Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1

What Is Your Interpretation Of The Noise Ordinance Regarding Barking?

I have a neighbor with 4 dogs who may be reading Wacco digests and I would like to ask the community how you’d regard living next to someone with her dog barking philosophy and what you think neighborly barking tolerances should be. Noise Ordinance Code 5-126 saying that ‘...no animal owner should obstruct the reasonable and comfortable use of property by barking.....’ is somewhat up for interpretation.

I moved among a cluster of homes in an idyllic Mirabel Road neighborhood last year and was dismayed to find one neighbor who allows her dogs to bark outside as long as they want anytime all day or all night, never making any effort to stop it. The irregular but frequent 24/hr a day pockets of time range from shorter to hours.

The dog owner made her philosophy about neighborliness and dog barking clear when I called after the 4th night in a row of being awakened by the barking at 1AM or later and her actual response was... “Get over it and live in the world. Dogs bark.” {hang up}

Besides going to bed anxious every night not knowing if I’m going to have a reliable night of sleep, the hard part for me is knowing that every first bark signals the beginning of lasting for who knows how long again. It pierces right through my double pane windows and earplugs. No other nearby dog owners allow this. If I had a dog, barking would rarely last 15 seconds once in a while and never past 10PM.

A separate issue that is hard to be aware of and I'm unable to help is knowing the little dogs are being left outside all night with no shelter in freezing temps, pouring rain or damp, dense fog. Last night they were plaintively barking at 2AM+ at 35 degrees and my heart was breaking for them. I have offered to pay for a dog door, but the owner refused so all I could do was make Animal Control aware.

The dog owner has argued to me that ‘no one else cares’, but I think people don’t know their rights or are unwilling to stand up (like one long incensed but unwilling neighbor so far), and if I have to I will ask others nearby to join me in the next legal step Animal Control petition. But I’m hoping that positive change can start here with the community opinion.

How would you feel living next to such frequent anytime day or night barking knowing the dog owner does not consider it anything she has a responsibility to ever stop or prevent, and what would you consider to be reasonable and neighborly day and night dog barking tolerance according to the Noise Ordinance?

In desire of peace and a good night’s sleep, much appreciation.
    Alex
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Dixon

Re: What Is Your Interpretation Of The Noise Ordinance Regarding Barking?

Alexia, you have bent over backwards giving this inconsiderate dipshit every opportunity to be reasonable, and she has shown herself unwilling to do so. Thus she has created a situation in which your only recourse is force. If I were you, I'd get real clear on what the law is re: times of day/night, etc. and then call the police every single time her dogs violate the law. You might also consider calling the dog owner every time; being awakened in the middle of the night a few times might spark her self-interest, if not her empathy, which seems to be notably lacking. As she has shown that she can't be reasoned with, you are justified to respond with virtually any level of force necessary to solve the problem, so no need to be reticent anymore.
    Last edited by Dixon; 01-31-2014 at 01:19 AM.

4. TopTop #3
    Marty M

Hello Alexia,

Incessant barking is definitely annoying and disturbs our sleep.

Please go to the Humane Society on Hwy. 12 and ask them for advise about this.

I think that if you report this to So Co Animal Control, they will come out and talk to the owner. But you may not want to do this as a first approach. I don't think it is against the law for people to have dogs that bark. As long as they are fenced (or chained), fed and watered, the county doesn't require much.

It is my experience that dogs left outside, bark at night because that is when all the wild critters are out and about. The dogs will bark at every passing racoon, skunk, opossum or river otter that happens by (fox, bobcat and mountain lion are more discrete).

Dogs left outside will also bark if their owner is not home and they are lonely. Many people who live in the country and have dogs are really clueless. Unfortunately owners of barking dogs are seldom bothered by their own dogs barking.

I would never leave my dogs outside at night, because I do not want them to bother the wildlife or the neighbors. Actually I sometimes need to be firm with them. They would love nothing better than to go out and bark at the wildlife. It's great sport.

I hope this can work out for you.
    Marty
    Last edited by Barry; 01-17-2013 at 12:00 PM.

5. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

6. TopTop #4
    sharingwisdom

First I want to say how compassionate and caring you are about the dogs and the whole situation. It seems you've done all you could to communicate what is going for you with little care from the owner of the dogs. The person's response was curt, minimizing and in disregard of the situation.

I've also lived in an area where a dog barked a great deal of the time. I called animal control and wrote complaints. It stopped...I suppose after enough warnings, the person did something about it or they moved away. I hope you continue to move forward in your plans to take action and connect with other neighbors.

7. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

8. TopTop #5
    The A Team
    Supporting Member

Alex
    I empathize with your plight and agree with Marty's suggestions.
    I have 2 close by neighbors/ houses with dogs that bark incessantly. I have asked them to get electronic bark collars, the kind that emit a sound the dog hears. Even though this is not a financial stretch for any of them, they all refused.
    IMO It is not unreasonable after your kind requests are denied, to call animal control. I have done so in the past.There is no way to "get over" noise pollution.

This time around I've resorted to earphones with music or earplugs at night. Also air filters can work well as white noise machines.

Andrea

9. Gratitude expressed by:

10. TopTop #6
    Shandi

I like your suggestion, and I've done similar things when I've been awakened at unreasonable hours by partiers at 2 am. Payback was easy because they were right next door in a townhouse. I'm an early riser, so Sunday morning, when I woke at 6am, I blasted music with the stereo facing an open window near their bedroom. Their future parties were much more toned down by a reasonable hour. I used the same technique when another next door neighbor years before, had started up their mower at 7am on a Sunday morning. They got the loud music the next morning at 6am. Sometimes people need to experience what it's like to be on the other end of it.

The problem with calling is that you might be successful only once, and then they may just turn their phone off at night. And approaching in person in the middle of the night could be dangerous.

It seems like the dogs are in an abusive situation, so I'd take pictures, document the barking by recording, indicating time and date, and show this to Animal Control. I think they need some kind of proof before stepping in.

We never know who are neighbors are going to be, even in a beautiful high end neighborhood. Inconsiderate people are everywhere. I feel very fortunate to be in a mobile home park where it's always peaceful and quiet, even though many residents have dogs.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    Alexia, you have bent over backwards giving this inconsiderate dipshit every opportunity to be reasonable, and she has shown herself unwilling to do so. Thus she has created a situation in which your only recourse is force. If I were you, I'd get real clear on what the law is re: times of day/night, etc. and then call the police every single time her dogs violate the law. You might also consider calling the dog owner every time; being awakened in the midddle of the night a few times might spark her self-interest, if not her empathy, which seems to be notably lacking. As she has shown that she can't be reasoned with, you are justified to respond with virtually any level of force necessary to solve the problem, so no need to be reticent anymore.

11. Gratitude expressed by:

12. TopTop #7

Alexia, you have bent over backwards giving this inconsiderate dipshit every opportunity to be reasonable, and she has shown herself unwilling to do so. Thus she has created a situation in which your only recourse is force. If I were you, I'd get real clear on what the law is re: times of day/night, etc. and then call the police every single time her dogs violate the law. You might also consider calling the dog owner every time; being awakened in the midddle of the night a few times might spark her self-interest, if not her empathy, which seems to be notably lacking. As she has shown that she can't be reasoned with, you are justified to respond with virtually any level of force necessary to solve the problem, so no need to be reticent anymore.

Thanks for the straight talk, you are ethically correct, but the police refuse to respond to dog barking calls even though the barking is technically breaking the law, and the law is vaguely stated. That's why I was asking for the community to show this woman their opinion on how they'd define 'breaking' the noise ordinance. What amount of barking crosses the line? Hour of the day? Length of time? Frequency?

But she probably won't care and the level of force necessary is going to be a slow legal system.

Or you! Can I hire you to do some serious barking back? :-)

13. TopTop #8

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Marty M: View Post
    Hello Alexia,

Incessant barking is definitely annoying and disturbs our sleep.

Please go to the Humane Society on Hwy. 12 and ask them for advise about this.

I think that if you report this to So Co Animal Control, they will come out and talk to the owner. But you may not want to do this as a first approach. I don't think it is against the law for people to have dogs that bark. As long as they are fenced (or chained), fed and watered, the county doesn't require much.

It is my experience that dogs left outside, bark at night because that is when all the wild critters are out and about. The dogs will bark at every passing racoon, skunk, opossum or river otter that happens by (fox, bobcat and mountain lion are more discrete).

Dogs left outside will also bark if their owner is not home and they are lonely. Many people who live in the country and have dogs are really clueless. Unfortunately owners of barking dogs are seldom bothered by their own dogs barking.

I would never leave my dogs outside at night, because I do not want them to bother the wildlife or the neighbors. Actually I sometimes need to be firm with them. They would love nothing better than to go out and bark at the wildlife. It's great sport.

I hope this can work out for you.
    Marty
    Thanks Marty. Yes, these dogs are left outside in a fenced yard, lonely, bored and were desperate to come inside when I visited. And you're right, they bark constantly and the owner told me she 'doesn't hear them'!

I have already had long conversations with Animal Control who have visited the dog owner twice, but she’s ignoring their notices.

There are legal next steps, but this was my last ditch effort to try and get her to see public opinion and get it together, but maybe this was a hopeless long shot. Yes, she’ll lose in court if I have to go there, Animal Control has given me clear instructions on how to proceed and will testify on my behalf.

Maybe I’ve been lucky to have never had this extreme of a neighbor before, I’m just a bit in shock at the arrogant fu live with it attitude about such reckless imposing of 24/hr day noise on all your neighbors. It's been far more my experience that you are the norm and she is a rare exception.

14. TopTop #9
    Peacemaker

Seems to me that the primary issue is that the dogs are being neglected, therefore they are barking to try to get the attention of whomever can change their situation. Personally, I am willing to hear dogs barking for about a minute, unless there is something important happening that is causing them to issue a warning. In your situation, it appears that your neighbor is neglecting the care of the dogs. Hopefully, ASPCA or Animal Control authorities can be of assistance to you.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-17-2013 at 08:53 AM.

15. Gratitude expressed by:

16. TopTop #10
    Dixon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Alexia: View Post
    ...the level of force necessary is going to be a slow legal system.
    Or you! Can I hire you to do some serious barking back? :-)
    I'm afraid I'm not much of a barker, (though if the money's good, I'll learn!), but I do have some CDs of very loud, grating music I could loan you...

17. TopTop #11
    Shandi

I'd record the actual barking, as you build your case...and play back at best times for most impact. This would also be proof to back up your claim...besides the obvious satisfaction that comes from revenge. In my mind this can seriously deteriorate not only your right to live with an acceptable noise level, but also your mental health.

I'm afraid I'm not much of a barker, (though if the money's good, I'll learn!), but I do have some CDs of very loud, grating music I could loan you...

18. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

19. TopTop #12
    tommy

If I'm not mistaken, Sonoma County has a dog ordinance, whereby when a neighbor makes a complaint about a dog, a County Animal Employee will visit the neighbor with the dog, and advise them of the ordinance. If the barking continues, call the County again, request a 2nd visit, and which point some punitive measures or fines can be applied.

Good luck.

20. Gratitude expressed by:

21. TopTop #13

I really feel for you. I live in the county next to the most irresponsible, inconsiderate neighbor. For 15 years
    she has had a series of dogs that barked and howled, sometimes 3 at a time. She would leave for work in the morning and not come home sometimes til 8-9 at night. Then, she would let them out at night to "talk to their friends". She would take in other people's dogs and leave them tied up to howl. Their run is next to my house only- literally 10 feet from my house. I complained at LEAST 10 times to animal control. They said they would call or come by to talk to the owner but NEVER did anything else. It was affecting my sleep, work and health. Animal Control said they needed compaints from at least 3 other neighbors, who would not complain as they all had dogs and wouldn't get involved and they were far enough away not be so affected. So Animal Control was useless. I spoke to the owner, called her when it happened, cried, begged. This woman was heartless. I've owned my home more than 30 years and loved it otherwise. It finally stopped when the dogs died of old age.
    I was later advised to get right up to the fence and record the barking and document the dates, times and how long it lasts. If you can, video them. Then take the owner to small claims court for being a nuisance. Enclosed is the following link how to do that:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...hapter7-7.html

Good luck!

22. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

23. TopTop #14

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Peacemaker: View Post
    Seems to me that the primary issue is that the dogs are being neglected, therefore they are barking to try to get the attention of whomever can change their situation. Personally, I am willing to hear dogs barking for about a minute, unless there is something important happening that is causing them to issue a warning. In your situation, it appears that your neighbor is neglecting the care of the dogs. Hopefully, ASPCA or Animal Control authorities can be of assistance to you.

Yes, the dogs are definitely barking from long whole days and nights of being ignored and trying to get the owner's attention. And I'd agree that over a minute with no good reason exceeds neighborly tolerance. Maybe she'll see this and see that I'm not alone or unreasonable in this thinking. Thank you.

24. TopTop #15

Quote Posted in reply to the post by lili22: View Post
    I really feel for you. I live in the county next to the most irresponsible, inconsiderate neighbor. For 15 years
    she has had a series of dogs that barked and howled, sometimes 3 at a time. She would leave for work in the morning and not come home sometimes til 8-9 at night. Then, she would let them out at night to "talk to their friends". She would take in other people's dogs and leave them tied up to howl. Their run is next to my house only- literally 10 feet from my house. I complained at LEAST 10 times to animal control. They said they would call or come by to talk to the owner but NEVER did anything else. It was affecting my sleep, work and health. Animal Control said they needed compaints from at least 3 other neighbors, who would not complain as they all had dogs and wouldn't get involved and they were far enough away not be so affected. So Animal Control was useless. I spoke to the owner, called her when it happened, cried, begged. This woman was heartless. I've owned my home more than 30 years and loved it otherwise. It finally stopped when the dogs died of old age.
    I was later advised to get right up to the fence and record the barking and document the dates, times and how long it lasts. If you can, video them. Then take the owner to small claims court for being a nuisance. Enclosed is the following link how to do that:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...hapter7-7.html

Good luck!
    Yes, I'm being forced to the next step, thank you very much for your input and that link.

