Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shepherd

Efren Carrillo Update

Efren is probably out, in my opinion, from reading the powerful North Bay Labor Council's request that he resign, signed by its ED Lisa Maldonado, a leading Latino activist and from today's PD article. The remaining Supervisors made fairly strong statements on Tuesday, not supporting Efren continuing. This is good for those of us struggling against pesticides, since he did not respond to our many attempts to meet with him over weeks. Another activist at the Sups meeting pointed out that the 5th District is without representation at this time, so this matter will hopefully be resolved soon.

Gov. Jerry Brown would then appoint a care-taking replacement to finish out his term in 2016. It would be likely to be a former 5th District Sup, like Ernie Carpenter or Mike Reilly. Either would be better for us than Efren. That person would probably not run in the next election. Likely and good candidates to run would be Craig Litwin and/or Lawrence Jaffe. Have you heard rumors of anyone else?

If Efren does not resign, he would probably be recalled. Then there would apparently be a special election, with many candidates. I would welcome your assessments of what you think is likely to happen in what may be a rapidly changing situation.
    Shepherd
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 10 members:

3. TopTop #2
    JeanM

Re: Efren Carrillo Update

Rue Furch. Not Mike Reilly.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    .Gov. Jerryg. It would be likely to be a former 5th District Sup, like Ernie Carpenter or Mike Reilly. Either would be better for us than Efren.
    Last edited by Barry; 08-02-2013 at 09:30 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

I nominate Shepherd Bliss for our next supervisor, unless it would take time away from his brilliant and masterful analysis of the Hobbs rape of the land.....
    Last edited by Barry; 08-02-2013 at 09:33 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

7. TopTop #4
    LibertyLady

Is there an official recall effort underway on Efren Carillo?

8. TopTop #5
    Karen

From what I've read, no. They are waiting to see if he is charged with a felony or guilty of one to just fire him, as far as I can understand. However the local labor unions are gunning for him aggressively with highly publicized calls for his resignation. We need a good investigative reporter.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by LibertyLady: View Post
    Is there an official recall effort underway on Efren Carillo?

9. TopTop #6
    Valley Oak

Is the Press Democrat not doing its job? I wouldn't be terribly surprised if that's the case. Who could be this investigative reporter? From where would this person come?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Karen: View Post
    From what I've read, no. They are waiting to see if he is charged with a felony or guilty of one to just fire him, as far as I can understand. However the local labor unions are gunning for him aggressively with highly publicized calls for his resignation. We need a good investigative reporter.

10. TopTop #7
    Karen

Correction
    The latest from the PD, says a friend, is this: Alice Chan of the Democratic Party of Sonoma County told the S.C. Board of Supes that Carrillo has until September 15 to resign, as has the North Bay Labor Council (which includes 60,000 members!!!), or else, her group which she has formed will begin the process of formally recalling him.

11. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

12. TopTop #8
    LibertyLady

I would prefer a process where the voters decide -- keep him or not. If not, we decide the replacement, and not the governor, or unions, or party machine. In looking at the rules, it looks like it requires a recall petition that is signed by a certain percentage of registered voters in the district - I thought I read somewhere that in our district it would be 20%. I am happy to do some research (several lives ago I was a reporter / editor for a small local paper!) but would prefer to piggyback on others' knowledge. Thanks!

13. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

14. TopTop #9
    Shepherd

Thanks, LibertyLady, for this post, which makes sense. I would welcome the research you mention and receiving a report on it.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by LibertyLady: View Post
    I would prefer a process where the voters decide -- keep him or not. If not, we decide the replacement, and not the governor, or unions, or party machine. In looking at the rules, it looks like it requires a recall petition that is signed by a certain percentage of registered voters in the district - I thought I read somewhere that in our district it would be 20%. I am happy to do some research (several lives ago I was a reporter / editor for a small local paper!) but would prefer to piggyback on others' knowledge. Thanks!

15. Gratitude expressed by:

16. TopTop #10
    Valley Oak

Is September 15 an ultimatum date or is it based on existing statute (laws on political misconduct, etc) or some other reason?

Correction
    The latest from the PD, says a friend, is this: Alice Chan of the Democratic Party of Sonoma County told the S.C. Board of Supes that Carrillo has until September 15 to resign, as has the North Bay Labor Council (which includes 60,000 members!!!), or else, her group which she has formed will begin the process of formally recalling him.

17. Gratitude expressed by:

18. TopTop #11
    LibertyLady

I had a fruitful discussion this afternoon with Gloria Colter, assistant registrar of voters for Sonoma County. There is also some helpful information on the state web site.

Clearly, it would require a LOT of work from the registered voters in District 5 for a recall effort to be successful. Here are the requirements:

1. Twenty registered voters from District 5 would complete a Notice of Intent to Recall, and submit it to Efren. Within 7 days of the submittal, we would also have to file a copy with Registrar of Voters. A legal notice has to be provided in the newspaper as well. Efren would have 7 days to provide an answer to the notice.

2. The county would review the Notice of Intent, and would have 10 days to determine whether it is in order. If not, the process can go back and forth, with the petitioners and the county each having 10 days to respond to the other.

3. Once the Notice of Intent is found to be in order, we would have 120 days to circulate. The number of required signatures from registered voters in District 5 would be about 10,000, or 20% of the roughly 50,000 registered voters in the district. That is a tall order, since only about 22,000 registered voters voted in the June 2012 primary election, when Efren won with 13,152 votes, or 58.4% of the total.

4. After the signatures are collected and validated as correct by the county, an election can be called. At this point, anyone wanting to run on the ballot for supervisor would need to go through the nomination process to be included on the ballot.

Assuming that it would make economic sense to combine the recall election with a regularly scheduled election, the two possibilities in 2014 would be June and November. If we started soon, the June election could be a real possibility.

What are my recommendations?

1. I would like to see a group pursue a Notice of Intent to Recall. I am happy to be part of that group. We need 20 registered voters from District 5.

2. If you are not a registered voter, you can register online at the county's web site, and then take part in this process.

3. By filing a Notice of Intent, we can generate some press coverage and determine whether there is enough support to get us to the recall election.

If the party machine and the unions force Efren to resign, then the Governor will decide his replacement. That would leave the voters out of the loop, as it surely would be a completely political decision.

As a final note, there is nothing magical or legal about the September 15 date. That does seem to be the date that Efren has been given by his "powers that be" to make a decision about resignation.

Hope this helps.

19. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

20. TopTop #12
    Shepherd

There are many potential candidates who would be much better than myself as a supervisor, including each of the following, whose names have been suggested: Ernie Carpenter, Lawrence Jaffe, Sarah Gurney, and Craig Litwin. I would not be good as an elected official and do not plan to run for office. I am too emotional and introverted for such a role. I feel more comfortable writing about such matters.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sara S: View Post
    I nominate Shepherd Bliss for our next supervisor, unless it would take time away from his brilliant and masterful analysis of the Hobbs rape of the land.....

21. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

22. TopTop #13
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    There are many potential candidates who would be much better than myself as a supervisor, including each of the following, whose names have been suggested: Ernie Carpenter, Lawrence Jaffe, Sarah Gurney, and Craig Litwin.
    And Rue Furch!

23. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

24. TopTop #14
    Glia

Two weeks ago I too made the journey to the County Elections Dept. office and spoke with the staff there (did not catch the lady's name, but she did appear to be in charge there). She referred me to the California state Government Code section 25060 to 25062:
    https://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/d...le=25060-25062

There is a hard deadline to be considered here: if Carrillo resigns, the timing of his resignation determines when an election will be held to vote on his successor:

If the resignation is effective before 27 Dec. 2013, then a replacement will be voted on in the June 2014 primary election.

If the resignation is effective on or after 27 Dec. 2013, then a replacement will be voted on in the November 2014 general election.

In either case, if Carrillo resigns or is removed due to inability to fulfill his duties, the governor appoints someone to fill the vacancy until the next regular election or for the remainder of the term.

The idea of Jerry Brown Part Deux appointing one of my county supervisors sends a chill down my spine!! If we want to make our own decisions instead giving that power to someone who does not have our best interest at heart, a recall action is the way to go.

Recall or no, it certainly looks like there will be an early election for 5th District Supervisor. Now is the time to be getting a PAC organized and start vetting candidates.

25. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

26. TopTop #15
    sebastacat

I must add my thoughts to this.

Sebastacat feels that if, in fact, Efren does decide to resign (which I sincerely have my doubts that he will),
    and Governor Jerry Brown does get the opportunity to appoint someone to replace him, it will be absolutely
    imperative that all concerned fifth-district residents write/e-mail/communicate their choices to him about who
    the interim replacement should be.

And when a replacement is appointed, who will hopefully be someone who will have had the widespread support of the citizens of the fifth district, I feel that we should let things settle down a bit and give any serious potential candidates some much-needed time to reflect and consider running for this very important post.

After this entire bizarre episode which has scarred the fifth district -- hopefully, not irreparably -- I truly feel that a
    "cooling off" period is needed for some wounds to heal before we embark on the task of choosing a full-time successor for the next full four-year term.

Just a thought.
    Last edited by sebastacat; 08-06-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: addition at the end of the last line

27. Gratitude expressed by:

28. TopTop #16
    Alysson Wonderland

I am the "Alice Chan" referred to in this comment, and there are a couple of inaccuracies that should be corrected:
    1. I am not a member of the Democratic Party of Sonoma County
    2. I have not made any statement at all to the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors
    3. I have not formed any group.
    I am a co-chair of the Coalition for Grassroots Progress www.grassrootsprogress.org and I did tell a reporter for the Press Democrat, in my capacity as co-chair, that CGP has said if Carrillo has not resigned by September 15, we will begin the process of launching a petition drive for a recall.

Correction

29. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

30. TopTop #17
    Shepherd

I appreciate Alice's response below. I was surprised to read the previous email referring to her, and am glad that Alice has corrected it. Alice has a long history or working with progressive groups in Sonoma County. I am glad to hear that she and the Coalition for Grassroots Progress plans to launch a petition drive for a recall if Efren does not resign by Sept. 15. I think it imperative that he resign or be recalled as soon as possible, so the 5th District has a representative.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Alysson Wonderland: View Post
    I am the "Alice Chan" referred to in this comment, and there are a couple of inaccuracies that should be corrected:

31. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

32. TopTop #18
    Ted Pole

This may seem a bit obvious, but if Mr. Carillo does not resign, and quickly, it shows that he is blatantly more concerned with his own career than in serving the people who elected him. And thus, there would be the need to recall and replace him.

He has already deprived his constituents of effective, undistracted representation, and I have little doubt that he will be filing Workman's Comp forms to cover the costs of his treatment, costing the county even more. He IS getting treatment, right?

33. Gratitude expressed by:

34. TopTop #19
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

OK, Henry Bernard, come on back. This shows what bullshit "Karen" feels free to post as truth....

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Alysson Wonderland: View Post

35. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

36. TopTop #20
    Karen

maybe you've missed something but earlier in the thread it was shown that if he resigns then his replacement will be appointed by Brown. If he is recalled then the public will elect someone else in the next election. Until then, the gov would appoint someone to replace him. If the people want to vote the supervisor in themselves then it must be a recall, according to what I've read here. Did I get that right?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ted Pole: View Post
    This may seem a bit obvious, but if Mr. Carillo does not resign, and quickly, it shows that he is blatantly more concerned with his own career than in serving the people who elected him. And thus, there would be the need to recall and replace him.

He has already deprived his constituents of effective, undistracted representation, and I have little doubt that he will be filing Workman's Comp forms to cover the costs of his treatment, costing the county even more. He IS getting treatment, right?

37. Gratitude expressed by:

38. TopTop #21
    Ted Pole

No, Karen, I didn't miss anything, as far as I can tell. My comment was based on the idea that whatever the process used to get a functioning bureaucrat in there to replace Carillo, the sooner the better. And that there should be no doubt that Carillo must go, and the fact that he is taking over a month and a half to determine what is obvious to everyone else in the county, just goes to show how diminished his faculties are.

39. Gratitude expressed by:

40. TopTop #22
    Karen

My apologies for not having my facts straight.

OK, Henry Bernard, come on back. This shows what bullshit "Karen" feels free to post as truth....

41. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

42. TopTop #23
    sebastacat

Sorry, folks. But Sebastacat supplied Karen with some of the wrong information after reading the following
    article in the Press Democrat:

"The potential need for a recall of Efren Carrillo became even more evident today with the failure of most
    members of the Board of Supervisors to say what needs to be said: Carrillo should resign, said
    Alice Chan, a Sebastopol resident and Democratic Party activist.

"A local group she helps lead, The Coalition for Grassroots Progress, has called on the supervisor
    to resign by September 15 or face a recall election."

I apologize to Alice and Karen for any inconvenience that this may have caused -
    and hope to now be regarded as a good kitty, not a bad!

43. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

44. TopTop #24
    Glia

If a recall action gets enough valid signatures to force a recall election, the replacement for the recalled office-holder will be chosen by the electorate as part of that election. part of the recall process is to nominate replacement candidates to be on the ballot in the recall election.

A recall ballot asks two questions:
    1. should the incumbent (Carrrillo in this case) be removed from office? yes or no
    2. which of these candidates do you vote for to replace the incumbent?

Again, the only way for the electorate to be 100% in the driver's seat with this situation is to have a successful recall action triggering a recall election. If the incumbent resigns or is removed, we have to deal with one of Jerry Brown's goons on the Board of Supervisors until the next regularly scheduled election. Yeeechhh!!!!

maybe you've missed something but earlier in the thread it was shown that if he resigns then his replacement will be appointed by Brown. If he is recalled then the public will elect someone else in the next election. Until then, the gov would appoint someone to replace him. If the people want to vote the supervisor in themselves then it must be a recall, according to what I've read here. Did I get that right?

45. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

46. TopTop #25
    Valley Oak

I'm a little torn between the two possibilities:

1. Get Carrillo out ASAP, no matter who replaces him and how.

2. Wait until a successful recall election so the people can elect their representative instead of getting an appointee.

If I had to choose between a mystery person being appointed and Carrillo finishing out the remaining 3 years of the supervisorial term, I'd rather have the mystery person become the new Sup.

Although I dislike the idea of having some stranger being appointed supervisor, I dislike even more that a recall effort unintentionally serves as an opportunity for Carrillo completing the term's full 4 years in office.

What happens if the recall effort becomes an impossible uphill battle? Too expensive? Too few volunteers? An organizational failure? Carrillo gets to laugh his way to the finish line of the full term; 3 more years! And that I do not want to see. In that scenario, I would much rather have an appointee.

Edward

47. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

48. TopTop #26
    Karen

With all due respect, I still assert that the board did say something about firing Carrillo. Please listen to the supervisors' statements here: https://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...0739993#page=4

I have transcribed this much from Gorin's comment.
    "The conversations that I've engaged in and listened to the last couple of weeks caused me to research the county's civil service rules on dismissal and number three, conduct which brings discredit to the county,
    number four, disorderly conduct and I know that there have been county employees dismissed for these kind of infractions. As I said before, I hold elected officials to an even higher standard than that... " but i guess she can't fire an elected official. I was confused.

49. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

50. TopTop #27
    sebastacat

Edward:

Excellent observations, and well-stated, too.

To which I will add one thing: I feel that if Efren refuses to resign and forces us to resort to a recall election
    to remove him from office that it will be a battle royal which will wind up hurting people of the fifth district for many years to come.

Admit it or not, it will force all of us to "chose sides." And, to play on something that Henry stated so well in a previous post: Battles lines will be drawn. And platforms will be erected.

Sebastacat would like to ask ALL participants on this forum, even his perennial detractors: Is that what you want to see happen?

While I certainly want to have some say in who my next elected representative will be -- since I care, and care deeply, about the west county -- I feel that Efren should do the honorable thing and resign forthwith.

It will accomplish two things:

1. It will allow the process to begin whereby someone may be appointed to replace him, hopefully, with our input to the governor;

2. It will allow us to put this sad chapter in Sonoma County politics behind us, let wounds start to heal, and move forward.

If a recall election happens, yes, I will take sides, but I fear what effect the outcome will have on us all.

As the saying goes: "At what price glory?"

51. Gratitude expressed by:

52. TopTop #28
    David MySky

Just curious, but what was public perception of Carrillo's performance prior to the San Diego incident last year?

(Posing this question neither is a endorsement nor a censure of his service.)

53. Gratitude expressed by:

54. TopTop #29
    sebastacat

Please understand that this is my opinion only.

Sebastacat will now answer the question as follows:

Mr. Smoke and Mirrors, zealously guarding the hands that feed him, making speeches full of
    sound and fury -- signifying nothing.

55. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

56. TopTop #30
    jbox

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    And Rue Furch!
    Tom Lynch, the original and inimitable Manure Man, is also quite a credible candidate. He also posesses a dandy sense of humor, which I find missing in most political candidates.

57. Gratitude expressed by: