Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Philip Tymon

Thank You to Those Who Helped Me In Camp Meeker This Morning!

On my way into work at about 8:15 am this morning, my pickup hit an extremely slippery patch of ice on Bohemian Highway just in front of the post office, did a 180 degree turn, and ended up with my front wheel in the deep ditch on the side of the road and my truck blocking one lane of the road at a very dangerous and slippery curve in the road. Frankly, I was amazed that I was still alive.

I could not get cell phone service and the situation was very dangerous--- anyone coming along and braking suddenly would almost certainly skid, causing a disaster.

A very kind woman came along and, using her cell phone I was able to call AAA and while I was doing that she was alerting approaching traffic on one end while I alerted approaching traffic on the other end. This took a good chunk out of her day on a cold morning and put her at some risk to stand out there in the road.

Then a guy came along with a large 4-wheel drive truck and hooked a rope to my truck and pulled me out of the ditch before the AAA truck came, finally ending the dangerous situation. To my complete amazement, my truck still worked, seemed completely undamaged, and I was able to drive away.

So, my deepest thanks to the woman and man (neither of whose names I got) for helping me out of a potentially disasterous situation, despite the risk it put both of you at. My faith in humanity is, at least partially, restored. May I pass on the thoughtfulness and consideration to someone else in need of help.

And my thanks to Providence for my extremely good fortune this morning to escape unscathed from such a near miss.

And to everyone--- drive slowly and carefully and pay attention on these cold, icy mornings!! You may get there 5 minutes later, but you'll get there.

Philip Tymon
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    sd gross

Re: Thank You to Those Who Helped Me In Camp Meeker This Morning!

Dear Phil

I'm very happy to hear you're still among us, your faith in humanity has been somewhat restored, no one was injured and your truck continues to roll along. Considering you're about as curmudgeonly as I am, I imagine it would take something like this to promote a bit of restoration. Incidences of unsolicited aid are unfortunately few and far between, but when it happens, it is indeed a restorative and encouraging experience.

My last such incident occurred a few years ago when Gloria and I, along with a friend visiting from Hamilton, Ont. drove down to Golden Gate Park to visit the Arboretum. Glo parked her older but lovely Lexus near the De Young and we crossed the street. Realizing I'd left my camera in the trunk borrowed her keys, ran back retrieving it, and rejoined them. We spent 4 or 5 hours rambling and gawking and as we headed back to the car she said, "You still have my keys, don't you?" instantly putting me in a state of shock - because I realized I didn't! I ran the three blocks back to where we'd parked fully expecting a vacant space - but the car was still there. I made to extricate the keys from the trunk lock where I'd left them - but they weren't there either. No keys, locked car.....at a loss what to do...and then I spotted a piece of paper under a windshield wipe.

"I have your keys, call me at (a local phone number)". No cell phone, about a mile from a pay phone so I stopped a couple walking by, asked if they had a cell phone I could use, and they did! Called the number feeling much relief - but I got an answering machine! I returned the phone wondering what to do next. Calling AAA would get us in the car but we had no key with which to drive. Ten minutes later, the couple whose phone we borrowed came trotting back to tell us the key-finder had just called their cell and told them the keys were on the ground on the inside of the driver's side front tire!

So I received a restorative dose as well!
    When I got home I looked at the number so I could call and thank the man, and it turned out to be his current registration - which I immediately mailed back with huge appreciation.
    So thrilled there are still folks around willing to bail out folks they've never met before!
    Stay safe, slow down, see you around the neighborhood.
    stephen
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

3. Gratitude expressed by 6 members: