Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    The Barlow

Artist's spaces at The Barlow

QUESTION TO THE LOCAL ARTIST COMMUNITY: Would you be interested in renting small spaces through an artist's co-op here at The Barlow? If so, what kind of space needs would you have and what kind of artist's budget would you need us to work with? We've heard a need, we just need more specifics. We're all ears!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Thad

Re: Artist's spaces at The Barlow

Quote Posted in reply to the post by The Barlow: View Post
    QUESTION TO THE LOCAL ARTIST COMMUNITY: Would you be interested in renting small spaces through an artist's co-op here at The Barlow? If so, what kind of space needs would you have and what kind of artist's budget would you need us to work with? We've heard a need, we just need more specifics. We're all ears!
    https://www.techshop.ws/

Would it be possible?

TechShop is a playground for creativity. Part fabrication and prototyping studio, part hackerspace, part learning center, TechShop offers access to over $1 million worth of professional equipment and software. We provide comprehensive instruction and expert staff to ensure you have a meaningful and rewarding experience. Most importantly, TechShop is a hub where you can explore the world of making with the motivational support of a vibrant and creative community.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-05-2012 at 06:27 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    dbnawrocki6

I would love that option! I am a young artist (twenty-something) and could probably only afford a couple hundred dollars a month. I know most of my artist friends would be able to do the same. Perhaps have different options for different costs? That way, if someone just wants some space and not necessarily an entire studio to themselves, that can happen. I know a lot of artists who just want the opportunity to create around other artists, so perhaps even divide up a single room into four equal spaces that four artists could utilize? These are all just thoughts....

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #4
    sandy r

I like option of smallish (but well lit studio spaces), and larger ones to share...and wonder if they might be open for possible sales during open studios/other times...

definitely good to have art a part of the planning...

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #5
    The Barlow

Sounds like an interesting idea. If you're interested, contact our leasing director Amee ([email protected]). You can share more about your business plans and ideas via email.

Thanks for the interest.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Thad: View Post

Would it be possible?

TechShop is a playground for creativity. Part fabrication and prototyping studio, part hackerspace, part learning center, TechShop offers access to over $1 million worth of professional equipment and software. We provide comprehensive instruction and expert staff to ensure you have a meaningful and rewarding experience. Most importantly, TechShop is a hub where you can explore the world of making with the motivational support of a vibrant and creative community.

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #6
    biannoli

Great idea...I would definitely be interested in a small space, not much, I am a writer. Keep us informed and thanks.

12. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

13. TopTop #7

This is similar to my idea for a "Green Garage" or "Idea Shop". Invest local & let's make it so!

Contact Robert Porter and expand his idea for the Sonoma Science and Art Center.

We can create something like the Exploratorium to get kids involved in start-ups and prototyping, with a focus on improved living and working by creating goods and services which have less detrimental impact than what's currently available.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Thad: View Post

Would it be possible?

14. Gratitude expressed by:

15. TopTop #8
    The Barlow

We would love to have artists who occupy the space come together in a cooperative to decide how those artists want to interact with the community (showings/sales).

We hope this idea can get off the ground with a leader in the artist community that can help organize the space and it's functionality. We're putting it out there.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sandy r: View Post
    I like option of smallish (but well lit studio spaces), and larger ones to share...and wonder if they might be open for possible sales during open studios/other times...

definitely good to have art a part of the planning...

16. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

17. TopTop #9
    Thad

We would love to have artists who occupy the space come together in a cooperative to decide how those artists want to interact with the community (showings/sales).

We hope this idea can get off the ground with a leader in the artist community that can help organize the space and it's functionality. We're putting it out there.
    I don't know who a leader is, herding cats comes to mind, but there is someone I would like to nominate as having enough interest and scope to fill the mantle of such a creature.

https://plus.google.com/+DaleDougherty/about

With no expectation they would be willing, I nominate Dale Dougherty, producer of make magazine as pro tem leader

18. TopTop #10
    hezsez

Quote Posted in reply to the post by biannoli: View Post
    Great idea...I would definitely be interested in a small space, not much, I am a writer. Keep us informed and thanks.
    Hi. I am glad I saw this post -This idea has been under discussion within the larger (Harmony Festival and MBL) community for sometime. There have been several attempts to organize such a thing which have all fallen by the wayside in favor of working out of barns and garages (Like I do at the Satellite Art Station), because there was not a financial model that was working. IE...no affordable rent for artists who eeek by on nothing.

As a community arts organizer it has been an education as to the sensitivity and total lack of understanding between artists and capitalism. Many artists just do not have the skill sets to build an audience, sell their work, get a style that sells, and make it a living as per according to the rents in the real estate market. The economy has not helped. Thank goodness for the generosity of the greater community who offer up spare garages, barns and buildings we can use as studios.

Many gallery owners do not want to risk their futures on community based art that is often whim to fad- though very popular. many artists are forced to do art part time to pay the rent by working in another industry. We do have a GREAT funk art tradition here in the Bay Area that has defined a movement based on the values of artists, and I think we can all see this immediacy of experience through events like Harmony Fest, Burningman, etc.. and other arts based and events. As for crafts, We even have make magazine in town and they do events everywhere but here.

If Barney wanted to make something like this work- it would be a larger dialogue- so we could reach a mass GROK, but I do think ultimately the Barlow will create some premium space, and maybe create some less expensive spaces for artist to work out of. The best idea for the Barlow may be to have an artist mall style thing- where we have an weekly street market to sell wares or even indoor stalls several artists could split and rent like I know some people are already doing. And educational center could also be great- What is the center for the arts doing? Can we get a grant to cover the space and a director?

The first step would be to hold a forum in this regards to get everyone to weigh in. ACE is available as a non profit if the community can use it. It would be cool of we can make it happen. Barry what about your living room?

19. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

20. TopTop #11
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by hezsez: View Post
    The first step would be to hold a forum in this regards to get everyone to weigh in. ACE is available as a non profit if the community can use it. It would be cool of we can make it happen. Barry what about your living room?
    Unfortunately my living room is no longer available, but finding a space for such a forum shouldn't be difficult.

Somebody(s) need to step forward and organize such a meeting. I'm happy to support it via WaccoBB in any way possible, starting with this thread.

All interested parties should either reply publicly or at least click Gratitude on at least one post in the thread so they can be notified of all future replies. I suggest you post about this thread (use link: https://www.waccobb.net/forums/showt...-at-The-Barlow ) on Facebook too and spread the word!

21. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

22. TopTop #12
    eshakti

I would be interested in sharing a space. There seem to be a few coops around ams not sure how they operate.. I like the location of the BARLOW but could not afford the cost of my own space. For me the cost would need to be low for I am just starting out. I am interested in a meeting to brainstorm - nothing is set in stone and it would be nice to pool ideas and come up with ways that everyone can participate. Please keep us informed. Thanks ...

23. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: