Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Mudwoman

It's time for a HOLIDAY Season Foods BOYCOTT!

Holiday GE/GMOs Boycott

Let's VOTE with our $$$ and not buy ingredients / products from these No-on-Prop37 Labeling GMOs companies. AVOID their ORGANIC Brands, too. (See graphic attached - the RED side. Do SUPPORT the 'good guys' - the GREEN side.)

Here are the amounts some of these companies donated to defeat GE/GMO labeling:

General Mills = $1,230,000
    Del Monte = $674,000
    Campbell's = $598,000
    H.J. Heinz = $500,000
    Ocean Spray = $409,000
    McCormick = $248,000
    Land O'Lakes, Inc. = $151,000
    Dole = $171,262

CHOCOLATE Companies
    Nestle = $1,461,000
    Hershey's = $519,000
    Godiva = $42,000
    Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Expand   Expand  
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Moon

Re: It's time for a HOLIDAY Season Foods BOYCOTT!

Right on, Mudwoman. Thanks for doing the research. I'm disappointed to hear Ocean Spray,
    a workers' co-op the last i heard, took part. I'd like to ask people to boycott,
    not only the chocolate companies listed here (though of course homicidal Nestle has
    been under boycott for about half a century), but chocolate in general, unless it's fair-trade.
    I recently learned that nearly all chocolate sold in the US is harvested by enslaved children;
    there are slavers that run around Africa kidnapping children from their families and then
    beat them, starve them, sometimes rape them--until the children will do whatever the people
    they're then "sold" to want, which is to pick the cacao beans. Buy only fair-trade chocolate.
    Here's the link to Not for Sale's report on chocolate harvesting:
    https://www.notforsalecampaign.org/news/2009/04/07/chocolate-a-little-sweeter/
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Mudwoman: View Post
    Holiday GE/GMOs Boycott

Let's VOTE with our $$$ and not buy ingredients / products from these No-on-Prop37 Labeling GMOs companies. AVOID their ORGANIC Brands, too. (See graphic attached - the RED side. Do SUPPORT the 'good guys' - the GREEN side.)
    Here are the amounts some of these companies donated to defeat GE/GMO labeling:
    General Mills = $1,230,000
    Del Monte = $674,000
    Campbell's = $598,000
    H.J. Heinz = $500,000
    Ocean Spray = $409,000
    McCormick = $248,000
    Land O'Lakes, Inc. = $151,000
    Dole = $171,262
    CHOCOLATE Companies
    Nestle = $1,461,000
    Hershey's = $519,000
    Godiva = $42,000

4. TopTop #3
    Mudwoman

Gosh! Moon ~ Had NO idea the situation was so horrible with cacao harvesting. I don't eat much chocolate, but will purchase fair trade only from now on. Do you recall where you learned about this? I write a food blog: www.FigsWithBri.com and it would be worth doing an article for the winter holiday season on this topic.

Yeah, I'm disappointed about Ocean Spray, too. I had heard it was a workers cooperative, too. If so, I wonder if ALL worker members were in on that decision. Seems unlikely.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Moon: View Post
    Right on, Mudwoman. Thanks for doing the research. I'm disappointed to hear Ocean Spray, a workers' co-op the last i heard, took part.

I'd like to ask people to boycott, not only the chocolate companies listed here (though of course homicidal Nestle has been under boycott for about half a century), but chocolate in general, unless it's fair-trade.

I recently learned that nearly all chocolate sold in the US is harvested by enslaved children; there are slavers that run around Africa kidnapping children from their families and then beat them, starve them, sometimes rape them--until the children will do whatever the people they're then "sold" to want, which is to pick the cacao beans. Buy only fair-trade chocolate.

5. TopTop #4
    steph

Our appetites for luxury foods like chocolate, sugar, coffee etc. not only fuel crime, but destroy local environments and replace agricultural land for feeding inhabitants.

These luxury foods are indeed drugs of choice with global consequences.

It's worth remembering about now & then.

10 September 2012

Madagascar's luxury chocolate thieves strike fear into farmers

By Navdip DhariwalMadagascar

Navdip Dhariwal speaks to those affected by the bandits

It is nightfall in north-western Madagascar and fear is etched on the faces of farm workers as they gather in their remote village, Antanimandririna, to discuss a crisis: How to protect the world's sweetest crop from a growing number of armed bandits capitalising on the West's enduring love for fine chocolate?
    Amory, the 62-year-old village head, explains the high levels of crime.

"We had just stocked all of our recent harvest in large wooden stores at the back of the houses, when we woke to find all the pods had gone - stolen," he says.

"The men arrived with guns and threatened the farmers - they came up through the forest and we have heard of other incidents in neighbouring villages that their stocks too have been looted."
    Our cocoa is amongst the best money can buy but we cannot protect it”
    FlorenFarmer

Madagascar is home to some of the world's finest rich orange and red pods of cocoa, increasingly used today by Europe and America's finest chocolatiers.

Raw cocoa beans, used to make premium chocolate, have quite simply never been in higher demand.
    A surge in appetite for high-end chocolate sourced from single-origin growers has created a frenzied rush for the "dark gold".

The craving for luxury chocolate has also fuelled an increase in the price of some varieties of cocoa in the past few years, with traders paying 10 times the world cocoa price for the best beans.

In recent years, Madagascar, in particular, has yielded the most sought after beans.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19256838