Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    taishon

Earthday - 2103 Call for Divesting in Fossil Fuel Companies

So I am posting this on the eve of Earthday 2013 and the eve of the last day of the public comment period for the Keystone Pipeline project. My family and I participated in several ED events which I enjoyed but ultimately found depressing by the misguided lack of real action and seriousness. All my friends will tell you that I am one of the most skeptical, evidence driven, and conservative people they know. I believe the case for Psychic powers, astrology, energy healing etc etc is very weak and the only 'alternative therapies' I trust have a proven, evidence based track record (such as yoga). In general, I hate conspiracy theories (lets face it the government does bad things mainly through incompetence and laziness not intelligent conspiracy). So, when I say I believe that Climate Destabilization is real and that we have reached a human civilization tipping point, I don't say it lightly and with little thought or background research. We are wll past the 350 ppm carbon 'safe point' for civilization and none of the personal 'feel good' strategies of planting a few trees, occasionally biking, praying for the Earth, getting together and patting ourselves on the back because we became Vegans is going to do much towards the utlimate end. The only real effective action is to force Fossil Fuel companies, the most profitable and least accountable business entitites in history to become ethical energy companies and invest, majorily, in alternatives. How do we do that ? Not with evidence, science (which they ignore or bait and switch) or even necessarily governmental politics (which they control to the tune of $400,000/ day in lobbying) We need to do it economically by encouraging your union, your investment portfolio managers, your pension fund managers, your college etc to divest themselves from fossil fuel companies. I mass emailed all my union members to sign an online petition..I encourage anyone reading this to something similar. I would be happy to be completly proven wrong but I believe, as do a majority of rational knowledgeable people do, that it will become probably the most serious issue facing human civilization.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by: