Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    daynurse

History of the wild turkeys?

I thought I once read here about the history of the wild turkeys but can't find it here on WACCO.
    Would make an interesting news story. Anyone know? Do you have reliable references?
    Peggy
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    tammatha

Re: History of the wild turkeys?

Good question, I would love to know too. It comes up often in my line of work being a Realtor. There are on so many Wild Turkeys on properties and open fields etc. in West County. I was once was once told by a seller client I had that lived on Merced Ave near the Laguna that they first showed up in that particular area (they lived there 50 years before selling in 2005). That they were not native to this area and that someone brought them here from another country, can't remember which one. I kind of remember him saying Russia but I could be all wrong in my memory. They were taking over his acreage and street, he very unhappy about it.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by daynurse: View Post
    I thought I once read here about the history of the wild turkeys but can't find it here on WACCO.
    Would make an interesting news story. Anyone know? Do you have reliable references?
    Peggy

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    redheifer

Here is more than you probably ever wanted to know about the California turkey:

https://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunt...urkplan_04.pdf

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

6. TopTop #4
    Indiwren

The "wild turkeys" are actually from Texas: https://www.colintalcroft.com/Sonoma...ld_Turkey.html

Quote Posted in reply to the post by daynurse: View Post
    Peggy

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #5
    terijane

Maybe more than you want to know, but check this out:
    https://creagrus.home.montereybay.com/turkey-in-CA.html

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tammatha: View Post
    Good question, I would love to know too. It comes up often in my line of work being a Realtor. There are on so many Wild Turkeys on properties and open fields etc. in West County. I was once was once told by a seller client I had that lived on Merced Ave near the Laguna that they first showed up in that particular area (they lived there 50 years before selling in 2005). That they were not native to this area and that someone brought them here from another country, can't remember which one. I kind of remember him saying Russia but I could be all wrong in my memory. They were taking over his acreage and street, he very unhappy about it.

9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

10. TopTop #6
    Grace

I have developed a great deal of respect for wild turkeys ever since I watched this documentary My Life As A Turkey. Well worth watching it online - it is 50 minutes long.
    https://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/epis...-episode/7378/

11. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

12. TopTop #7
    terijane

Thank you, Grace! Not only did I watch it, I ordered the dvd for my mom. An enlightening perspective!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Grace: View Post
    I have developed a great deal of respect for wild turkeys ever since I watched this documentary My Life As A Turkey. Well worth watching it online - it is 50 minutes long.
    https://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/epis...-episode/7378/

13. Gratitude expressed by:

14. TopTop #8
    authenticeye

Happy Day of Gratitude to the Wacco Community*
    ~~~

With a wattle like these who could shoosh them away :)

And consider how our perspective might change about our neighbors had this bit of history taken place...

(Benjamin) Franklin's Letter to His Daughter (excerpt)
    "For my own part I wish the Bald Eagle had not been chosen the Representative of our Country. He is a Bird of bad moral Character. He does not get his Living honestly...
    Besides he is a rank Coward: The little King Bird not bigger than a Sparrow attacks him boldly and drives him out of the District. He is therefore by no means a proper Emblem for the brave and honest Cincinnati of America who have driven all the King birds from our Country...
    "I am on this account not displeased that the Figure is not known as a Bald Eagle, but looks more like a Turkey. For the Truth the Turkey is in Comparison a much more respectable Bird, and withal a true original Native of America... He is besides, though a little vain & silly, a Bird of Courage, and would not hesitate to attack a Grenadier of the British Guards who should presume to invade his Farm Yard with a red Coat on."
    https://www.greatseal.com/symbols/turkey.html

Name:  IMG_4647.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  31.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_4649.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  44.1 KB

15. Gratitude expressed by:

16. TopTop #9
    ruthnew

Quote Posted in reply to the post by redheifer: View Post
    Here is more than you probably ever wanted to know about the California turkey:

https://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunt...urkplan_04.pdf
    I always thought they put them here to eat the ticks so we wouldn't have to worry so much about lyme disease. Ruth

17. Gratitude expressed by:

18. TopTop #10
    stuartdole

Gosh - I'd heard the other way around - the west coast ticks didn't used to have much Lyme (only a few percent were positive) because they often dined on lizards, and when they did the lizard blood killed the Lyme. But now the turkeys are eating the lizards, so we're seeing more Lyme...

By the way, I watched the PBS movie "My Life as a Turkey" last night (online) - wow - amazing birds! (And a great film too!) Thanks to whoever posted the link.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ruthnew: View Post
    I always thought they put them here to eat the ticks so we wouldn't have to worry so much about lyme disease. Ruth

19. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

20. TopTop #11
    daynurse

Re: History of the wild turkeys? Now Blue Belly Lizards

Yes, here is the lizard story from a park ranger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvaAu3kebQ0
    btw: got my first tick yesterday after 65 years ... might have been my trek on deer paths in the woods... not a deer tick though ...

21. Gratitude expressed by: