Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    ellenbic

Older chickens and young rooster need home

My chickens are no longer sustainable and I need them to be. I have 3 chickens who no longer lay any eggs, 4 who lay 2 eggs every other day and I ended up with a rooster among my 3 month old chickens. I am not allowed to have a rooster in the city of Petaluma.

Does anyone want a barred rock rooster?

Does anyone know of a place the non-sustainable chickens could go or is there someone willing to humanely kill them. I have some items I could trade or could even pay you something for your assistance.

Thank you.

Ellen - 707-486-6706
    Last edited by Barry; 06-01-2013 at 05:53 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Asherah

Re: Older chickens and young rooster need home

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ellenbic: View Post
    My chickens are no longer sustainable and I need them to be. I have 3 chickens who no longer lay any eggs, 4 who lay 2 eggs every other day and I ended up with a rooster among my 3 month old chickens. I am not allowed to have a rooster in the city of Petaluma.

Does anyone want a barred rock rooster?

Does anyone know of a place the non-sustainable chickens could go or is there someone willing to humanely kill them. I have some items I could trade or could even pay you something for your assistance.

Thank you.

Ellen - 707-486-6706
    The chickens are perfectly sustainable,actually. How disturbing to see the term "non-sustainable chickens!! It is YOU who is unsustainably involved in the lives of these creatures by viewing chickens as beings who are here for your needs, so once they naturally slow down laying as they age, you think they should be killed (no such thing as "humane" slaughter). Shame on people who keep animals only to kill them when they are no longer serving their needs.

3. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

4. TopTop #3
    ellenbic

My chickens are 6 years old. I have fed them and loved them for many years without them laying. They have been blessed with a huge yard and as much free range as I could give them in a city. My circumstances have changed because my husband is quite ill. I can no longer afford to feed the chickens. That is why I was looking for another home for them or another option. I have found someone to take them.

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

6. TopTop #4
    Asherah

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Asherah: View Post

The chickens are perfectly sustainable,actually. How disturbing to see the term "non-sustainable chickens!! It is YOU who is unsustainably involved in the lives of these creatures by viewing chickens as beings who are here for your needs, so once they naturally slow down laying as they age, you think they should be killed (no such thing as "humane" slaughter). Shame on people who keep animals only to kill them when they are no longer serving their needs.
    I am sorry to hear of your difficult circumstances. I still can't understand why chickens, loved or unloved, are sent to slaughter as any kind of option.

7. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

8. TopTop #5
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Shame on people who keep animals only to kill them when they are no longer serving their needs.
    I am sorry to hear of your difficult circumstances. I still can't understand why chickens, loved or unloved, are sent to slaughter as any kind of option.
    When someone determines that they can no longer care for animal for which they previously cared for and ask for help here, I will no long tolerate any shaming, judgement, or otherwise negatively commeting.

You don't know their situation and you may not superimpose your values on theirs.

What you can do is help, either be directly rescuing the animal yourself or providing information about alternatives for how the animal may be transfered to someone else.

Your cooperation is appreciated.

9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

10. TopTop #6
    Asherah

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    When someone determines that they can no longer care for animal for which they previously cared for and ask for help here, I will no long tolerate any shaming, judgement, or otherwise negatively commeting.

You don't know their situation and you may not superimpose your values on theirs.

What you can do is help, either be directly rescuing the animal yourself or providing information about alternatives for how the animal may be transfered to someone else.

Yes, I appreciate what you are saying, Barry. I did write a very strongly worded reply to this request for help and this was because the option of slaughtering the chickens was presented; it was not only a request for help to relocate or adopt. Of course one can't know someones' situation, but those of us who see animal slaughter as an unacceptable option under any circumstances will always be the voice for the animal who cannot save itself. The only time I ever use the word "shame" towards someone is in the realm of animal concerns, and I understand if you do not wish this to be a forum for such issues when that tone may come up.But if it were up to me, requests for help on Wacco for someone to come and kill an animal would also not be tolerated, no matter what the circumstances.

11. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

12. TopTop #7
    spam1

Because they're so delicious, and we humans have canine teeth.

Baked Chicken, Broiled Chicken, Chicken Gumbo, Chicken Etouffee...

13. TopTop #8
    AllorrahBe

Humane Society has a farm. Try them! and good luck.
    Allorrah
    Last edited by Barry; 06-03-2013 at 01:21 PM.

14. Gratitude expressed by:

15. TopTop #9
    Asherah

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post

After much soul-searching, I would like to apologize for the shaming tone I took in my first reply on this thread. This is a subject I feel very, very strongly about, but I realize that was not helpful or necessary here. Compassionate dialog is what is always needed; I will do better. My beliefs about and wishes for animals and how we relate to them remains unchanged, but kindness is always the path to stay on even when coming from different viewpoints. I am truly sorry.

16. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

17. TopTop #10
    scamperwillow

I am so happy you have found someone to take them. We have 19 1-year old hens and I dread the day that they stop laying because I am part of a community that doesn't want to "run a retirement home for chickens". I am eager to know of any and all options for a happy home for older chickens. I will of course fight to keep them as long as possible - and I have a promise that I can keep at least a few of them.

My chickens are 6 years old. I have fed them and loved them for many years without them laying. They have been blessed with a huge yard and as much free range as I could give them in a city. My circumstances have changed because my husband is quite ill. I can no longer afford to feed the chickens. That is why I was looking for another home for them or another option. I have found someone to take them.

18. TopTop #11
    ellenbic

Thank you, Asherah for your understanding and compassion.

After much soul-searching, I would like to apologize for the shaming tone I took in my first reply on this thread. This is a subject I feel very, very strongly about, but I realize that was not helpful or necessary here. Compassionate dialog is what is always needed; I will do better. My beliefs about and wishes for animals and how we relate to them remains unchanged, but kindness is always the path to stay on even when coming from different viewpoints. I am truly sorry.

19. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

20. TopTop #12
    Ernieman

I know a bit about chickens. My job as a kid was to gather eggs and take care of the chickens. Some relatives have thousands of them in commercial houses today. Yes, raised for meat. Came to Sonoma County in 1969 as part of back to land movement. Raised lots of chickens. Seems like half of the chicks are males. Boy, two Roosters don't mix. Beat up each other and the hens. What do you do with dozens of roosters? Kill them and eat them. Not pleasant. I guess this is one of the aspects of having chickens and they are very popular these days. I think of all the places in the world where people are literally dropping dead from starvation , in mass, in large groups. What a privileged to live in Sonoma County where the fate of chickens become a debate. Don't get me wrong. I am a modified vegetarian and I no longer raise chickens. Be kind to all animals. Find a home for Foghorn Leghorn by all means. It is just such a luxurious debate.

21. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

22. TopTop #13
    Asherah

Thank you, Asherah for your understanding and compassion.
    I am very greatful you accept my heartfelt apology, thank you. Also, I wish only the best for you, as you traverse your current challenges.

23. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: