Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Lorrie

At what age is considered a senior?

I was just curious. I think I'm getting close. I'm not sure. Would like to hear wacco opinions and informed facts.
    Thank you
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    "Mad" Miles

Re: At what age is considered a senior?

One year older than I am, once I turn 60. But I'll take the discounts, as I deny it!

3. TopTop #3
    Lorrie

Quote Posted in reply to the post by "Mad" Miles: View Post

One year older than I am, once I turn 60. But I'll take the discounts, as I deny it!
    Thanks Mad, but that sentence confuses me.

4. TopTop #4
    "Mad" Miles

A joke. I'm 56. Because of my bushy "Wages Of Neglect" beard, grown during my over two years of unemployment, I was given the senior discount at Airport Cinemas once, a month ago. Didn't demur or complain.

To unravel my confusing attempt at humor. I think Senior status generally starts when we turn 60. I could be wrong. That's just my recollection.

Since growing old is supposedly something we don't want to do, even though it's inevitable, as long as the alternative, death, doesn't occur, I was riffing about how I would deny that I'm old, but still take any discounts offered due to my advancing decrepitude.

Does that make sense?
    Last edited by Barry; 10-18-2012 at 06:33 PM.

5. TopTop #5
    Lorrie

Quote Posted in reply to the post by "Mad" Miles: View Post
    `
    A joke. I'm 56. Because of my bushy "Wages Of Neglect" beard, grown during my over two years of unemployment, I was given the senior discount at Airport Cinemas once, a month ago. Didn't demur or complain.

To unravel my confusing attempt at humor. I think Senior status generally starts when we turn 60. I could be wrong. That's just my recollection.

Since growing old is supposedly something we don't want to do, even though it's inevitable, as long as the alternative, death, doesn't occur, I was riffing about how I would deny that I'm old, but still take any discounts offered due to my advancing decrepitude.

Does that make sense?

`
    lol. YES! Makes sense now!
    You bring up lots more topics than age of a senior. I would love to talk about them too. But then Barry would have to make a new thread and we would go all off topic. So I won't go there for now. Ha ha
    But I want to thank you for your response to my question.
    60 and not 56 is senior to you. (But not the movie theater a month ago)

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #6
    cocreator

Hi Lorrie ~

This is a great question, and the answers are all over the map. According to the AARP, one assumes "senior" status at 50, which to me is a "you've got to be kidding" lower limit. According to many "discounts offered," you're a senior at 55. For Social Security purposes, you need to be at least 62 before you can claim benefits. And in the workplace, the traditional age for retirement has been 65, though with the plethora of aging Boomers and greater longevity overall, this is also shifting.

There was a very interesting Wacco thread on what older adults prefer to be called in 2011. Synchronistically, I was just looking it up a few hours ago, so here's the link: https://www.waccobb.net/forums/showt...851#post136851

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lorrie: View Post
    I was just curious. I think I'm getting close. I'm not sure. Would like to hear wacco opinions and informed facts.
    Thank you

8. TopTop #7
    galephil

Generally government assistance programs consider anyone 62+ to be a senior. Private businesses use a range of ages. Sixty-five seems to be the top end; others use ages as low as 55. AARP (American Association of Retired Persons) uses 50, as does the Osher Lifelong Learning Program at SSU. Being a senior is great: wisdom comes, along with some great senior discounts.

I'm there by every measure!
    Gale

Thank you

9. TopTop #8
    Ice Queen

Well, as my friends say there's old old and there's young old. @74 I'm told I'm young old. To be a member of the Bennett Valley Senior Center you have to be 50. To collect Social Security you have to be 62 and that is with reduced benefits because THEY don't think you're old enough to get full benefits. You are really as old as your tongue and a little bit older than your teeth. I personally am thinking of starting up a Gray Panthers group. What do you think?

Thank you

10. TopTop #9
    Artaloha

Oh, this is such a good question! Well, you can join AARP at age 50, or is it 55, I can't recall. Then, when your bosses suggest you retire, that's another indicator that you're a "senior". You used to be eligible for Social Security beginning at age 55, I think, but then they changed it to 60, and then 62, and unless you're younger now, which means you have to wait longer to be "old enough" - I think it's gone up to age 67. So that's interesting: you're older now, but still not old enough; it's almost like being too young, but without all the fun of youthful stupidity. Mostly, I think we decide when we're "senior" by the way we feel physically, mentally, emotionally. If you're asking, I'd say you're probably "on the cusp," but on the other hand it might just be a touch of the flu.
    Be Happy!!

Thank you