Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Glia

County DHS Kicks Off "Healthy Teeth for Healthy Life" program

https://www.sonoma-county.org/health...althyteeth.asp

Date: July 24, 2013
    Administration Division, Sonoma County Department of Health Services
    (707) 565-4837
    [email protected]
    Campaign Aims to Improve Dental Health Through Education and Access

Santa Rosa, CA – This week, the Sonoma County Department of Health Services formally kicks-off "Healthy Teeth for Healthy Life." The campaign aims to help improve dental health through education about dental disease, tips you can use to improve dental health, and increased information on access to dental care services.

"Dental disease is widespread at all ages throughout Sonoma County," stated Dr. Lynn Silver Chalfin, Sonoma County Health Officer. "This campaign is critical, as dental disease and the cavities it causes are often painful and expensive to treat – but almost all problems can be prevented. We want to empower the community with the information they need to protect themselves and their families."

For adults, untreated dental disease or tooth decay can lead to loss of work and serious health problems, including heart disease and diabetes. In children, tooth decay can affect a child’s ability to learn or attend school and is the most common health problem for our children today. An estimated 5 out of 10 Sonoma County children suffer from dental decay.

"As a school nurse, I see firsthand the epidemic of dental disease," Sherri Creekmore, RN, Roseland School District. "Children cannot concentrate on academics when they have tooth pain and I have seen kids act out when their teeth problems become serious and noticeable to other students. Dental decay is a real problem and the more awareness and preventative steps we can help parents with the better."

The Healthy Teeth for Healthy Life campaign will include online information and targeted outreach with materials, presentations, and other information to select schools, community health care centers, dentists, childcare providers, and other organizations and facilities.

"Proper dental health is so critical to our overall health that I am glad the County is launching this campaign," stated Dr. Anthony Fernandez, a private practice dentist. "I am amazed at how much providing simple tips like avoiding sugary drinks, or letting parents know they should bring their child to the dentist by no later than the age of one, is helpful to my patients."

"Many adults and seniors are unnecessarily losing their teeth to dental disease for lack of dental care access and more than a dozen children each day in Sonoma County are undergoing risky, costly treatment under general anesthesia to repair severely damaged teeth," stated Dr. Susan Cooper, DDS, Director of Dental Health for Community Action Partnership. "Young and old, tooth decay and dental disease are treatable and preventable. I hope this campaign will empower everyone to improve their dental health and the dental health of their families."

For more information on the Healthy Teeth for Healthy Life campaign or to suggest a community group, school, or other organization that would benefit by receiving a short presentation on dental health, please contact the County at [email protected].
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    gardenmaniac

Re: County DHS Kicks Off "Healthy Teeth for Healthy Life" program

hmm ... I am surprised by the absence of the fluoride question ... did I miss something?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Glia: View Post
    https://www.sonoma-county.org/health...althyteeth.asp

Campaign Aims to Improve Dental Health Through Education and Access
    Last edited by Barry; 07-27-2013 at 02:29 PM.

4. TopTop #3
    dzerach

Re: County DHS Kicks Off "Healthy Teeth for Healthy Life" program

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gardenmaniac: View Post
    hmm ... I am surprised by the absence of the fluoride question ... did I miss something?
    EcoGirl sent a second link so that we could read all of the fun. Looks like they did shift around the content. They may have moved the most fallacious statements into the "FAQ" section. hehe.

https://www.sonoma-county.org/health...lhealthfaq.asp

https://www.sonoma-county.org/health...ntalhealth.asp

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: