Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Newsletter from Robert Jacob - Vice Mayor of Sebastopol

Here's a good recap of the first month of the Sebastopol's new City Council - Barry

It's been a busy month and the campaign and holiday dust has finally settled. As promised, the new year brings the start of one of my most important goals: ongoing communication with you to share the great work of our city and newly formed council.

Look for my emails following the first city council meetings of each month -- they're every first and third Tuesday - please join us when you can! Check out the meeting schedule, agendas, and minutes here. Finally, please feel free to share this email with friends and neighbors who may also like to stay connected and informed - forward this email or use the button at the bottom of this message.

I've received hundreds of emails since taking post last month. Be assured, even though I haven't yet been able to reply to every message, I have indeed seen them all. I appreciate your insights on the bunya bunya tree, an important Sebastopol landmark. I had the opportunity to meet with the Barlow representative and I will continue to reach out to Caltrans and work to save this hundred year-old tree.

Recent major accomplishments and developments for Sebastopol:

1. The City Council officially hired Larry McLaughlin as our City Manager. Larry has served three times as our city's Interim City Manager and has worked for Sebastopol for 27 years. He lives here locally and is a perfect fit as our next City Manager.

2. Appointed two new members to the Planning Commission - Russ Pinto and Scot Stegeman. Russ brings his land-use and conservation expertise to the table and Scot is an environmental quality consultant. Their combined experience will lend much needed perspective and consideration to the Planning Commission. Please join me in welcoming and thanking them for their service to the city.

3. Passed the Vulnerable Users Ordinance, further protecting pedestrians and bicyclists. This is a first for Sonoma County, and will not be the last.

4. Authorized staff to amend zoning text to allow office space use at the Barlow, helping local jobs by attracting higher paying employers.

5. Passed a drive-through urgency ordinance while we examine impact on emissions, pedestrian safety, and businesses in our Downtown Core. This passed by a unanimous vote of the City Council.
    All this and more in just a month's work! I'm honored to collaborate with a talented and hard-working city staff and extended team, and I couldn't wish for a better council.

I'm fortunate to work with Mayor Kyes, whose courage and honesty inspire me. Councilmember Sarah Glade Gurney continues to be an experienced role model, and I'm impressed by her professionalism and in-depth examination of all issues. Councilmember Slater never fails to bring unique insight and clarity to complex challenges, and I'm ever excited to work with Councilmember Eder. His fresh perspectives are a real asset for Sebastopol. My thanks to the council, staff, and greater community who keep the wheels of our community rolling and greased.

The council extended the selection of new members of the Design Review Board to ensure we have a broad base of candidates from whom to select. Please visit the city website here for more information on these and other board and commission openings.

Also, City Manager Larry McLaughlin is beginning work with the State Board of Equalization to implement Measure Y, our local sales tax measure. Thanks to Mayor Kyes' work getting this on the ballot and Councilmember Sarah Glade Gurney's tireless support of this effort, we will be able to stop further cuts, maintain our roads and public services, and financially stabilize our city by rebuilding our reserves. My sincere thanks to all involved for ensuring the financial well-being of our city.

Finally, Governor Brown proposed the 2013-2014 budget for California. It reflects many important changes. It's vital that our state legislature hear from you. View the proposed budget summary here and contact your state representatives with feedback.

California State Assembly, 10th District, Marc Levine - contact
    California State Senate, 2nd District, Noreen Evans - contact

Please continue to keep me and the other councilmembers in the know -- tell us what irks you, what you love, what's important to you, and please let us know if you'd like to be more involved. Contact information for the entire council is below.

In parting, I'd like to remind you of the role we all play in shaping our community. Our council is uniquely poised to handle vital community- shaping decisions in the coming years. Thankfully, we have an incredible team of staff, committees, volunteers, and community members to help Sebastopol stay on the right track. It's important that we all work actively to build bridges and be proactive to make a positive impact -- not just pointing fingers, but taking action. To realize the community we know we can be, we must embody what we
    love and cherish about Sebastopol.

Until next month,

Robert Jacob

Sebastopol City Council contact information:

Mayor Michael Kyes - [email protected]
    Vice Mayor Robert Jacob - [email protected]
    Councilmember John Eder - [email protected]
    Councilmember Sarah Glade Gurney - [email protected]
    Councilmember Patrick Slater - [email protected]

PS: Like my Facebook page for ongoing updates.

Sebastopol Vice Mayor Robert Jacob
    [email protected] - 707.861.9272
    708 Gravenstein Hwy. N, #324 Sebastopol, CA 95472 FPPC# 1348248

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Newsletter from Robert Jacob - Vice Mayor of Sebastopol

Time flies when you're having fun! My first month email blast received a great response - thank you so much for your support and ideas.

Let's dive right in. Since my last update, here's what the Sebastopol City Council has been up to:

1. Design Review Board Appointments - We appointed three members to the Design Review Board (DRB). We reappointed our DRB Chair of the last two years, Zachary Douch, a Sebastopol businessman, President of the Board of Directors of the Sebastopol Independent Charter School, and member of the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT). We also appointed Ted Luthin, an architect and partner of Ross Luthin Creative since 2000, who does environmental graphic design. As an alternate DRB member we appointed Christine Level, a California registered Civil Engineer, tutor and teacher's aide at Apple Blossom School, and teacher of animal husbandry. Please join me in welcoming our new DRB members and thanking Chair Douch for his continued service to Sebastopol.

2. Community Service Appreciation - The City Council provided certificates of appreciation to former Design Review Board members Peter Schurch and Craig Boblitt, former Business Outreach Committee members Sue Ungewitter and Carl Kerwick, and to outgoing Planning Commissioner Clare Najarian.

3. Local Heroes Endure - We proudly recognized 10 years of service to firefighters Steve Salkovics and James Jorgensen. Thank you for your commitment to keeping our community safe!

4. Apple Blossom 2013 - The 67th annual Apple Blossom Parade and Festival will take place April 20th and 21st. The theme is Hometown Reunion. Come on out and support our local community and celebrate. Thank you to the Chamber and other volunteers for all your hard work to make this most important annual event a continuing success. For event schedule and information about participating in the parade, click here.

5. Ives Pool - Aquatic Director Ricardo Freitas gave us an excellent update on the programs of Ives Pool. Ives Pool was open 364 days last year and provided services to the community with 14 different swim programs, and generated 215,000 KWH to date with its rooftop solar power system. Come out with the family for a dip! Learn more about Ives Pool hours and programs at www.ivespool.org.

6. Sebastopol Area Senior Center - Executive Director Terry Kelley gave us a report on the Sebastopol Area Senior Center, which through the incredible support of volunteers and contributors, provides activities, classes, events, transportation, and resources for adults of all ages in Sebastopol and the greater West County community. Upcoming events include the second LGBT & Friends Dance Social on Saturday, February 23rd at 6:30pm at the Sebastopol Senior Center at 167 North High Street. Learn more at www.sebastopolseniorcenter.org.

7. City Landscape Project - Sebastopol authorized a Library & City Hall landscape project with a group of community volunteers. Thank you to volunteers Erik Ohlsen, of Permaculture Artisans, and Robert Berg for their donated professional services to help Councilmember Sarah Glade Gurney and me lead this upgrade. We need donations to make the plan a reality. Email me to get involved!

8. Sebastopol Walks - The Sebastopol Walks program continues in its 6th year of promoting local culture, good health, a strong community, protected environment, and demonstrates these successes in our local best-seller, Sebastopol Walks by community member Richard Nichols.

9. West Sebastopol Gateway Upgrade - The City Council authorized Caltrans to proceed with the HWY 12 East bridge upgrade. They have agreed to design the bridge to accommodate a future Laguna Trail connection and incorporate a more aesthetic design for our vital city gateway. They will make sidewalk improvements on City property, install a new bus stop, and install pedestals for future gateway features. The downside is road closures. Thankfully, the plan includes a maximum of only 20 days of full highway closures over the 2 years of construction. Other councilmembers and I were insistent that closures only be done during non-peak hours of 10:00pm and 6:00am. They have a public information program in place to make sure that you stay informed of construction activities that may affect you. Make a bookmark to the Caltrans information program page here.

10. Balanced Budget - We completed the mid-year budget update and our revenues are in-line with our expenditures. I will continue to advocate for replenishing our reserves, which helped us move through the recent fiscal crisis.

11. City Goals - We had our annual goals setting session which was a very productive and enjoyable meeting. One thing that rose to the top were continuing to develop and enhance pedestrian and bicycle safety improvements and to continue to develop the financial stability of our city finances. This is an ongoing process. Please continue to let me know what you would like to see improved and prioritized for our city.

12. Laguna Vista Decision Postponed - The Council voted to postpone a decision around the proposed Laguna Vista development project until February 19th to ensure we're equipped with all relevant information to make a smart decision that keeps Sebastopol's best interests at heart.

13. Bunya Bunya Tree - My continued appreciation for all of you for speaking up about our beloved bunya bunya tree at the entrance of town. I spoke with a representative from the Barlow Project and they are continuing to work with Caltrans to do everything they can to keep our tree. The removal request has been postponed until they receive a response from Caltrans. During my research, I found this amazing video of what one community did to save a 100-year old tree in their community, threatened by a necessary road expansion. Check it out here: The Ghirardi Compton Oak.

Thanks again to all of you who share your ideas and support with me. I need your input to help lead Sebastopol in the right direction. Please continue to be in touch.

Until next month,
    Robert Jacob

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Greetings!

I can hardly believe another month flew by since my last update. I hope you're enjoying the cleansing rain and sunshine as much as I am!

Without further ado, here are Sebastopol City Council and community updates this month:

1. Council Approves Endangered Meadowfoam Study. The Council approved a Request for Proposal for a consultant to conduct a biological study over the next two years of the local and endangered meadowfoam at the Laguna Vista site. The developers are continuing with their Environmental Impact Report. The City is tracking to consider this project again in 2014.

2. It's official! Larry McLaughlin is Sebastopol's new City Manager. We finalized the contract with City Manager Larry McLaughlin. His expertise and long-standing career with the City of Sebastopol makes him a huge asset for our town. Institutional memory helps our city organization run efficiently and thrive, as demonstrated by Sebastopol weathering this last economic storm. Our city was able to maintain basic city services with minimal cuts to our budget. Truly, our City staff make Sebastopol a great place to live, shop, and be.

3. Testing Sebastopol water quality. The Council approved pilot tests on two of our wells to improve water quality for our residents. This effort will also work to secure grants through the USDA to assist with the costs to keep our well system in good standing. We are fortunate that the City of Sebastopol is in control of our own water sources, and we are the only city in Sonoma County that does not have a contract to import drinking water.

4. Moving towards Zero Waste. The Council received a report from Sonoma County Waste Management about last year's programs and Sebastopol's impacts on waste and recycling generation. We generated 9,567 tons of garbage to the landfill, which equates to about 3.5 pounds per person per day. Even though we have a long way to go toward reaching "Zero Waste", we have improved. For example, in 2005 our average was over 6 pounds per person per day. Here is the link to learn more about this important local agency: https://www.recyclenow.org/

5. Sebastopol World Friends. Sebastopol's Sister City, Takeo City of Japan (formerly Yamauchi), will have 30 visitors coming to Sebastopol on Saturday, March 23rd. They will be visiting City Hall and other places of interest in Sebastopol. Please give them a warm konnichiwa when you see them in town. To get involved in Sebastopol World Friends and to collaborate with our Ukrainian and Japanese Sister Cities please visit: https://sebastopolwf.org/

6. Ives Park Renovation. After an incredibly diligent effort of the Planning Commission, the Council passed the Ives Park Renovation project! Stewards of Calder Creek were able to advocate successfully for many restoration details to the creek. There will be new bathrooms and a playground. The most important piece of the $3.7MM project is "daylighting" the creek, transforming it from a chain link-fenced mini cement canal to a beautiful, usable, recreational water feature. While the design features this and many other significant changes, the commission and team involved managed to maintain the essence of this important community destination. Councilmember Patrick Slater put it well, "it's still our Ives Park." Thank you to Robert Brent, President of the Board of the Sebastopol Center for the Arts, who came to last night's meeting in support of the project. You can learn more here at the City website.

7. Sewer Lateral Ordinance. As Sebastopol grows, so too does the cost of transporting and treating the waste water we produce. Sewer rates have increased substantially and, ironically, even as we conserve water, the cost of moving that water and the resulting waste doesn't change and can even increase. As such, Sebastopol is looking to several strategies to improve the system and resulting costs. The City has been working on an ordinance that would change several aspects of our sewage system. The Council heard over 75 testimonials via email, letters, and public comment regarding the sewer lateral ordinance. The most contentious issue was the proposal to change responsibility for sewer laterals - the portion of the sewer pipe that runs from the property to the sewer main - from the City to the property owner. Many members of the community pointed out the socioeconomic implications of this proposal and the financial burden it would place on every property owner, including working families, out of work families, and those on fixed incomes. Further discussion on the proposal has been postponed for a future meeting to ensure that the Council has opportunity to investigate the effects of this decision in more detail.

8. Railroad Forest blackberry clean-up. An incredible team of community volunteers led by Lynn Deedler made a huge dent in the blackberry bushes at Railroad Forest, making Calder Creek evermore visible to visitors on the Joe Rodata Trail in Sebastopol.We need more volunteers! Join the crew THIS SATURDAY for the last community Working Party! Here are the details - show up or email Yvonne Fernandez ([email protected] ) or call Lynn Deedler (823-3309) for more information.

Working Party - Saturday, March 9th from 9am - 3pm
    Come for as long as you can, as any amount of time you can volunteer to help
    is appreciated.

Project Location: Start at the Joe Rodata trail on Petaluma Avenue by Hop Monk
    and you will find signage as you start heading east on the trail.

Be sure to bring some gardening gloves and if you have a rake, bring it along too!
    Other suggested items include: sunglasses, hat, sunscreen, long sleeved clothing
    and close-toed shoes.

Water and some light refreshments to replenish your energy will be provided!

Why the long sleeves? This area is prime for ticks! Learn more from community Lyme expert, Linda Berg, who hosts weekly Tick Talk Tuesdays. Call Linda (824-8417) to learn more.
    9. Smart Meter installations on hold. The community turned out in rare force over the controversial PG&E Smart Meters being installed in Sebastopol. Last year, the City requested that PG&E hold off on installing the meters until the California Public Utilities Commission makes a final determination on device safety, fees, and privacy concerns. PG&E ignored our request and the City Council held an emergency meeting on 2/21, approving a resolution and urgency ordinance stopping the installation of Smart Meters in our community until Phase 2 of the CPUC's study is complete.

CALENDAR
    Here are a few quick upcoming events I'd like to share - be sure to visit the wealth of community bulletin boards and calendars under COMMUNITY RESOURCES at the end of this email; a new, recurring section of these community update messages.

Wow! What a month! I'm grateful to be part of such an active and progressive community. Please keep sending me your thoughts and ideas, and share this list with friends and neighbors!

Until next month,
    Robert Jacob

PS: Like my Facebook page

COMMUNITY RESOURCES

Event calendars, fun, information, & more!

WaccoBB Community Calendar
    Sebastopol Center for the Arts
    Sebastopol Community Cultural Center
    Sebastopol Area Senior Center
    Ives Pool
    City of Sebastopol
    City Landscape Project - We need volunteers and donations! Email me to get involved!
    Sebastopol Walks
    West Sebastopol Gateway Upgrade - Caltrans information program page

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #4
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Greetings!,

It's that time again. Every month seems to go by faster than the last!

Nothing quite prepares a councilperson to serve as simply being in the role. I'm evaluating all the great opportunities afforded to me as a councilmember and am having a hard time picking and choosing how I can best serve our community. There are just too many things I want to do and not enough time to do them all (effectively)!

Big thanks to Councilmember Sarah Glade Gurney for keeping me up-to-date when the flu kept me from this week's council meeting. A handy reminder to all to eat well, hydrate, and stay healthy! Now, on to the updates...

1. Budget Subcommittee. Mayor Kyes and I are getting heavy into the detail work preparing the 2013/14 city budget. Karen Cano, our Administrative Services Director, is doing an amazing job of feeding us numbers to develop a balanced budget. It's a challenge to fit it all in! Stay tuned for upcoming public meetings over the next couple of months to share your ideas about city expenditures.

2. Community Outreach Role. The City Council approved drafting a Request For Proposal for an Outreach/Communications position with the city. This is an exciting decision that will help build a strong, informed community. We work hard to create great programs and share the events and attractions that make Sebastopol unique. Filling this role will help Sebastopol spread the word, attract visitors, and develop our economic vitality. This is one way we can move forward in being more inclusive and communicating better with all about current events and news in Sebastopol and greater West County. Keep your eyes peeled for the RFP if you have ideas about keeping the greater Sebastopol community informed. In the end, we're all responsible for making Sebastopol a success!

3. Occupy Sebastopol Day.
    This Sunday, 4/7, come down to the Town Plaza for fresh, immune-boosting produce, then stick around for the Occupy Sebastopol Day celebration at 2pm. Last month, the City Council unanimously approved a resolution recognizing the efforts of Occupy Sebastopol and dedicating the northeast corner of the plaza as an area dedicated to promoting freedom of speech. Bring the family and join us!

4. Sebastopol World Friends
    . A group of community members and elementary students from our Sister City, Takeo City of Japan (formerly Yamauchi) visited Sebastopol last month. We got together at City Hall and had a great time chatting about our oddly similar small-town characteristics. I learned a few Japanese words, and gleaned invaluable insight around building local community with global vision.

5. Sewer Lateral Ordinance.
    The proposed sewer lateral ordinance was moved to the 5/21 City Council Meeting agenda. Please attend and/or email the council with your thoughts.

6. Railroad Forest blackberry clean-up.
    Check out this great update from Lynn Deedler, an amazing community member who has spearheaded the beautification of Railroad Forest:

"The season is over for the Railroad Forest Blackberry Cleanup. It went well. Actually
    , very well. We removed the blackberries, broken willows and a ton of trash from an area the size of Ives Park. The area looks quite lovely. Nearly everyone who has passed by it has stopped to tell us how much they appreciate the work. Most people remarked about not knowing there was a creek. Significantly, the second most heard remark was, 'it feels so much safer.'

Thirty volunteers, most of them in the grey hair age range, put in time over six work days, with usually ten or so working at a time. Nearly all remained working longer than they planned. They liked working on something that makes a difference to the community. And I loved being back on a tractor going after walls of blackberry.

Some invasive vegetation was left in place including acacia trees, scotch broom, and random areas of blackberries, etc. This was primarily for aesthetics, to leave a natural feel to the area. It would look empty and far less attractive if all the invasive plants had been removed up to the fence. Once new more desirable planting takes hold these invasive plants can be eased out in an evolving process.

Many thanks to Lynn and our incredible volunteers and other contributors who made this space more enjoyable for all.
    7. Solar Ordinance. The City Council is considering a proposal to mandate incorporating solar power into new construction projects. There's lots of debate around this idea, and we need your input! This would be an extension of the Solar Sebastopol program, which paved the way for Solar Sonoma County. Once again, Sebastopol is on the leading edge of cutting greenhouse gas emissions. The City Council has reviewed the proposed ordinance and sent it back to subcommittee for some adjustments. We're looking forward to it coming back in front of the council in late May or early June. This is the type of policy I joined the council for - truly awesome regulation!

8. Fluoridation. There's lots of talk going around as the County moves toward fluoridation. Sebastopol is fortunate enough to run its own water district and continues to be fluoride free! Be assured, fluoridation simply isn't on the horizon for our city!

9. Sebastopol's future Community Market. The Barlow will feature Sebastopol's very own Community Market, operated by the long-standing Santa Rosa grocery who features local, healthful food options. Help them bring more quality choices to Sebastopol by supporting the Community Market fundraiser.

10. Library/City Hall Landscape project.
    The Sonoma West published a great article about the upcoming landscaping project. We need funds and volunteers! Check out the full article here.

11. My fifth month preview: Office hours! Stay tuned next month to hear about my upcoming drop-in office hours, to give all community members the opportunity to have a conversation about the future of our city.

CALENDAR
    Upcoming events I'd like to share - be sure to visit the wealth of community bulletin boards and calendars under COMMUNITY RESOURCES at the end of this email.

Thanks again for your input and participation. Here's to a bright and healthy spring. Everyone do a rain dance (except on parade day)!

Until next month,
    Robert Jacob

COMMUNITY RESOURCES
    Event calendars, fun, information, & more!

WaccoBB Community Calendar
    Sebastopol Center for the Arts
    Sebastopol Community Cultural Center
    Sebastopol Area Senior Center
    Ives Pool
    City of Sebastopol
    City Landscape Project - We need volunteers and donations! Email me to get involved!
    Sebastopol Walks
    Luther Burbank's Experiment Farm
    West Sebastopol Gateway Upgrade - Caltrans information program page

8. Gratitude expressed by: