Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Dr Pam

Help me respectfully transform a redwood stump

I own a nice flat 1/2 acre lot in Guerneville. I hope to build sustainably on it in the near future to live out my life in bliss and community activism, looking back in satisfaction over the toil and turmoil it took to get to that place. Here's a picture of my little piece of the world.
    Name:  Small pamV.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  46.7 KB

I've heard some people on WaccoBB speak ill of the wine grape growers in Sonoma County, and I know I'll be dealing with agricultural pollution, but I think it will be nice at least 300 days a year to look out my window and see the Korbel vineyard next door.

Anyway, to the left and behind where the picture-taker was standing, there is a large blackberry bramble on the easement. Part of the blackberries had to come down to pave a driveway so I need not drive over my neighbor's lawn to reach my land. Sean, my landscaper, attacked the blackberries a few days ago, and discovered a five foot high by six foot in diameter redwood stump underneath them! I would have been delighted had it been anywhere but exactly on the only spot where the driveway has to go. I live in Stockton, but I asked Sean to take a picture. I'll post it here when I have it.

Any ideas about what to do with this stump? Anyone have a noble use for some heart redwood? I wish I could build a hot tub out of it!

I've already got a guy to take it out. The question was how to take it out to keep the wood useful? The most important issue is what is the most creative/conscientious thing to do with the wood? Good grief, it's at least 100 cubic feet of old growth redwood that probably once stood in Armstrong Woods! The lot is less than two miles from the entrance to Armstrong Woods Park. I can't just take it to the dump. Sacrilege! Someone might like to sculpt with it...or... something...

Dr Pam
    Last edited by Dr Pam; 07-09-2013 at 07:10 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Drlunch

Re: Help me respectfully transform a redwood stump

Hi and welcome, I a lifelong landscaper artist and burner, would ask you how big is the stump. Could you make stepping stones out of it if.bb it is small or.bb if its big table tops chairs or boards. Whatever you do I would keep.it o. Your land where Creater placed it. I have arborist friends with rwallu big saws to cut artistix pieces. Hope I helped

3. TopTop #3
    Bryan

Call Berry's Sawmill right down the road near Cazadero. They can get your wood milled and you can build something with it on the property. (707) 865-2365 - If you need someone to cut it down and bring to the mill, they can give you some numbers of local lumberjacks...

And its 141 cubic feet if its 6 feet across by 5 feet high.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dr Pam: View Post
    Any ideas about what to do with this stump? Anyone have a noble use for some heart redwood? I wish I could build a hot tub out of it!

I've already got a guy to take it out. The question was how to take it out to keep the wood useful? The most important issue is what is the most creative/conscientious thing to do with the wood? Good grief, it's at least 100 cubic feet of old growth redwood that probably once stood in Armstrong Woods! The lot is less than two miles from the entrance to Armstrong Woods Park. I can't just take it to the dump. Sacrilege! Someone might like to sculpt with it...or... something...
    Last edited by Barry; 07-11-2013 at 02:10 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #4
    Dr Pam

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Bryan: View Post
    Call Berry's Sawmill right down the road near Cazadero. They can get your wood milled and you can build something with it on the property. (707) 865-2365 - If you need someone to cut it down and bring to the mill, they can give you some numbers of local lumberjacks...

And its 141 cubic feet if its 6 feet across by 5 feet high.
    Thanks for the math lesson. That's what I get for letting a botanist calculate volume. I told her it was Πr2 X H.

Thanks for the referral to the sawmill. Parmeter Logging can get it to Berry's. They can mill and dry the wood and Robert's Hot Tubs in Richmond can make it into a hot tub for me. A red wood hot tub in the Red Woods! What serendipity!

6. Gratitude expressed by: