Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    ella rozett

books etc. for jail ministry

Hi folks,
    I've been teaching interfaith meditation in our county jails for 13 years and see what impact books have on inmates' minds. There still are a lot of crappy murder mysteries on their book carts, interspersed with some good books. I would like the ration to be reversed, so if you have any good, non-violent books sitting around that you won't read again, please consider donating them.

Also, I have a great inmate (one of my success stories) who will get released this month and is asking for a used, old laptop.

For more info e-mail or call me at 874-3397.

Thanks, Ella Rozett
    www.interfaithMary.net
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2

Re: books etc. for jail ministry

I have access to lots of free books---mostly novels. Where shall I bring them?

Lilith

And thanks for doing this.

3. TopTop #3
    Cheingrand

Sending books to inmates prohibits hardcovers and requires that they only be shipped from bookstores like Amazon and Barnes & Nobles. Is there another route other than jumping through these hoops?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ella rozett: View Post
    Hi folks,
    I've been teaching interfaith meditation in our county jails for 13 years and see what impact books have on inmates' minds. There still are a lot of crappy murder mysteries on their book carts, interspersed with some good books. I would like the ration to be reversed, so if you have any good, non-violent books sitting around that you won't read again, please consider donating them.

4. TopTop #4
    ella rozett

Thanks for all the great response! Here's what's easiest for me:

You can drop off books any time at the red church in Occidental, across the street from the hardware store, on Bohemian Hwy. It's open all day and it's my job to lock up around dusk. If you just leave paper bags or boxes with books in the back, I'll find them. You could leave a note on them saying: "jail books for Ella". While you're there, you can pick up one of my "Interfaith Meditation" flyers, if you wonder who I am or what I do.

If Occidental is not convenient for you, make other plans with me. The main jail also has a book drop off place at the back door, but it's a little hard to find.

Cheingrand: No, there is no other route to get a specific book to a specific inmate. All I can do is pass on donated books for the general inmate population. The "North County" jail by the airport accepts hard covers. They also like magazines for art projects and reading.

All the best, Ella

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Cheingrand: View Post
    Sending books to inmates prohibits hardcovers and requires that they only be shipped from bookstores like Amazon and Barnes & Nobles. Is there another route other than jumping through these hoops?

5. Gratitude expressed by: