much needed references goes with me EVERYWHERE in case an opportunity pops up.

I also keep a notebook about every call I get regarding property, or times I've gone into the HUD office and who I've talked to. I date the top of the page, and I can quickly flip through the notebook, find the date and be able to refer to it. The plus to doing this, is when you are meeting with a landlord/manager/social worker/HUD worker you present yourself as organized and business-like. (Trust me, I had to teach myself to do this, even with a business background, as searching for housing one can get frazzled and be going in several directions at once.) I have a lawyer on my particular case, so it is VITAL that my notes and paperwork are in order. Just thought others might be able to avail themselves of my tips (and as-I-go learning experience) to make the process easier.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-25-2016 at 12:04 PM.

50. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

51. TopTop #28
    parlyvous

Re: *LEGAL LOOPHOLES*PORTABILITY The Fallacy/Frustration ofthe Section 8 Voucher program.

Regarding those multiple paged "Affordable Housing Lists" one is handed at either the original Orientation Meeting when you first get your Voucher, or given by Social workers/HUD workers/DSLC office: CALL each and everyone listed (paying attention to make sure the age limits are applicable to you). You may think: "Gad, I don't want to live in Cloverdale!" (no offense). Remember Cloverdale or wherever is more attractive than the alternative: Homelessness. You can settle in with a roof over your head and work towards finding a more preferable place in the future, because you will now have your Voucher locked in. ALL on that list are happy to send you an application by mail if you prefer. (many include a mailing envelope to offset costs also.) Start calling as soon as you have that list in hand. A year's time will fly by, believe you me!! Most have waiting lists that are OPEN. REMEMBER and don't despair due to the many listings...Some folks are contacted and refuse a unit because of where it is located, some already housed at the property have decided to move for one reason or another and fact of life: people die and leave a unit open.

Please also note some of the Affordable Housing is in Santa Rosa CITY while others are considered COUNTY. Check if you are not sure if your Voucher is a COUNTY Voucher or a CITY Voucher. You may when looking, find a place in Santa Rosa, but be holding a COUNTY Voucher or vice versa. You can PORT (move) your Voucher to an area where you found a place. If holding a COUNTY Voucher go to 1440 Guerneville, Santa Rosa/cross street Range) and request a form or PORTABILITY PACKET. Fill it out right there on the spot and turn it in. Make a note of who took the form and the time it was handed over. Same goes for CITY Vouchers (90 Santa Rosa Ave/cross street 1st street)

Please note: every alternate Friday the City office is closed. HUD comes in daily to pick up the Portability Forms. They are required to move them through the system as quickly as possible and deliver them to the Housing Authority in the area you are wanting to move to. Give the office you turned in your Port form to previously, a call and have them check to see it was picked up. Then you can begin to work with the Housing Authority Office you have Ported TO. You are NOT stuck in the area your Voucher was initially issued to you from. You do have choices. Many blessings of a positive outcome in your housing searches.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-25-2016 at 12:05 PM.

52. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

53. TopTop #29
    parlyvous

Kathy 0459. You do NOT have to pay a fee to turn in a pre-application. Fees start when the actual Application process starts. I know at the Orientation at HUD they tell you NOT to tell the landlord/manager you are Section 8. Most times this action does not change their minds and you are turned away anyway. Best to call and ask outright if they accept Section 8 Voucher holders, saves you money and both of you wasting time of filling out a pre-app that gets you nothing. Also ask if they are Burbank Housing. Burbank Housing bases your rent on your income also. If one has a vehicle, the cost of driving around and around in gas alone is ridiculous. Same for public transportation. HOURS on the road. As I've mentioned before to all, use that 'Affordable Housing List' you were handed and call each and every one of them and they will mail you pre-application forms at their expense. Perhaps you are aware of all this, I had just noticed on one post of yours you stated you were paying fees and THEN were told they did not accept Section 8 Voucher holders. Ask before filling out an application. Every penny counts for sure!!

54. TopTop #30
    Adrienne

Re: *LEGAL LOOPHOLES*PORTABILITY The Fallacy/Frustration ofthe Section 8 Voucher program.

It used to be that you couldn't "port" your voucher until you'd lived in one place for at least a year. Has that changed? If so, it would be good news. Adrienne

Quote Posted in reply to the post by parlyvous: View Post
    ... You can PORT (move) your Voucher to an area where you found a place.....
    Last edited by Barry; 07-25-2016 at 12:06 PM.