Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Hotspring 44

did you know that Beaver anal gland juice is a food ingredient?

Quote Castoreum

WHAT IT IS: Beaver anal gland juice. Really. Beavers combine it with their urine to mark their territory.
    FOUND IN: Vanilla or raspberry flavoring in processed foods, labeled only as “natural flavoring.”
    WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW: It’s beaver anal gland juice.
    This was part of an article by By Bill Phillips and the Editors of Men's Health Feb 09, 2013 titled: "The 11 Scariest Things in Your Food" that was in yahoo news.

The whole article is at:
    https://health.yahoo.net/experts/men...ings-your-food
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Sebtown1968

Re: did you know that Beaver anal gland juice is a food ingredient?

So what? There are lots of ingredients used in processed food that seem strange: Pork anus (Bung) as "Artificial" Calamari, gland juices as numerous flavorings (blueberry is another). All are "Natural," just not derived from the ingredient whos flavor they are trying to emulate.

4. TopTop #3
    Hotspring 44

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sebtown1968: View Post
    So what? There are lots of ingredients used in processed food that seem strange: Pork anus (Bung) as "Artificial" Calamari, gland juices as numerous flavorings (blueberry is another). All are "Natural," just not derived from the ingredient whos flavor they are trying to emulate.
    Shit is "natural" too but just because it may (supposedly) taste like a rare mushroom or whatever the "food producer" says it is supposed to taste like after some sort of "processing", and the technicality that it is deemed by the FDA as a "natural" ingredient, and the fact that the scientific lingo on the food container obscures to most of us what that or those "other natural ingredients are makes it rather unappetizing to me.

Now I am even less likely to buy processed food with the "and other natural ingredients" on the label which I can't determine from the scientific label wording that may not even be on the label in the first place!... ... what the/those ingredients are or derived from.
    If I wanted to have "Artificial" Calamari, ({and} I don't!) or any other so-called "natural ingredient", I still want to have the choice to be able to know what the actual ingredients are without having a degree in food label legalese or being an insider of a particular food processing plant.

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

6. TopTop #4
    Hotspring 44

BTW, I am referring to "natural" ingredients on food ingredient labels, not the patented artificial ones.
    Also BTW, I think there is no reasonable reason to obscure what the "natural ingredients" are by putting the term "and other natural ingredients"on the label other than to sell to the unknowing,misguided and gullible, public some sort of crap they would in most cases never even touch with their bare hands never mind eating it!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Hotspring 44: View Post
    If I wanted to have "Artificial" Calamari, ({and} I don't!) or any other so-called "natural ingredient", I still want to have the choice to be able to know what the actual ingredients are without having a degree in food label legalese or being an insider of a particular food processing plant.

7. TopTop #5
    podfish

I don't -want- to know. Don't dare tell me they're also in hot dogs.