Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    MDStokes

Let's start a Band. A Hard Core alternative, Heavy Metal, Disco, Funk fusion band

Trying to get this think off the ground. I want to start a band. One that plays parties and just creates a super good time. I was thinking of a crazy cstume band that was Part Disco, part death metal and part glam metal. With an hard core alternative ecclectic sound on originals and playing covers. Like turning a Frank Sinatra tune into a hard core rock tune and turing a slayer song into an elevator jazz or Disco tune. The idea is to have everyone costume up at gigs and play a super ecclectic mix of dancable rock, hard core, disco and funk. If this sound like fun to you. contact me.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    peter_vroom

Re: Let's start a Band. A Hard Core alternative, Heavy Metal, Disco, Funk fusion band

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MDStokes:
    I want to start a band. One that plays parties and just creates a super good time. I was thinking of a crazy cstume band that was Part Disco, part death metal and part glam metal. With an hard core alternative ecclectic sound on originals and playing covers. Like turning a Frank Sinatra tune into a hard core rock tune and turing a slayer song into an elevator jazz or Disco tune. The idea is to have everyone costume up at gigs and play a super ecclectic mix of dancable rock, hard core, disco and funk. If this sound like fun to you. contact me.
    let's do it I play bass I have been playing for 7+ years.

3. TopTop #3
    thpwrthtbe

Re: Let's start a Band. A Hard Core alternative, Heavy Metal, Disco, Funk fusion band

sounds like great fun to me. talented musicians putting effort into the common vibe rather than themselves...right up my alley...

benjamin
    drummer 11 yrs

4. TopTop #4
    regyna

sounds like a blast. i probably have enough costumes for all of you :) i've always wanted to be in a funk orchestra...

Kelly
    vocals

5. TopTop #5
    [email protected]

Please don't do this! Think of a better way to make the world a better place. Music is a very powerful and sacred trust and should be in the service of love and beauty only. If you are really determined take five or ten years of your life to study all the forms of this very special art. Develope your skills as a musician and ask our Creator, God if you will,
    to bless your endevors in the service of humanity.

This is no easy task, but believe me the world does not need more so
    called pop music to in the service of human venality, sex, greed, ego, ect. since none of these things are going to bring us real happyness, as you will eventually find out anyway.

Best of luck, in any case...

Sincerely,
    Vince DaLuiso,
    (local musician and music lover)

6. TopTop #6
    Dixon

With all due respect to this guy Vince, don't listen to him--play whatever the fuck you want--preferably LOUD and NASTY! The last thing we need is another spiritual band preaching at us clumsily to the strains of trite, saccharine muzak.

Re: Vince's assertion that music "...should be in the service of love and beauty only", I would assert that using the arts, including music, to express all of our feelings, including the dark ones, IS ultimately in the service of love and beauty. If Vince can't see the beauty of your style of music, it's his loss.

Rock on!
    Dixon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by [email protected]:
    Please don't do this! Think of a better way to make the world a better place. Music is a very powerful and sacred trust and should be in the service of love and beauty only. If you are really determined take five or ten years of your life to study all the forms of this very special art. Develope your skills as a musician and ask our Creator, God if you will,

called pop music to in the service of human venality, sex, greed, ego, ect. since none of these things are going to bring us real happyness, as you will eventually find out anyway.

Sincerely,
    Vince DaLuiso,

7. TopTop #7
    Juggledude

Vince, buddy, get down off your censoring horse and get a clue! Music is good, ANY music, even if you don't happen to like it, someone does, and the joy they get from listening to it is probably a pale shadow of the joy somone else gets from playing it, and the more joy in the world, from whatever source, the better!

Music is a powerful and sacred trust, one which has been given to ALL of humanity, not some elitist ordained minority, especially the self proclaimed kind. Let the energy of the music speak for itself. If it appeals to a broad audience, it will flourish, if it's atonal and harsh, it will probably only be heard by a few, but as evolution dictates, it will take on a life of it's own.

Play now, when you pick up a pennywhistle for the very first time, play 10 years from now, as an accomplished musician, play everywhere in between, and ask for blessings if you will, but know, if you don't, that by expressing your creative energy, you become an expression of spirit and are certainly serving humanity.

The world certainly DOES need more music, and less angst, including the type involved with trying to push your standards of excellence off onto others.

Royce

Quote Posted in reply to the post by [email protected]:

Sincerely,
    Vince DaLuiso,

8. TopTop #8
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Juggledude:
    Vince, buddy, get down off your censoring horse and get a clue! Music is good, ANY music, even if you don't happen to like it, someone does, and the joy they get from listening to it is probably a pale shadow of the joy somone else gets from playing it, and the more joy in the world, from whatever source, the better!
    {snip}
    Thanks for replying Royce! I was going to write something similar. And even though I have my own refined taste in music (having been raised with live string quartets and then moving on to a live sextet called The Grateful Dead (you'd be surprised by the similarity!) and other overtly spiritual and inspirational music, MDStokes idea for a band sounds like it could be kinda of fun! If you guys form a band, please be sure to post your first public performance here!

In the words of Michael Franti, which I thought was rather banal, "Everybody deserves music!"

Barry
    Last edited by Barry; 08-08-2006 at 03:37 PM.

9. TopTop #9
    MDStokes

You still up for the band. I am going to set up a time to meet. Let mw know.

Peace,

M

Quote Posted in reply to the post by peter_vroom:
    let's do it I play bass I have been playing for 7+ years.

10. TopTop #10
    mending1

singer in santa rosa is still interested!