Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Chris Madison

Encourage transparency at Sebastopol Center for The Arts

A recent marketing email distributed by the Sebastopol Center for The Arts (The Center) announced the new hire filling the position of Marketing and Operations Manager. In further exploration, I could not find where the position was advertised online or in print. A few of the members are raising concern about how this position was created and filled.

I decided to contact the leadership of The Center with questions and a request:

• What is the job description for the Marketing and Operation Manager position, and where was it advertised?

• I also request an electronic file or a link to an online document of the bylaws for the Sebastopol Center for The Arts. I wanted to know when elections for the Board of Directors is suppose to be held. In the years that I have been a member of the arts community, I have never seen a notice of election.
    I received the following email response from one of the members of the Board of Directors.

“The new position was not advertised. There is no legal or institutional requirement that we do so.

“We have hired an individual who has been known to Linda Galletta for some time. The hire was approved by the board of directors only after several interviews conducted by Linda and our board president Robert Brent.”

You’re right. The leadership does not have legal or institutional requirements to advertise and fill a paid position at The Center. But, one would think that when the leadership goes to the community asking for donations for a $600,000 construction project, it would extend the courtesy to the community of advertising an opening for a position to potential candidates. With the considerable amount of talent and expertise in the Sebastopol community, I am sure that there would have been qualified individuals who would have like the opportunity to apply for the position.

In response to the request for the bylaws:

“Our bylaws do not address personnel policies or practices, which is the usual case. We also can find no reason why they would be relevant to what we are discussing. Our thinking is similar regarding your request for a job description, which we consider a non-public personnel document.

“We consider this matter closed...”

Well, it is not closed. You are required by law to provide your bylaws upon request.

Many tax exempt organizations post them on their website to assure compliance with the law. To date, I have not received either an electronic file or a link to an online document of the bylaws for The Center.

I am an avid supporter of the local arts community and have contributed hundreds of hours in volunteer work at The Center, and I will continue to be an avid supporter and volunteer when asked.

I recommend advertising job openings to avoid concerns of nepotism and more transparency to the operational practices of The Center.

According to the World English Dictionary, nepotism is “favouritism shown to relatives or close friends by those with power or influence.

This post should not be construed as questioning the qualifications of the new Marketing and Operations Manager. He may be the best fit for this position. Unfortunately, we do not know that at this point. Many of the members of the art community and volunteer staff welcome and encourage new blood in the leadership of The Center.

Nor should this post distract from what I believe is the incredible accomplishment of the move to the Veterans Memorial Building and construction project by the leadership.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Dogenzip

Re: Encourage transparency at Sebastopol Center for The Arts

I concur.
    As a member I shall also ask for a copy of their ByLaws.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Chris Madison: View Post
    A recent marketing email distributed by the Sebastopol Center for The Arts (The Center) announced the new hire filling the position of Marketing and Operations Manager. In further exploration, I could not find where the position was advertised online or in print. A few of the members are raising concern about how this position was created and filled.

I decided to contact the leadership of The Center with questions and a request:

• What is the job description for the Marketing and Operation Manager position, and where was it advertised?

• I also request an electronic file or a link to an online document of the bylaws for the Sebastopol Center for The Arts. I wanted to know when elections for the Board of Directors is suppose to be held. In the years that I have been a member of the arts community, I have never seen a notice of election.
    I received the following email response from one of the members of the Board of Directors.

“The new position was not advertised. There is no legal or institutional requirement that we do so.

“We have hired an individual who has been known to Linda Galletta for some time. The hire was approved by the board of directors only after several interviews conducted by Linda and our board president Robert Brent.”

You’re right. The leadership does not have legal or institutional requirements to advertise and fill a paid position at The Center. But, one would think that when the leadership goes to the community asking for donations for a $600,000 construction project, it would extend the courtesy to the community of advertising an opening for a position to potential candidates. With the considerable amount of talent and expertise in the Sebastopol community, I am sure that there would have been qualified individuals who would have like the opportunity to apply for the position.

In response to the request for the bylaws:

“Our bylaws do not address personnel policies or practices, which is the usual case. We also can find no reason why they would be relevant to what we are discussing. Our thinking is similar regarding your request for a job description, which we consider a non-public personnel document.

“We consider this matter closed...”

Well, it is not closed. You are required by law to provide your bylaws upon request.

Many tax exempt organizations post them on their website to assure compliance with the law. To date, I have not received either an electronic file or a link to an online document of the bylaws for The Center.

I am an avid supporter of the local arts community and have contributed hundreds of hours in volunteer work at The Center, and I will continue to be an avid supporter and volunteer when asked.

I recommend advertising job openings to avoid concerns of nepotism and more transparency to the operational practices of The Center.

According to the World English Dictionary, nepotism is “favouritism shown to relatives or close friends by those with power or influence.

This post should not be construed as questioning the qualifications of the new Marketing and Operations Manager. He may be the best fit for this position. Unfortunately, we do not know that at this point. Many of the members of the art community and volunteer staff welcome and encourage new blood in the leadership of The Center.

Nor should this post distract from what I believe is the incredible accomplishment of the move to the Veterans Memorial Building and construction project by the leadership.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

4. Gratitude expressed by: