Save African lions from extinction by listing them as an endangered species

URL to petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/sav...ngered-species
Text of explanation for why:
Quote Many people already think African lions are protected as an endangered species, but they aren't listed under the Endangered Species Act. That means the US government doesn't protect them, and it's legal to import lion trophies and lion parts and to serve lion meat at restaurants here in the states.

I've been to Africa to volunteer with these amazing, social and family oriented animals and it worries me that they might disappear in my lifetime. But there's hope: Right now, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is considering adding African lions to the endangered species list.

We've lost more than 80-90% of the world's lion population in recent decades due to massive habitat loss, disease, trophy hunters and the exotic animal trade. Two thirds of lion trophies have ended up in the United States over the last ten years! If listed as endangered, hunters will no longer be able to bring lion trophies into the US therefore saving a large number of the lion population.This is our chance to give these iconic animals the protections they need before they disappear forever.

We only have until the end of the day on Monday, January 28th to tell the government we support endangered species protections for lions!
Please sign my petition in support of listing lions under the Endangered Species Act. Once you've signed, I also encourage you to leave a comment on the official proposal at https://www.federalregister.gov/arti...le_of_contents You will find the comment area on the upper right hand of the page.
Text of actual petition letter:
Quote To:
Ken Salazar, Secretary of Interior
US Fish and Wildlife Service
Dear USFWS,

Thank you for reviewing the status of African lions. I strongly urge you to list the African lion as "endangered" under the U.S. Endangered Species Act. (Docket No. FWS-R9-ES-2012-0025)

African lions are among the most iconic animals on the planet and I worry that they might disappear in my lifetime. I've read about their devastating habitat loss and threats from disease and hunters.We have lost 80%-90% of the worlds lion population in less than 50 years. It's especially disturbing to see lion parts and lion meat sold in the United States, when this species has lost so much of its wild population in recent years.

The United States has a huge role to play, as a world leader and a major market for lions and lion parts. Please give African lions the protections they deserve and need by granting them Endangered Species Act protections.

Thank you.
Sincerely,
[Your name]

I signed this petition.