In unincorporated Sonoma it's just one other person that you need to join you. I can just skip to Civil Court too.

Here's one for you I found today in case you or anyone else needs it. It's an incredible, compassionate, no frills comprehensive compilation of all aspects of dealing with barking and the people that you're dealing with.

https://www.barkingdogs.net/index.shtml

25. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

26. TopTop #16
    wildflower

Call 565-7100 (Sonoma County Animal Care & Control), wade through the queue until you can press #9 and make a nuisance barking report with a live operator. They usually send a letter to the offender(s) and there may be fines or consequences later on. I am always very careful about doing this in situations where it may end up causing abusive situations for the animals...in that case, I don't report.,,,but I think you probably should...right away!

27. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

28. TopTop #17
    msl

I had originally responded to Alexia privately, as this is a long reply. I've decided to go public with it for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that...I've brought this subject up to several people over the past two days and the reaction is one of such anger and frustration that I really think everyone needs to get together and DO something about these situations! Everyone I spoke with had at least one long term experience with such animals and their dogs. (NOT a mistake, there.) (Sorry, animals... no offense.)
    Anyway, the loss of sleep, the inability to enjoy one's own home/yard... it's just appalling that this happens, and, honestly, there really must be something that people can do. I know there is, but it involves people needing to realize that sometimes, ya hafta get mad! Because what I'm hearing from people is that no one wants to speak up/get involved.

Anyway, here's what I wrote:

Barking dogs are the bane of every neighborhood. Everyone has a story or two to tell about them. Everyone feels helpless to do anything.

No one can reason with these dogs’ owners. They simply don’t care/listen/understand. I really don’t get it. I honestly don’t know how they can sleep through it. I don’t know how it doesn’t drive them up the wall!
    I have a friend who’s a dog owner and who understands that dogs’ incessant barking drives people up the wall. Apparently she has a sister who doesn’t get it. She says her sister complains about… her neighbors’ constant complaints about her dogs’ barking!

Currently there is a family living across the street from me. They’re on their third dog in about 5 years. They gave away the first two because they “barked and bolted”. This dog they have now is a little thing. They let it bark sometimes for hours at a time! They used to let it out in the front yard, and it would run after people walking in the street, kids riding bikes or skateboards, etc. I’ve seen and heard several people taking these people to task for their dog’s behavior.
    The dog’s behavior (or should I say the owner’s behavior) has actually improved since one day, several months ago, I’d just had it. I’d already gotten angry with them for letting their little girl walk the dog across the street to my yard and letting the dog sh.. in my yard! The final straw came when I saw one of my cats bolt by, followed by their little dog, which then just trotted on back across the street to their front yard. Both the husband and wife were in their front yard! It’s not like the dog gets out and does this stuff and they don’t know about it. So, I’d just got out of the shower, but I hastily threw a dress on, and, still dripping and barefoot, marched over and yelled at them at the top of my lungs.
    This little dog and its family is the talk of the neighborhood. I’ve known several people who’ve told me that they’d brought up the dog’s behavior to the owners in a polite and neighborly manner. I was actually surprised to hear that, because I thought I was the only one. (The other people I mentioned earlier were not “regulars” in the neighborhood. They were “strangers” to me and to the neighbors, as well. I was surprised that any of the “regulars”, the people who live on the block, had spoken to them.) I think that’s one thing that made me so mad so that I ended up yelling at them, for the whole neighborhood to hear… that I knew I wasn’t the only one and that I was so frustrated for everyone else, too.

After that, I heard other people talking to them in a more vehement manner, and now they are better behaved. And I wonder about people who will only “be considerate” after having been yelled at…not when neighbors ask in a friendly fashion.

The thing is, although everyone talked about this dog, (one neighbor calls it “that vicious little thing on the corner”) no one was willing to do anything. I see some of these same people who talk about the dog and the people, and they walk by and speak in a very friendly fashion to these people. I’ve seen one neighbor walking by (after I went over and yelled at them that morning) and the dog was barking, just because the neighbor was walking back to her own house, and the man was outside with the little dog and the man apologized for the dog’s barking, and the neighbor replied “Oh, that’s OK!” Even though she’s one of the people who talks about those people and their dog!

Before these people there was another neighbor with a dog, and sometimes, when the man left at, like 6:15 in the morning, he’d leave his dog at the window to say goodbye, with the dog barking all the while. And that dog would oftentimes bark for quite some time after the guy had left. It would sit at the window and then anyone walking or driving by would start his barking again. There were two days when I had to call in “sick” to work, because I needed to stay home and try to get some sleep. Another time I had to cancel a lunch date with a friend because I couldn’t make it to noon.
    I’m not making this up!

Because, as you said, not only is it difficult to sleep, but, once the dog starts barking, even if it stops, or even if it’s midnight and the dog hasn’t barked yet, there’s an anxiety that is always there, and a truly good night’s sleep is impossible. Relaxation is impossible.

These kinds of neighbors are letting their dogs invade other peoples’ spaces… spaces that are OURS.
    Even if they keep the dog out of my yard, even if they keep the dog from chasing after people in the streets… OUR streets, NOT the dog’s streets… they’re still willingly allowing their dogs and, by extension, themselves, to occupy MY space. They are forcing themselves on the rest of us.
    I resent having to turn the music up in my own home to drown out the sound of a dog.
    I resent having to put earplugs in to sleep in my own bedroom because the dog’s barking.
    I resent going into my back yard to work in the garden and hearing the constant bark, bark, bark, yap,
    yap, yap, instead of being able to hear the wind rustle the leaves and the birds chirping.

What to do about it?

I do know, as you probably do, too, that animal Control won’t take action on a barking complaint unless there are two people willing to complain. Which means you’d have to go around to your neighbors and try to get them on board. Which might be difficult because people complaining must be willing to say that they’ll testify in court. This scares people off.
    These kinds of people… the barking dogs’ owners, do not seem to care about other people or about what other people think of them. They might even take pleasure in thinking that others are being bothered and sleepless because of them. There ARE twisted people in the world.
    But say they’re not that devious. It sounds as if they may be because of their callousness. But say they’re just regular people.
    The only thing that might get them to stop is knowing that other neighbors are also being affected by the dogs. This means that other people are going to have to speak up. My experience is that they cannot speak up nicely; they have to let the dog owners know that they’re upset. And people don’t want to be bad neighbors, so they won’t let the dog owners know that they are upset.
    The only other thing that stops some people is authority. Animal Control. But, unless you’ve got more than just barking going on, you alone cannot get Animal control to go out.

And the barking goes on. I cannot believe that you’re the only one in your neighborhood who is kept awake.

Well, you just asked what people thought about dog owners like that, and I’ve given you an earful. But I know you understand, and I understand your frustrations, and I wish I could help.

I’m replying privately, but if you think it would help your situation to post anything, let me know what that is, and I’ll do it, if you think it might help your neighbors’ selfish and lazy behaviors.

Louise

Ps…I wrote this late last night and just read others posts tonight. This topic really gets people going! I was talking to some people today about this, and everyone had a story or two and they all had very, very harsh words for your neighbor/s and people like them. As I said, they’re the bane of every neighborhood. The police won’t do anything. The Humane Society will refer you to Animal Control. You COULD try e-mailing animal control and really explaining the situation, including the loss of sleep. I “met” a really nice and caring animal control officer that way who did explain my options. I also called and spoke with a very nice woman. Really, you’re going to have to get some other people on your side for anyone to pay attention. I’m pretty sure.

Good Luck, Alexis.

Louise

29. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

30. TopTop #18

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wildflower: View Post
    Call 565-7100 (Sonoma County Animal Care & Control), wade through the queue until you can press #9 and make a nuisance barking report with a live operator. They usually send a letter to the offender(s) and there may be fines or consequences later on. I am always very careful about doing this in situations where it may end up causing abusive situations for the animals...in that case, I don't report.,,,but I think you probably should...right away!

Thank you. I had already begun that process before posting here hoping the offender/wacco reader would rethink after seeing the community sentiment.

I'm wondering if it has helped. There has been no barking the last two nights and the difference is astounding. To not have a sledgehammer reaching into my house and hitting me over the head has made an entirely different feel to the quality of life. I hope the sledgehammer now goes away during the day and during wanting to enjoy my backyard as well. Just being in my backyard has been a quick continuous barking trigger.

If you have made a positive change dog owner, thank you from the bottom of my heart. The relief is enormous. You know who I am, please call me if I can help in any way to make this continue and be reliable. I am not your enemy in any way. Peace.

31. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

32. TopTop #19

Quote Posted in reply to the post by msl: View Post
    I had originally responded to Alexia privately, as this is a long reply. I've decided to go public with it for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that...I've brought this subject up to several people over the past two days and the reaction is one of such anger and frustration that I really think everyone needs to get together and DO something about these situations! Everyone I spoke with had at least one long term experience with such animals and their dogs. (NOT a mistake, there.) (Sorry, animals... no offense.)

Anyway, the loss of sleep, the inability to enjoy one's own home/yard... it's just appalling that this happens, and, honestly, there really must be something that people can do. I know there is, but it involves people needing to realize that sometimes, ya hafta get mad! Because what I'm hearing from people is that no one wants to speak up/get involved.

Anyway, here's what I wrote:

Barking dogs are the bane of every neighborhood. Everyone has a story or two to tell about them. Everyone feels helpless to do anything.

No one can reason with these dogs’ owners. They simply don’t care/listen/understand. I really don’t get it. I honestly don’t know how they can sleep through it. I don’t know how it doesn’t drive them up the wall!.........

.....This little dog and its family is the talk of the neighborhood. I’ve known several people who’ve told me that they’d brought up the dog’s behavior to the owners in a polite and neighborly manner. I was actually surprised to hear that, because I thought I was the only one. ..... I think that’s one thing that made me so mad so that I ended up yelling at them, for the whole neighborhood to hear… that I knew I wasn’t the only one and that I was so frustrated for everyone else, too.

After that, I heard other people talking to them in a more vehement manner, and now they are better behaved. And I wonder about people who will only “be considerate” after having been yelled at…not when neighbors ask in a friendly fashion.

The thing is, although everyone talked about this dog, ... no one was willing to do anything.......

........Because, as you said, not only is it difficult to sleep, but, once the dog starts barking, even if it stops, or even if it’s midnight and the dog hasn’t barked yet, there’s an anxiety that is always there, and a truly good night’s sleep is impossible. Relaxation is impossible.

These kinds of neighbors are letting their dogs invade other peoples’ spaces… spaces that are OURS.

Even if they keep the dog out of my yard, even if they keep the dog from chasing after people in the streets… OUR streets, NOT the dog’s streets… they’re still willingly allowing their dogs and, by extension, themselves, to occupy MY space. They are forcing themselves on the rest of us.

I resent having to turn the music up in my own home to drown out the sound of a dog.
    I resent having to put earplugs in to sleep in my own bedroom because the dog’s barking.
    I resent going into my back yard to work in the garden and hearing the constant bark, bark, bark, yap,
    yap, yap, instead of being able to hear the wind rustle the leaves and the birds chirping.

What to do about it?

I do know, as you probably do, too, that animal Control won’t take action on a barking complaint unless there are two people willing to complain. Which means you’d have to go around to your neighbors and try to get them on board. Which might be difficult because people complaining must be willing to say that they’ll testify in court. This scares people off.

These kinds of people… the barking dogs’ owners, do not seem to care about other people or about what other people think of them. They might even take pleasure in thinking that others are being bothered and sleepless because of them. There ARE twisted people in the world.

But say they’re not that devious. It sounds as if they may be because of their callousness. But say they’re just regular people. The only thing that might get them to stop is knowing that other neighbors are also being affected by the dogs. This means that other people are going to have to speak up. My experience is that they cannot speak up nicely; they have to let the dog owners know that they’re upset. And people don’t want to be bad neighbors, so they won’t let the dog owners know that they are upset.

The only other thing that stops some people is authority. Animal Control. But, unless you’ve got more than just barking going on, you alone cannot get Animal control to go out.

And the barking goes on. I cannot believe that you’re the only one in your neighborhood who is kept awake.

Well, you just asked what people thought about dog owners like that, and I’ve given you an earful. But I know you understand, and I understand your frustrations, and I wish I could help.

I’m replying privately, but if you think it would help your situation to post anything, let me know what that is, and I’ll do it, if you think it might help your neighbors’ selfish and lazy behaviors.

Louise

Good Luck, Alexis.

LOUISE,

THANK YOU. You said it all. I tried to just quote points from your brilliant summary of all the important underlying issues that you nailed and could hardly leave anything out. This statement particularly jumped out at me:

"Even if they keep the dog out of my yard, even if they keep the dog from chasing after people in the streets…
    ... they’re still willingly allowing their dogs and, by extension, themselves, to occupy MY space. They are forcing themselves on the rest of us.
    "

That really brilliantly captures the core issue.

If I imagine myself letting a dog bark unrestrained day and night, it would feel like I was deliberately attacking all my neighbors too.

You're also right about feeling helpless, trapped and what the only courses of action are. I think the law should be tightened and much further defined, but could be quickly effective if the issuance of tickets was started.

The problem for Animal Control apparently is a lot of people lying about their neighbors, really making it difficult for the people not lying, hence their requirement for 2 or 3 people willing to complain and testify in court down the line if necessary.

But a solution could be introducing money into the equation... and common sense. If a complaint is made and an officer arrives hearing an unattended outside dog chronically barking just like the complaint, no further proof necessary for a ticket.

Money = motivation to control your dog. No personality change required.

Also, it was REALLY helpful and encouraging for me to hear your story about how so many others nearby felt the same but were being silent until someone spoke up.

From all these posts and conversations with Animal Control, it seems that this issue is a pervasive problem that needs more of a spotlight. I'm hoping this thread will also get more either uncaring or unthinking dog owners to rethink and maybe do someone some good for someone else too.

THANK YOU BIGTIME,
    Alexia

33. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

34. TopTop #20
    Connubial Warthog

I live in Forestville where evidently it is mandatory that every household have at least one and preferably two or three dogs. It wasn't always like that around here. when i first moved here it was dead quiet most days and even more importantly, nights. Many of these animals are left all day in confined areas, kennels or decks and have nothing to do but bark all day, being triggered by every unseen sound and each other.

But whats really amazing is that most dog owners won't control their animals barking even when they are home! I have often wondered if they like the sound of their dogs barking or if they are simply oblivious to it. It's gotten to the point where what was once a relatively quiet neighborhood has been dubbed "kennel canyon" by one of my neighbors.

Yes, there are a couple of major offenders, but really, there are now too many to easily single out one main culprit. It's gotten to the point where if there are only 2 or three going off, I consider that the "new normal." But in my heart, it is not OK with me.

I have tried writing to a couple of neoghbors concerning this and even tried speaking with one in particular, but apparently they would rather be on good terms with their animals than their neighbors. There have been complaints made, but Animal control doesn't seem as responsive to calls from west county. It's very frustrating and there have been times when I have thought I might have a better chance at finding a quieter home in a suburban neighborhood inside an incorporated town. Just a couple of thoughts.

Thanks for all your thoughtful contributions to a civil discussion that often gets swept under the table or shouted down by "entitled" dog owners.

35. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

36. TopTop #21
    citizenkane

Here we are in downtown Forestville. Behind El Molino Pharmacy.

Dogs barking incessantly, for hours, but when spoken to owner became hostile and said our music bothers her. Tit for Tat. Nothing we can do. I tell the person it bothers the most to keep the log and record. I have been threatened repeatedly by dog owners that defend their dog chasing my ducks and chickens. My emus have been attacked by neighbor dogs and the owner was yelled at me for having them. It does give dog owners a bad name. Do you get a dog just to keep it in the back yard? Dogs in Europe are socialized better than here so they can go out in public....Oh well. What can I say. Currently not my biggest worry.

37. TopTop #22
    Dr Pam

So far the focus has been on getting the dog owner to do the right thing. That's definitely the high road, but it can take such a long time, and cause so much stress and so many sleepless nights.

This may not work as well in the country where yards are large, but in the city, try the supersonic bark stop gizmos like this:

https://www.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/...Fc6DQgodBBcA7Q

These are pretty darn good. They have to be within fifty feet of the dog, so you can usually mount them on your side of the fence. You can set them to be silent to humans, or to make noise, either way. They don't work with all dogs, but most dogs shut up pretty quick.

I am surrounded by five yappy dogs. I have a point and shoot one to use when I'm in the back yard. The batteries wear out fast on these. The plug-in model can be installed on the fence and forgotten. You do get what you pay for, so spend the money the first time. A good one is still under $100.

Ahhh blessed silence.

Dr Pam

38. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

39. TopTop #23
    Shandi

Regarding Barking...the best solution I've seen offered!

Finally, someone has made a suggestion that makes a solution possible! If several people in the neighborhood got these, it might solve the problem. Dogs need discipline, and since these dogs aren't getting any from the owners, someone else needs to do it.....for their own sanity. This is about behavior modification, and these bark controlers seem like an idea whose time has come!

If you've tired one, and it didn't work, try a different one. There are many on the market. Even if it costs $100, isn't your mental and physical health worth it?

Many people that have dogs aren't responsible owners, that's why the Dog Whisperer is so much in demand. I've known so many dog owners that allowed their dogs to rule them.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dr Pam: View Post
    So far the focus has been on getting the dog owner to do the right thing. That's definitely the high road, but it can take such a long time, and cause so much stress and so many sleepless nights.

This may not work as well in the country where yards are large, but in the city, try the supersonic bark stop gizmos like this:

These are pretty darn good. They have to be within fifty feet of the dog, so you can usually mount them on your side of the fence. You can set them to be silent to humans, or to make noise, either way. They don't work with all dogs, but most dogs shut up pretty quick.

I am surrounded by five yappy dogs. I have a point and shoot one to use when I'm in the back yard. The batteries wear out fast on these. The plug-in model can be installed on the fence and forgotten. You do get what you pay for, so spend the money the first time. A good one is still under $100.

Ahhh blessed silence.

Dr Pam

40. Gratitude expressed by:

41. TopTop #24
    Connubial Warthog

Quote Posted in reply to the post by lili22: View Post
    I bought an ultrasonic/sonic barker breaker about 10 years ago and set it up in my yard on a long pole so it would be higher than the fence. At the time it was $60 -the best one I could find with the longest range (50 ft). My mean, insensitive neighbor came over to my property and smashed it to pieces when I wasn't home (I still have the pieces) I had to call the police and she was charged with vandalism. There have been many other chronic problems of invasive noise besides dogs- idling trucks, hammering metal for hours, etc. These are the kind of people she and her resident friends are. It's very difficult to deal with the county about these issues. I've tried.
    Well in my case, these dogs are across a canyon or in a kennel across the street. Either way, too far for an ultrasonic device to work. I don't understand why neighbors object to bark collars. I understand the new ones just use a vibration, not an electric shock and that they discourage barking quite quickly and effectively, essentially training the dog not to bark. But it seems most dog owners resist placing them on their dogs because...it might hurt them? I really don't know- many vets recommend them.

42. Gratitude expressed by:

43. TopTop #25
    Dixon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MalletKatMandu: View Post
    ...they discourage barking quite quickly and effectively, essentially training the dog not to bark. But it seems most dog owners resist placing them on their dogs because...it might hurt them? I really don't know...
    I think many (most?) dog owners have dogs precisely because they do bark, thus making them pretty good burglar etc. alarms. So a solution to the barking problem that stops the dogs entirely from barking wouldn't work for them.

44. TopTop #26
    Connubial Warthog

I think many (most?) dog owners have dogs precisely because they do bark, thus making them pretty good burglar etc. alarms. So a solution to the barking problem that stops the dogs entirely from barking wouldn't work for them.
    But since most of these dogs bark at any and everything that makes a sound or moves, and as the owners seem not to respond to their barking when at home, more often that not completely ignoring it, how effective are they as a burglar alarm? Even if the owners are not at home, no one would note the barking as unusual in the neighborhood. Granted, the barking could scare off a burglar, but not necessarily.

45. Gratitude expressed by:

46. TopTop #27
    Dixon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MalletKatMandu: View Post
    But since most of these dogs bark at any and everything that makes a sound or moves, and as the owners seem not to respond to their barking when at home, more often that not completely ignoring it, how effective are they as a burglar alarm? Even if the owners are not at home, no one would note the barking as unusual in the neighborhood. Granted, the barking could scare off a burglar, but not necessarily.
    Yup, that's the irony of it. The dog who cried wolf!

47. Gratitude expressed by:

48. TopTop #28
    msl

I checked this website out. While I don't think it would work for everyone sounding off on this topic, I do think it would work for many. I'm seriously thinking of getting one. There's still the question/issue of getting animal control to do something, etc. I do think that another starting place is to let us all know that certain dog owners do not respond to polite requests for consideration. I think that polite requests should be the first action to be taken. But if you see nothing changing, then it's time to stop being so nice and to let the owner/s know you're upset about this.

In the case of my neighbor across the street and even the guy who's dog would start barking at 6 in the morning, any time anyone says anything, there's this "Oh, sorry, I'll get right on it", or "Yeah, we're really trying to do something about that...sorry". And here's the deal: When you hear that about 5 times, yet nothing changes, the apology is hot air. Unless you see and hear that person telling the dog to stop right then and there, the person is doing nothing except trying to get you to be nice, shut up, and move on.

49. Gratitude expressed by:

50. TopTop #29

Thank you. I've read varying reviews of these and have been hesitant, but the companies stay in business so it must work under some conditions. On bark collars, I know the pet stores have a 30 day try it out policy and no questions asked returns if they don't work, maybe these too. I'll try it.

51. TopTop #30
    Connubial Warthog

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Alexia: View Post
    Thank you. I've read varying reviews of these and have been hesitant, but the companies stay in business so it must work under some conditions. On bark collars, I know the pet stores have a 30 day try it out policy and no questions asked returns if they don't work, maybe these too. I'll try it.
    Huge important thing is these things really only work effectively at pretty close range, often closer than the compny purports maximal effective distance to be. If the dogs are really close you should definitely give it a try.